Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where is Heater? — Parallax Forums

Where is Heater?

Place ain't the same without him. I also miss a bunch of others...WTF.

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,276
    edited 2019-07-27 16:43
    Me too.

@Heater. was last here in February. AFAIK, about the same time he had an unexpected change of employment.

Would be good to learn that he's busy and well.
  • I did an email to his personal account 2-3 months ago, but met with crickets.
  • Thank goodness some of you are still here. Nothing like several years ago. Too many changes after Chris left parallax. And this place is much less attractive to Low level hobbyists like myself the last couple of years.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-07-27 18:11
    I agree, this place ain't the same without Heater. But then again, we manage to get things done instead of talking about getting things done :)
    Heater dwells and debates in RPi land these days.

P.S. I'm pretty sure this is the same Heater but then again......
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Hey all: I'm just busy as heck with my toy design business, still doing lots of experimenting & building but can't share much since it's mostly proprietary. It's a good problem, since my hobby has become my business. It's fun, interesting, educational, exciting, and terrifying all at the same time. A lot of activity has transferred to Facebook, where I see Ken, Whit, Carol, Nikos & Jon/xanadu posting a lot, especially on the Blockly for Microcontrollers page.

Consider joining Facebook to see more activity, even if you're primarily a lurker.
  • Hey Erco, nice to see you here. I miss your deal sniffing prowess.

I did catch one today you might appreciate. I dropped into the rotting husk of my local Office Depot and saw a stack of "slimline" USB battery packs -- the form factor you're supposed to tape to the back of your phone -- marked down from $10, which was not a bad price, to $3.04, which was a very good price, then that crossed out and hand-changed to $1.00. For 5,000 mAh batteries with USB regulation and charging. I orbited the store and when they were still there I scooped all seven of them up before exiting.

This might wake up a couple of dormant small robot projects.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    DOH, you have awakened this slumbering giant! I may have to check out an Office Depot soon, I have been using 1200 mah powerbanks in projects lately. Thanks for the tip, localroger!

I think some rectangular powerbanks are the makings of a robot chassis right there. Just foam tape on some motors/servos, wheels & PCB...
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2019-07-28 19:00
    The Ativa power banks from OD also have two outputs, one rated for 2A and the other for 1A, and a soft on/off switch which is another thing you don't need in your robot project.
  • FYI. i have seen Heater on the PI forums but not a lot. I do hope he is ok. Did not know about job change. He helped me a lot in the past, It does seam a lot of people left with the debates about the P2.

Peace....
  • What is Heater's actual name? I can't seem to remember the real names of forum members. Sometimes I have communicated with them directly by email but I can't always remember the mapping between their forum handle and their email address.
  • I don't believe he ever revealed his real name.

A kind of incognito Heater !
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    I don't believe he ever revealed his real name.

Well, I hope he returns at some point. Someone who is in touch with him might want to mention that we are very close to having what is probably production P2 hardware.

He did at one point when he visited Chip. I'll leave it up to the reader to investigate. :)
  • I even miss old Loopy and I don't think we've heard from ErNa for a while and where's T_Chap with the real-world projects...always interesting. Bruce is also conspicuous by his absence.

This is my only resource for useful feedback; every other forum is next to useless.
  • I agree.

Heater has and probably will provide useful advice. I did hope he'd be able to provide some advice on my interesting problems this time. Bruce is probably very busy with his problems that would cross our eyes. And as for Loopy? I went over my old posts earlier with regards to many of my (what else?) earlier problems, and when he did contribute they were decidedly interesting.

And for the others? Got me.
    ----
    And this is for the Wookiee Debating Society regularly scheduled meetings.

Yes your right.

Does the company want us to include our real names someplace outside of the store side?
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2019-07-29 20:50
    Heater.'s real name? Well like me he belongs into the group of people called Michael. A very common name at some time, In School classes, in Bars, wherever I go there are usually more then one of us. So every Michael has a nickname. I for example am German Mike here in town to distinguish me form Chevrolet Mike, Marihuana Mike and Cricket who is also a Mike.

I am also pretty sure @Mickster is a Mike too.

So Heater got his nickname too, in some sort he is lucky, could have been called Tube or Valve...

But I also miss him. Sadly a lot of people left while the P2 was slowly coming into shape.

Mike
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,604
    edited 2019-07-29 21:45
    Heck, I bared all, many moons ago when I had a little go-around with Bruce, regarding patents where I posted a couple of mine.

Michael, officially but I have always used my middle name, Craig.

Edit: In retrospect, I shoulda stuck with Mick because Americans, including my wife, call me Creg and the Italians call me Gleg-a :lol:
  • Uhuh.
    Now that's settled, the one of "where is he?" can be asked again.
  • Peter was right but I ain't going RPi...no siree.
  • msrobots wrote: »
    So Heater got his nickname too, in some sort he is lucky, could have been called Tube or Valve...

Actually Heater got his vacuum tube heater avatar as a gift from one of the other users when Parallax switched to the current forum software, which defaulted everyone to crazy face avatars and Heater HATED his.
  • Bruce is also conspicuous by his absence.
    Bruce is probably very busy with his problems that would cross our eyes.

I am still lurking.... Mostly just reading posts instead of participating.

As mentioned in a P2 thread, my mother died in March. Between grieving, taking care of household problems and chores, and trying to get a grasp on my life again, I really have not felt much like talking, but the wheels are always turning :)
  • Bruce, I had not heard about your mother. My condolances. My own mother passed in 2011. Good luck with everything going forward.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2019-07-30 14:54
    localroger wrote: »
    Bruce, I had not heard about your mother. My condolances. My own mother passed in 2011. Good luck with everything going forward.[/quote

Same with me, except it was my father. He was the one who got me started in computers and electronics and even SciFi.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I do know heaters real name, and so does Chip. But I don’t think it would be right for any of us to reveal a persons identity without their permission.
    I expect a few old forumistas will at least drop in when the final P2 silicon is released.
    Haven’t seen hippy in a while either.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    I do know heaters real name, and so does Chip. But I don’t think it would be right for any of us to reveal a persons identity without their permission.
    I expect a few old forumistas will at least drop in when the final P2 silicon is released.

Check out the RPi forum, you will notice a user called "hippy". Is it just coincidence or have we entered the twilight zone?
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Heater's name is shared by too many others, or at least some high-profile ones on the net, so a search doesn't work very well. But as I recall the company he worked for folded, and he and some other former employees decided to start a new company and bring over some of the old customers. The last post I read mentioned that he expected to be very very busy for some time.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2019-07-30 22:40
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Check out the RPi forum, you will notice a user called "hippy". Is it just coincidence or have we entered the twilight zone?

Definitely the same hippy and the same heater.

Maybe heater just got fed up waiting for the P2 to be finished and like a lot of others just drifted away.....

Hopefully to return someday ;-)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2019-07-31 08:38
    Edit: Ah, two users - both hippy and Heater.

• lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2019-07-31 21:43
    I remember reading about "hippy" but I don't ever remember him being active in the forum when I first posted in the forum which I think was 2007/8. Didn't 'hippy' reverse engineer the Spin interpreter?
    I also wondered what happened to 'kuroneko'.