I love the Prop & Spin!

My brother's birthday is tomorrow(the 25th). I rolled out to the gas station to get him a Butterfinger(his favorite candybar), and while I was riding back, I had an idea: Why not drop it out of a box at the push of a switch? So I walked in my room and reached for a BoE. Then another thought hit me: I've made the Prop speak before, so whay not do it again? So I grabbed a Standard Servo and my PropBoE. I pulled up the SimpleTalk.spin file out of the Propeller Tool library and made a copy under a different name. That copy is posted. Not super great craftsmanship, but it took an hour of code and 20 mins of assembly(while helping mom with dinner!).
Windows 10 Home:
Propeller Tool 1.3.2, BASIC Stamp Editor 2.5.4, Javelin Stamp IDE x.x.x, Arduino IDE, PST
Hardware:
BASIC Stamp Board of Education, Propeller Board of Education, Propeller Project Board, Propeller Mini

Comments

• Here is the box with the front open. He is going to LOVE IT when the butterfinger pops out!
    Windows 10 Home:
    Propeller Tool 1.3.2, BASIC Stamp Editor 2.5.4, Javelin Stamp IDE x.x.x, Arduino IDE, PST
    Hardware:
    BASIC Stamp Board of Education, Propeller Board of Education, Propeller Project Board, Propeller Mini
  • Nothing says "Happy Birthday" better than an automated ButterFinger delivery system. Good Job
    Along with 'Antimatter' and 'Dark Matter' we've recently discovered the existence of
    `Doesn't Matter`, which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever.
  • Thanks!
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:
  • Neat project! The plain box makes it even better.
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,484
    The start of a vending machine!
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they donโ€™t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Awesome Cronk's tag line and this thread make me think about the rapid disassembly of a gift box. I'm not talking explosives or even compressed air. I was just thinking about holding several sides, or five of six sides, of a box in place with rubber bands. A wireless command, or perhaps a pushbutton on the box, causes servo(s) to release the bands. The box sides quickly fly away.

This has to be done. Hmm...Megan's birthday is next...
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 693
    edited 2019-07-25 - 21:17:15
    He got his butterfinger! I tried to post a video, but I cannot upload the file from my phone.
    @K2 the tagline is from the YouTube video "How not to land an orbital rocket booster" posted by SpaceX. The sides of the box could be spring loaded outward(pen springs), then restrain them with string. Just a pop latch to release all of the strings simultaneously.
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,241
    edited 2019-07-25 - 22:51:48
    AwesomeCronk, like the names of their recovery ships SpaceX cribbed that line themselves from the late Iain M. Banks' Culture series. Your tagline comes from the novel Player of Games. It begins with the titular HP playing an immersive VR battle game like high-tech paintball on steroids; when Gurgeh gets shot his mech suit shuts down and "You are dead," a crisp little voice said. Later he complains to the companion who talked him into playing about all the wasted blown up bits of battle stuff, and she utters the tagline, followed by "I could put it back together in a few minutes." I think Elon Musk must be a pretty big fan of Banks.
  • Interesting. Thanks for the informative post!๐Ÿ˜ I must find this book.
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:
  • Thnx
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:
  • "Rapid unscheduled disassembly" is almost certainly not original to Banks: https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/10022/who-coined-the-phrase-rapid-unscheduled-disassembly
  • mpark, while there may be a prior history of similar phrases both of the recovery ship names are not only from Banks, they are also from Player of Games, so I'll put my money there as to where SpaceX got the snark for their video.
  • Everybody in both our world and theirs tend to invent something specific. So naming of names is itself part of it.

---
    And this is sponsored by the Enterprise Glee Club.
  • Words are only English if we all agree that they are.๐Ÿค”
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware: