Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DLP2000 evaluation board — Parallax Forums

DLP2000 evaluation board

Just happened to see the DLP2000 evaluation board on Digikey: 296-47119-ND

It's a $102 tiny projector. I think this has been around for a while.
But, would be fun to connect up to a P2 chip.
It can accept 24-bit parallel interface, just like a TFT LCD module (after some I2C setup.)
This one is fairly low resolution at 640x360.
But, this is actually good for P2 as can easily do a palleted 8bpp image without external ram.

Comments

• @Rayman
    Sounds really amazing !!
    Just also see it. :smile:
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Rayman wrote: »
    Just happened to see the DLP2000 evaluation board on Digikey: 296-47119-ND

It's a $102 tiny projector. I think this has been around for a while.
    But, would be fun to connect up to a P2 chip.
    It can accept 24-bit parallel interface, just like a TFT LCD module (after some I2C setup.)
    This one is fairly low resolution at 640x360.
    But, this is actually good for P2 as can easily do a palleted 8bpp image without external ram.

That is very nifty - I find some comments suggesting Max resolution: 854 x 480 ?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,898
    edited 2019-07-23 22:17
    there are different versions of the emitter... This one has the lowest resolution...

What is interesting is that it looks like you can take the frame rate almost down to zero...
    I think I can use that same trick of extending an 8-bit bus to 24 bits with latches that we did earlier with 24-bit LCD screen.
    Might be able to use that exact board actually with a 60-position ffc cable to some new board that mates to this thing...
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2019-07-23 22:48
    Rayman wrote: »
    I think I can use that same trick of extending an 8-bit bus to 24 bits with latches that we did earlier with 24-bit LCD screen.
    Might be able to use that exact board actually with a 60-position ffc cable to some new board that mates to this thing...

It may not need 24b ? I found a link setting this up on a Rasp-Pi, using 18b video
    There is a Pi bridge PCB out there, that should work on my P2D2Pi PCB layout ?

"The following block needs to be appended to /boot/config.txt. This can be done straight from the Raspberry Pi, or while the SD card is mounted on the PC."
    # Add support for software i2c on gpio pins
    dtoverlay=i2c-gpio,i2c_gpio_sda=23,i2c_gpio_scl=24,i2c_gpio_delay_us=2

# DPI Video Setup
    dtoverlay=dpi18
    overscan_left=0
    overscan_right=0
    overscan_top=0
    overscan_bottom=0
    framebuffer_width=854
    framebuffer_height=480
    enable_dpi_lcd=1
    display_default_lcd=1
    dpi_group=2
    dpi_mode=87

dpi_output_format=458773
    hdmi_timings=854 0 14 4 12 480 0 2 3 9 0 0 0 60 0 32000000 3

Not sure what dpi_output_format=458773 does, or maybe the dtoverlay=dpi18 is enough to use 18bpp ?
    The thing appears to also have an hdmi input.. that might be best with the new chips
  • That looks like a great, rewarding project to get going. And with the benefit of hdmi down the track too...
    After thinking about this some more, HDMI is definitely the way to go...
    I think this is the default setting for the device.
    Apparently, you can connect to a PC and use like a monitor.
    But, you have to download special timing info...
    So, that's the challenge there, finding out what timing you need to make it work.
    Fortunately, I think the P2 HDMI interface will let us use whatever timing we want...