Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Auto Detect P2ASM for P2D2 and P2EVAL boards - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Auto Detect P2ASM for P2D2 and P2EVAL boards

2»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,171
    Here's the conclusion on the whole problem - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1466494/#Comment_1466494
    cgracey wrote: »
    ... What Evanh lucked upon is maybe a sufficient trick, but it's only by virtue of subtlety in the hardware implementation that it works.
    What Chip is saying there is that something like variations in production batches could change behaviour of what locks up and what doesn't when not using the workaround.

Funnily, Cluso, you were the one who first complained about it. At the time I had long placed all the reliability issues at the feet of USB, of which did have its own issues but wasn't the biggie in this case.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    evanh wrote: »
    Hmm, only the entire conversation yesterday - You are using prior-mode handover but not completely.

Obviously we are on a different page as I don't understand what you are trying to say. I do not see any bugs so please show me.
    edited 2019-09-18 08:56
    There is no opt-out option when dealing with the raw HUBSET instruction. Compiler writers have to package any _HUBSET() function with the workaround baked in. Loaders have to follow one of the two handover options.

And if prior-mode handover is selected then half the burden of the handover procedure is placed on the loaded program.

edited 2019-09-18 12:03
    evan,
    Thanks for that link. I had skipped over your solution when I discovered that the [color]LOADERS ARE OVERWRITING USERS CODE!!![/color]

DO YOU GUYS REALISE WHAT IS HAPPENING !!!
    ALL SORTS OF DANGERS HERE WHEN YOUR CODE STOPS WORKING !!!
    IMHO BIGGEST TRAP HERE FOR USERS EVER !!!
    edited 2019-09-18 12:41
    Good.

Huh, just been looking at loadp2 sources, I think I see something unintended in loadp2.c. It looks like Dave has at some stage changed the clock frequency integer representation from MHz to Hz. There is a compare in the get_clock_mode() function that checks for >180 and then changes XDIVP from 2 to 1 if true. It's pretty obvious this is intended to be 180 MHz but since it's only 180 Hz that means loadp2 is always using XDIVP = 1. Doesn't have a downside really and I'm not in favour of such a high intended threshold so it's better as is.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    evan,
    Thanks for that link. I had skipped over your solution when I discovered that the [color]LOADERS ARE OVERWRITING USERS CODE!!![/color]

DO YOU GUYS REALISE WHAT IS HAPPENING !!!
    ALL SORTS OF DANGERS HERE WHEN YOUR CODE STOPS WORKING !!!
    IMHO BIGGEST TRAP HERE FOR USERS EVER !!!

loadp2 only changes anything in the user code if you give it the -PATCH option. By default it leaves the user's code alone.

PNut never patches anything.

Are there any other loaders? I think ozpropdev had a Python loader, but I don't think it patches anything either.

• I've updated the loadp2 fast loader to always go back to RCFAST mode unless the -PATCH flag was given on the command line. This means that -PATCH is now required for p2gcc and similar compilers that expect the frequency and baud rate to be set up by the loader, but it makes the fast loader behavior match that of the original ROM loader (-SINGLE).
    You have been busy there Eric! Thanks heaps, good solution, I must update ...
    latest code v008 which reloads the constant clockfreq in case it's overwritten by the loader
    I'm reasonably confident Pnut stays in RCFAST for the download and handover. No need for any patching then.
    Eric,
    Small improvement for the new non-patching RCFAST handover code - shift the HUBSET #0 up one line ahead of the WAITX. See https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1475472/#Comment_1475472 for the reason.

• evanh wrote: »
    Eric,
    Small improvement for the new non-patching RCFAST handover code - shift the HUBSET #0 up one line ahead of the WAITX. See https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1475472/#Comment_1475472 for the reason.

Thanks Evan.
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Adding further to detecting boards, here's one for Rev A/B silicon detect.
    'Silicon Rev A/B detect

dat	org

getscp	pa	'save current scope mode
    	mov	pb,pa
    	add	pb,#1
    	setscp	pb	'change scope mode
    	getscp	pb	'read back scope mode
    	setscp	pa	'restore scope mode

cmp	pa,pb wz
    	drvnz	#56	'no match = Rev B silicon
    	jmp	#$

Oz,
    That is way buggy. GETSCP, on revB, reads data, not the config. On revA it seems to effectively be a NOP. So there is no way to preserve any prior config without an explicit reserved variable/mailbox for it. However, I've noted in Eric's sources that he is starting a self terminating fresh cog to run the check. The launcher task waits for it to fill a hubRAM location. This way, the config within that fresh cog is temporary.

I'm not a fan of Cluso's solution because it relies on the copied ROM binary still existing in hubRAM.
  • Evan
    It worked for me with no issues but here's a better way.
    	mov	pa,ptra
    	rdlut	pb,ptra++
    	cmp	ptra,pa wz	'Rev A PTRA remains unchanged

ozpropdev wrote: »
    Evan
    	mov	pa,ptra
    	rdlut	pb,ptra++

Nice and simple! I like it B)
    Very compact, nice! Eric's one uses a difference in PTR++ workings as well.

• ozpropdev wrote: »
    Evan
    	mov	pa,ptra
    	rdlut	pb,ptra++

This is one cycle quicker and changes only one arbitrary register:
    	mov	reg,#1
    	xoro32	reg
    	cmp	reg,0	wc	'C = 1 if rev A

CMP reg,#0 wc/wz/wcz
    # missing
    edited 2019-10-04 23:53
    Good idea Tony. Not touching PTRA is tidier.

Cluso,
    XORO32 is like ALTS, it replaces the data of subsequent instruction's S operand. So that "0" is just a filler for the assembler. I use the 0-0 convention myself.

I'll give it a test ...

EDIT: All good:
    RevA chip compares these two values
    42a01290   50ad0021

RevB chip compares these two values
    84908405   62690201

Testing code:
    		mov	pa, #1
    		xoro32	pa
    		mov	msec, 0-0

call	#itoh
    		call	#putsp

mov	pa, msec
    		call	#itoh
    		call	#putnl

• TonyB_TonyB_ Posts: 2,120
    edited 2019-10-05 12:06
    deleted
  • TonyB_TonyB_ Posts: 2,120
    edited 2019-10-05 12:16
    evanh wrote: »
    TonyB_ wrote: »
    This is one cycle quicker and changes only one arbitrary register:
    	mov	reg,#1
    	xoro32	reg
    	cmp	reg,0	wc	'C = 1 if rev A

Good idea Tony. Not touching PTRA is tidier.

Cluso,
    XORO32 is like ALTS, it replaces the data of subsequent instruction's S operand. So that "0" is just a filler for the assembler. I use the 0-0 convention myself.

I'll give it a test ...

EDIT: All good:
    RevA chip compares these two values
    42a01290   50ad0021

RevB chip compares these two values
    84908405   62690201

I used 0 not 0-0 as my aim was smallest and quickest code with fewest characters. The following is an improvement on the last point, but doesn't work with #1:
    	mov	reg,#2
    	xoro32	reg
    	or	reg,0	wc	'C = 0 for rev A

• This variant uses less characters and technically one less long by using a existing register. :lol:
    	mov	pa,#2
    	xoro32	pa
    	or	pa,0	wc	'C = 0 for rev A

using
    or pa,0 wc
    is confusing!!
    Use
    or pa,0-0 wc
    as it shows that the s operand is being changed by the xoro32 instruction which is easily forgotten.
  • Is it really a good idea to rely on the xoro32 sequence never changing again? I like the ptra++ methods because that does seem unlikely to change in future versions of the chip.
    edited 2019-10-07 01:20
    Hehe, maybe we should make a point of re-rolling the XORO32 tumblers for each silicon revision.