Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Maker Faire Detroit - We'll Be There — Parallax Forums

Maker Faire Detroit - We'll Be There

Hope to see some of you guys at Maker Faire Detroit! We're there both days (Saturday and Sunday). Indoors, toward the very middle of The Henry Ford Museum near the big DC3 airplane.

Will be showing off static Construction Robots, and Rocket Simulation Controllers made with Parallax Prop. We'll be in blue shirts.

Comments

• Um, Keith I won't be there, but that plane isn't a DC3, she's a Ford Tri-Motor. Who was built around the same period. And oddly enough was found frequently working the same airlines as the Goony Bird.
  • https://www.kinvert.com/maker-faire-detroit-the-henry-ford-2017/

Scroll down to Why STEM is Important. Also just above New for Maker Faire Detroit - Army Tank Laser Tag.
  • https://www.kinvert.com/maker-faire-detroit-the-henry-ford-2017/

Scroll down to Why STEM is Important. Also just above New for Maker Faire Detroit - Army Tank Laser Tag.

Ah. Interesting. Now why would a Goony be at a Ford museum? (The DC3 which wore the legend C-47 during the Second World War and Korea and into the latter half of the Century got nicknamed that handle because the military saw that the plane's habits of take offs and sometimes landings resembled the birds which are native to Midway Island. They are exceptionally clumsy.) For a while Ford made aircraft with the help of another company. The Tri-Motor worked competitively with the DC3, but in the end, the Goony Bird won. Incidentally I believe that plane originally worked an airline that's been out of business for over fifty years......
  • Incidentally I believe that plane originally worked an airline that's been out of business for over fifty years......
    Allegheny Airlines flew the DC-3 from 1953 to 1966.

-Phil
  • Incidentally I believe that plane originally worked an airline that's been out of business for over fifty years......
    Allegheny Airlines flew the DC-3 from 1953 to 1966.

-Phil

I rest my case.
    Getting pretty heavy as it was. (Paraphrasing Groucho Marx.)
    In fact that's the one I was thinking of.

They can still be found working in backwoods areas, and sometimes short haul cargo firms.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I have had the experience of flying on DC3’s a grand total of four times, all memorable flights, particularly the first and last ones.

The first one was from Chicago’s O’Hare to Cedar Rapids. I can still picture the stained greasy looking wings flapping up and down and the engines roaring away as we rolled down the runway and took off. Also wondered if I would arrive alive at the end of the flight.

The second and third flights were on the Collins Radio executive DC3 from O”Hare to Cedar Rapids, and Cedal Rapids to Houston a couple of days later. This being my first “real” job out of uni I was so nervous I don’t recall much about the flight itself, just tried to be as invisible around all the “big wigs” (Including Mr. Collins himself) as possible.

The last one was from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, and by then I was not worried about flying on DC3’s. Unfortunately there was a severe thunderstorm in Thunder Bay when we were coming in for a landing. The plane was passing through so many up and down drafts on the way in that my scope was alternating between smashing into the bottom of the seat in front of me and then hitting the floor. The wings were flexing so much I thought for sure they would break. A few seconds before we touched down everything calmed down and we made a nice smooth landing.
  • I fueled some DC-3s. Some were running cargo etc.

Very greasy on the top of the wing. Plus with it being a tail dragger I think they had a bit of issues with the forklift but I wasn't close enough to see how that went.