Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Password — Parallax Forums

Password

I purchased a new computer but Parallax will not recognize my password...why not?

Discovery

Comments

• caps lock setting?

Try typing your password onto notepad (so you can see the characters are correct), then copy-paste to the Parallax login page.

... or follow the password reset steps at the forum login page.

Does that help?
  • And which browser are you using? Some browsers have the vital information uploaded onto a cloud based storage site. By signing in, it is possible to recover it.

----
    Mascot on vacation. Please leave a message at the sounds of the moose.
  • I had this problem years ago when I first started with Parallax Forums. Every password that I tried would not be recognized by Parallax. Parallax eventually sent me a password via email and that has worked ever since until I tried to use the password on my new laptop computer. Someone at Parallax made it work originally.

Sincerely,

Discovery
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2019-09-17 02:21
    Password Discovery.

well I never had that problem, but after the last forum move I had to change my PW. On one of my computers I delete cookies after closing, there the 'stay logged' in does not work, the other one keeps cookies and stay 'logged in' works, so the Parallax Login uses cookies.

Maybe you are not allowing it?

Mike
  • Discovery wrote: »
    I had this problem years ago when I first started with Parallax Forums. Every password that I tried would not be recognized by Parallax. Parallax eventually sent me a password via email and that has worked ever since until I tried to use the password on my new laptop computer. Someone at Parallax made it work originally.

Sincerely,

Discovery

This remains an option, so if you'd like I could reset your password for you, and email you the details.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    There's a good chance the old browser can show you what the password is. For example, with Firefox, go to Firefox's Preferences menu then scroll down to "Logins and Passwords" click on "Saved Logins", then click on "Show Passwords" and scroll through the list to find https://forums.parallax.com entry and there will be the password in the password column.
  • Discovery,

This may sound like a stupid question but are you absolutely sure that you are using the correct password?

I myself have only had a problem after one of the forum upgrades a few years ago and I wasn't the only one.
  • Genetix...it is not a stupid question, but the password is correct.

VonSzarvas...how would it work? Would there be one password for both machines or a new password for the new machine?

Discovery
  • Login to the forum requires one username and password. You can login simultaneously from multiple browsers/devices.

If you can login from one device already, then it seems the issue is with the secondary device.

what hardware/OS/browser are you having issues with?

If logging in from Chrome or Firefox, have you tried incognito mode?
    I'm guessing Discovery doesn't enter the password by hand on the old computer because the browser there knows the password and enters it for him.
  • That is correct. The old machine has the username and password and just requires a sign-in.

The new machine has Chrome. How do I get username and password entered into the new machine. I figured that I would be able to enter username and password on the new machine and have it stored just like the old machine. Apparently, that will not work.

Sincerely,

Discovery
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-09-19 00:23
    @Discovery - you can help everyone help you if you post screenshots and also try out suggestions such as using incognito mode, then provide feedback. We can't help much otherwise.
    Discovery wrote: »
    I figured that I would be able to enter username and password on the new machine and have it stored just like the old machine. Apparently, that will not work.
    The most likely reason is because you've not quite spelt the username or password correctly. The old browser should be able to tell you what it knows. I gave an example earlier of where Firefox has its passwords for review but presumably you weren't using Firefox. You'll need to look for same in menus of other web browsers.
  • And did you use Chrome earlier? Because....
    You said your new machine has Chrome on it. That's great, even amazing. That's what I use unless the site complains. And did you also create a user name and a password that's so unique you have to write it down and store it in a safe place? Because the way Chrome works, it expects the user to have done so previously. And then from there to use it to sign into the new instance. From there Chrome will restore everything. Including the hidden features that can only be viewed when the right username and passwords are entered into it, those are the stored passwords.

From there all will be okay.
    Auto-logins is such an ancient and common feature of browsers that Chrome will also likely have a list of logins, like Firefox does, that you can look through to find what username and password is used for what sites.
  • Here is a thought experiment for you. Say a person wanted to sign-up to access the Forum and he/she entered a username and a password but the password was not accepted by Parallax. No matter what characters were used in repeated attempts at entering a password...Parallax would not accept them. Would you tell he/she that they must obtain Firefox and sort through usernames and passwords or enter incognito mode to provide feedback to get a password to work?

Sincerely,

Discovery
  • My login seems to stay intact in Chrome on my MacBook. With Firefox on Windows, I do have to relogin from time-to-time. Not a huge hassle, though. So methinks it's not a server issue, but a client issue.

-Phi
    Would you tell he/she that they must obtain Firefox and sort through usernames and passwords or enter incognito mode to provide feedback to get a password to work?
    Put some effort in. You're less at the whim of others if you have some control of your own destiny.

• Gentlemen...this is a Parallax Inc. problem, not a client problem.

Discovery
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2019-09-20 13:54
    That is correct. The old machine has the username and password and just requires a sign-in.

The new machine has Chrome. How do I get username and password entered into the new machine. I figured that I would be able to enter username and password on the new machine and have it stored just like the old machine. Apparently, that will not work.

Sincerely,

Discovery

why won't that work? what happens? can you take screenshots or describe exactly where you have problems with login?

so far we can't help you because we don't understand the problem.

Usually you'd go the the forum, type your username and password into the sign-in textboxes and click the red submit "sign in" button. If you have typed the correct details it will work. If the password is wrong, you can click the "forgot password" link that appears to the right of the sign-in button, and follow the instructions to reset your password.

After login, Chrome would usually popup a window asking if you want to save the login credentials. If it doesn't, you'd need to visit the Chrome settings page and adjust the stored password and/or site block list settings. If that's the issue I could take some pictures showing what might need adjusting.

If you prefer, you might try calling Parallax support and have them work through the issue with you step-by-step.

• I found the problem. On the old machine, when I call up Parallax, the Parallax Forums page is presented. When Discovery is entered as the username the password is entered automatically and all is well. If I enter Discovery as the username and remove the automatically entered password then manually enter the password...all is well.

On the new machine, which also uses Google Chrome, when I go to Parallax I get the Corporate page and there is a login available there. This is where the problem resides. At this login, Parallax will not accept the Discovery password.

On the new machine when I search on Parallax Forums and get the Parallax Forums page then enter my username and password everything is recognized and all is well. Apparently, the Parallax, Inc. page and the Parallax Forums page represent different domains in Parallax. This was surprising.

Sincerely,

Discovery
    I found the problem. On the old machine, when I call up Parallax, the Parallax Forums page is presented. When Discovery is entered as the username the password is entered automatically and all is well. If I enter Discovery as the username and remove the automatically entered password then manually enter the password...all is well.

On the new machine, which also uses Google Chrome, when I go to Parallax I get the Corporate page and there is a login available there. This is where the problem resides. At this login, Parallax will not accept the Discovery password.

On the new machine when I search on Parallax Forums and get the Parallax Forums page then enter my username and password everything is recognized and all is well. Apparently, the Parallax, Inc. page and the Parallax Forums page represent different domains in Parallax. This was surprising.

Sincerely,

Discovery

That is the correct way Logins and Passwords work. The Corporate page Login is used for orders. The Forum page uses a seperate login for the forums.
  • All is well.

Discovery
    All is well.

Discovery

Good to hear!