Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax 28830 software tool — Parallax Forums

Parallax 28830 software tool

Hi there,

I used a 28830 servo controller in the past, and want to use it again for some testing... but I cannot find the software anymore.
Is there a link somewhere were I can download this tool ?

28830.jpg

Many thanks

Comments

• Attached you will find a copy of the software.
  • Thank you very much !!
  • I would assume that the servo controller has been discontinued, as tho is the first time I’ve ever heard of it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-07-18 16:49
    The original came out in 2004 #28023(Non-Propeller). The Propeller version came out around 2014 #28830 and ran it's course..
  • AwesomeCronk,

Parallax has discontinued a number of still usable products over the years and some of the documentation and code files have long disappeared from the website.

If you search the forum for the part number and/or name of the product you can sometimes find useful information.

I understand why Parallax discontinued making CDs with documentation and code but a downloadable ISO that was periodically updated as products were discontinued would be very useful for those of us who still have these working products.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Genetix wrote: »
    AwesomeCronk,

Parallax has discontinued a number of still usable products over the years and some of the documentation and code files have long disappeared from the website.

If you search the forum for the part number and/or name of the product you can sometimes find useful information.

I understand why Parallax discontinued making CDs with documentation and code but a downloadable ISO that was periodically updated as products were discontinued would be very useful for those of us who still have these working products.

As someone who has supported/serviced equipment that is 30+ years old I have to agree 100% with you. Nothing more frustrating than being unable to fix something because the schematics, code, or other info is unavailable.
  • kwinn,

Even worse is that many of the very old Forums links don't work.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Genetix wrote: »
    kwinn,

Even worse is that many of the very old Forums links don't work.

True, but I can understand how that happens when upgrading or switching OS or other software packages. In spite of being as careful as possible with backing everything up regularly as well as just before making a major change I always find something got lost after the change.
  • And I agree with the two gentleman wearing very strange hats, and one has his cat on his head.
    Kwinn I admire your comments for being right.

I run software here that's older than the population of my LUG.
    ---
    And this message is being supported by the community to stamp out bravery.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    From what I can tell, all the old forum threads are still present, just with different urls.
    Sometimes a search will reveal the old thread.

It's a shame there isn't a published sticky with how the old urls (links) were changed each time to forum software was updated. That way, we could at least manually convert a broken link to get to the correct page.

However, supporting old software and hardware has a heavy cost burden, and unfortunately sometimes the hard decisions have to be made.

Parallax do seem to support old software and hardware way longer than most other companies I have dealt with. And quite often, asking Parallax will result in help to find anything missing.