Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any unwanted HYDRAs out there? — Parallax Forums

Any unwanted HYDRAs out there?

I recently un-mothballed my old HYDRA games platform, and (sob!) discovered that it was no longer fully functional. The HYDRA was my first Propeller 1 system, and I not only have very fond memories of it, I still have lots of hardware accessories and software written specifically for it.

The original HYDRA now seems to be unavailable anywhere, but if anyone has one in working order that they no longer want, I would be happy to buy it.

Name your price! :)

Ross.

Comments

• I have two, so I can let one go. Let me see if they are complete.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    Ross,
    I see there is one on ebay right now for <$90 buy-it-now which seems like a good price to me.

Bean
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-07-18 23:26
    Bean wrote: »
    Ross,
    I see there is one on ebay right now for <$90 buy-it-now which seems like a good price to me.

Bean

Thats' a decent price based on original price.
    http://www.ic0nstrux.com/hydra-game-development-kit#.XTD_b_JKjcs

I have not located my two, (in storage).
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2019-07-19 00:58
    I have one which is still brand new (never used), complete kit.

I would imagine yours could be repaired. There really isn't a lot to go wrong there. If it's generally not working it's probably a voltage regulator, and if it's a chip (such as the Propeller having bad pins) those are socketed.

I know exactly where my Hydra is, but it's at work not here. Let me open the box (for the first time in years) and I'll make an offer tomorrow.
  • RossH,

You may have modified your hardware and/or software.
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,336
    Thanks all, I looked on eBay but couldn't find any that will ship to Australia :(
    Genetix wrote: »
    RossH,

You may have modified your hardware and/or software.

No, I never modified the Hydra main unit, only some of the extension boards. The Hydra itself was perfect the way it was :)
    localroger wrote: »
    I would imagine yours could be repaired. There really isn't a lot to go wrong there.

Yes, if I cannot find another I will look at getting mine repaired. But in the short term its easier to just see if I can acquire a working one.
  • RossH,

Does it work without the extension boards?
  • Ross, just what's wrong with it? Have you tried the simplest thing, which would just be a new P8x32A in the main socket?
    Genetix wrote: »
    RossH,

Does it work without the extension boards?

No. Most things do work, but not everything. Sound doesn't work, and the video output (both VGA and TV) seem a bit odd (very shaky). I also had some initial issues with the clock speed, but that seems to have settled down. Possibly that one was just that the crystal needed reseating. The keyboard seems not to work reliably, but again that could just be a connection problem and may settle down.

I have not tested everything. I will try replacing the Propeller chip itself. I just realized that I have a couple of spare P1 chips.

Ross.
    Ross, just what's wrong with it? Have you tried the simplest thing, which would just be a new P8x32A in the main socket?

Yes, as I just posted, I just found a couple of spare P1 chips! :)
    Aha! Replacing the Propeller chip seems to have done the trick! My Hydra is now fully functional again! :)
  • Good News! Sounds like PLL went out?
  • If it was working before it was put away, and was not working after, its probably even simpler than a bad prop chip. Before you replaced the propeller, did you try removing it and reseating it. I bet it was corrosion on the socket.
    If it was working before it was put away, and was not working after, its probably even simpler than a bad prop chip. Before you replaced the propeller, did you try removing it and reseating it. I bet it was corrosion on the socket.

Yes, corrosion would explain it. Several of the peripheral sockets acted up initially as well (e.g. the keyboard). Probably should have put it away in a sealed case.
    Publison wrote: »
    Good News! Sounds like PLL went out?

Possibly. I'll investigate the old chip when I have more time.
  • Ah yes, the double edged nature of socketing all the chips; it makes repair easy, but adds a whole new failure mode. Glad to hear your Hydra is healthy again.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Yes, we ditched sockets in the late 80's, and that was before the cheapie sockets were plentiful. No I expect the good sockets are no longer manufactured.
  • I have a Hydra that has been in a box for a while. Is there anything I can do to make it less likely that it will suffer corrosion? Should it be put in an air tight bag with some desiccant?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    David Betz wrote: »
    I have a Hydra that has been in a box for a while. Is there anything I can do to make it less likely that it will suffer corrosion? Should it be put in an air tight bag with some desiccant?

An air tight bag with desiccant can only help. If the board is stored for a long period it's always a good idea to remove the chip(s) from the socket and reinsert them. When I did PM's on old instruments with socketed chips removing the chips, cleaning the pins with an ink eraser and reinserting them ate up a large percentage of the time, as did cleaning the tinned PCB contacts (also with the ink eraser). Also used a contact cleaner/protector that left an anti-oxidation film on the pins and board contacts before reinserting them. Tedious and time consuming, but reduced emergency calls dramatically.
  • Machined pin gold plated sockets were and are still available and they don't do this, but they are expensive.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Machined pin gold plated sockets were and are still available and they don't do this, but they are expensive.

Yes, they are. Available and expensive that is, but well worth it in some cases.