Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XMM with 512K RAM — Parallax Forums

XMM with 512K RAM

This discussion was created from comments split from: Board type / Memory model.

Comments

• skywest wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm new to the Propeller 1 since I got it, really like it.
    At present I have just been compiling (simple ide) and downloading to the chip so far, but now I want to compile and load to external eeprom so that the
    program runs at power on.
    I am just using the chip on a breadboard with a 24LC256 wired as per the manual and 5 mhz xtal as I like to add my own choice of peripherals such as adc etc.
    As 'just the chip' is not an option in the simple ide board selection box, what should I best select for my set up?
    Also how do I get it to download the external eeprom as there seems to be no option to specify this either, or at any rate - I'm missing it!

Any pointers appreciated.
    I think you can choose any board type as long as you're not trying to use the XMM memory model.

• @"David Betz" ,

Since you mentioned the forbidden subject, XMM, how do I configure PropGCC to use my external 512KB SRAM?

With Catalina there's an API file you can edit. Just drop in your Assembly Code to perform the functions listed and you're good to go.

I would like to do the same with PropGCC so my code can run from XMM.

How can I do this under PropGCC?

Is there a PropGCC API file I can edit as well?
  • It depends on whether you're going to use the PropGCC that comes with SimpleIDE or the one from the main branch of the PropGCC repository.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    It depends on whether you're going to use the PropGCC that comes with SimpleIDE or the one from the main branch of the PropGCC repository.

Well I think you mentioned the one in the Repository supports running XMM C code in multiple cogs, so that's the one I would go with.

So how can we make this happen?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    It depends on whether you're going to use the PropGCC that comes with SimpleIDE or the one from the main branch of the PropGCC repository.

Well I think you mentioned the one in the Repository supports running XMM C code in multiple cogs, so that's the one I would go with.

So how can we make this happen?
    I'll look for the sample code when I get home tonight. It's in the PropGCC repository but I don't have a clone of that on the laptop I have at work.
  • @"David Betz" ,

Excellent. Looking forward to trying it out.

BTW, if you happen to have a link to the official Repository maybe I can download it and search for the particular file of interest.

That would save you the trouble of having to dig for it when you get home.
  • This is the repository: https://github.com/parallaxinc/propgcc

The XMM drivers are in loader/xmem-drivers. However, I don't see a sample one. Maybe you can look at one of the others to get an idea of how they work.
  • @"David Betz" ,

OK, thanks. I'll download the Repository and take a look.

I see several different board types listed so hopefully I'll be able to put something together.

Thanks.