Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Recommendations for web/email hosting — Parallax Forums

Recommendations for web/email hosting

Every several months I have an issue with my web hosting provider, I want to make a switch.

I don't actually need to host any web pages (possibly one) , just park several domains and a few different email accounts. I just read today that it is possible to have two different service providers, one for the web page and another for the email. I did not know that.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Comments

• W9GFO wrote: »
    Every several months I have an issue with my web hosting provider, I want to make a switch.

I don't actually need to host any web pages (possibly one) , just park several domains and a few different email accounts. I just read today that it is possible to have two different service providers, one for the web page and another for the email. I did not know that.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

I just went through this recently when my current hosting provider made a change that I thought would affect me and force me to change (it didn't). So I did a bit of research into some bigger name hosting providers, like enom and Bluehost. Bluehost has good pricing, support for email, lots of databases (unlimited DBs, actually, just a limit on total table count) and includes SSH support. I'd recommend them.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2019-08-26 02:04
    I use futurequest.net for both functions. I've been very happy with them for more than 20 years. Highly recommended!

-Phil
  • All depends upon what you want and what you need.
    just park several domains and a few different email accounts. I just read today that it is possible to have two different service providers, one for the web page and another for the email.

Service provider? How does that even apply to web hosting?

Do you want emails with a different name? Your "service provider" should provide at least one, and if you are hosting a web page or site, then the hosting server should provide you with at least one other, if not many, with a different domain name.

Please describe in more detail :)
  • Well my site, is currently roosting on AWS. The registration function for gregg.levine.name was done via

register.com and it used their Partner function, which is because at the time I was using AT&T as my e-mail service provider. From there, I had it running local, because it was installed on a box connected to my service provider, via a router. (I still have the router and the box, but the box isn't being used.) Half the problem I collided with was that the methods to enable the domain name to travel to the AWS site, were complicated. However mail sent to gregg@levine.name will be forwarded to the registered e-mail with this forum.

I bring this up group because I do recommend AWS if anyone does need a service provider. However, an Amazon account is needed.

Of course partner this may not be what you do want but it does explain what I did.
    ----
    And this message is supported by the Perry Mason Attorney-at-Law offices in LA, and in the Brent Building.
  • If running your own server like AWS, I'd STRONGLY recommend digital ocean instead. It's cheaper and WAY simpler (AWS is crazy complex, though flexible).

I have some stuff for work that's on AWS and I can't wait to move it over to digital ocean... Just a matter of finding the time to do the migration.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I use mochahost.com and they've been good and cheap. They don't jack up the price once the first period expires like others do. I have 7 domains and websites with them. However, it does depend on your volumes - mine are low.

Work uses AWS but they have high data volumes for downloading videos to customers.

Registration of my domains are with namesilo except for the .com.au which are with netregistry.
  • I'd recommend that you avoid any brand owned by Endurance International Group. They all tend to be terrible: they jack up prices after a while, have bad customer support, etc.

I've been using RamNode: it's cheap but requires you to do all setup by hand.
  • I'd recommend that you avoid any brand owned by Endurance International Group. They all tend to be terrible: they jack up prices after a while, have bad customer support, etc.

Wow... that's a lot of subsidiaries that they have. I notice Bluehost is on there - the one I almost switched to last week. Have you had any interaction with them? The only interaction I had was chatting with a sales person who very promptly and accurately answered all of my pre-sales questions.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-08-26 14:26
    I'm using FatCow and have been for years. They've mostly been fine but I have a lot of trouble with my email being rejected by Comcast. Like any hosting service, they share IP addresses between customers so if any customer is labeled a spammer then everyone who shares that IP address has trouble. Has anyon had this problem with other hosting services? I even see it happening to private domain email accounts hosted by Google. Is this a universal problem? Are there any solutions?
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    I'd recommend that you avoid any brand owned by Endurance International Group. They all tend to be terrible: they jack up prices after a while, have bad customer support, etc.

Wow... that's a lot of subsidiaries that they have. I notice Bluehost is on there - the one I almost switched to last week. Have you had any interaction with them? The only interaction I had was chatting with a sales person who very promptly and accurately answered all of my pre-sales questions.

Look up Endurance International Group on, say, Reddit to see what others think about them. Of course they'll answer your pre-sales questions, because they want your business. The two subsidiaries of EIG that I've personally had experience with are HostGator, which used to be good but is now overpriced (after they got bought out by EIG), and IX Web Hosting, whose default 404 page is a blank or nearly blank page with a strange script that doesn't look like it does anything legitimate. I have an uncle who used to use used FatCow, another EIG subsidiary, but he has since switched away.
  • So, sorry for threadnapping, but if I want to have a website at exampledomain.com, made with custom html, as well as email server(someone@exampledomain.com), what would be best?
  • For email, use Google's G-suite if you can. Then you get all the wonderfulness that is GMail but with your own domain.

For hosting your own website and "how do I get started" that's a much bigger topic than I think can be reasonably handled within this thread. It's not hard... and you can probably get all the help you need between Google and these forums... but that's way off topic and not a one-line answer.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I used IXwebhosting for many years. Was great but then they started jacking up the prices (and were sold IIRC) so I changed to iPage. A couple of years back I switched to mochahost and they've been fine and don't jack up the prices after the first period like many others do. So far I've been happy although I've broken a couple of my websites (my fault) so they're in need of some TLC. But my emails all go thru nicely.
    For email, use Google's G-suite if you can. Then you get all the wonderfulness that is GMail but with your own domain.
    I am doing that. However, I've also had trouble with Comcast labeling mail coming from that address as spam as well. Have you had that problem? I also see similar problems with msn.com addresses.

• Many thanks, Cluso!
  • David Betz wrote: »
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    For email, use Google's G-suite if you can. Then you get all the wonderfulness that is GMail but with your own domain.
    I am doing that. However, I've also had trouble with Comcast labeling mail coming from that address as spam as well. Have you had that problem? I also see similar problems with msn.com addresses.

Nope. My family used @zemon.name addresses and we don't seem to have any problems with our email being reported as spam
    David Betz wrote: »

Nope. My family used @zemon.name addresses and we don't seem to have any problems with our email being reported as spam
    Hmmm. I guess I’m just unlucky.

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    idbruce wrote: »
    All depends upon what you want and what you need.
    just park several domains and a few different email accounts. I just read today that it is possible to have two different service providers, one for the web page and another for the email.

Service provider? How does that even apply to web hosting?

Do you want emails with a different name? Your "service provider" should provide at least one, and if you are hosting a web page or site, then the hosting server should provide you with at least one other, if not many, with a different domain name.

Please describe in more detail :)

Service provider in this context is the business providing the services, not internet access.

I have several domains. Only one is used for a webpage, the rest are strictly for email. The domain that I use for my main email I have had for over 20 years. Yes, the hosting provider also provides emails, but I have read that you can get email hosting only (using my own domain) while having a different provider handle the webpage hosting for that same domain name.

My needs are very light, nothing advanced or fancy at all is desired. Just plain old reliable email service using the domains that I already own.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    ... I notice Bluehost is on there - the one I almost switched to last week. Have you had any interaction with them? The only interaction I had was chatting with a sales person who very promptly and accurately answered all of my pre-sales questions.

Bluehost is who I use now. I currently can log into my bluehost account, but cannot log into the cPanel portion which uses the exact same username and password. I am sure that spending some time with tech support will clear it up but I would rather not have to face this issue once or twice a year as I have been. I've been with bluehost a few years, I have had more email problems with them then all the previous years combined.

The last time I had a problem was when they shut down my email service because thousands of emails were being sent out from it daily. I asked how that was possible and they told me it was "spoofing" and to just change my password. When I asked how someone else got my password they got indignant and kept repeating that it was not "hacked" but was just "spoofing". Spoofing as I understand it is when an email "appears" to come from a source that it did not - not when mass quantities of emails are sent using my login credentials. Before that their solution was to increase my quota, I had to tell a couple people, repeatedly, that I did not want my quota increased because it was not me trying to send out vast quantities of emails.

This time, the problem is that I can receive email (most of the time) but cannot send. If I could log in to my cPanel I could probably tell why - but I can't.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2019-08-29 16:24
    whois give you two email account at no extra charge, you can use their webmail or use windows mail to read/send.
    Also free site forwarding so what you have to pay, is the domain name only.

https://shop.whois.com/domain-registration/domain-registration-price.php