Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board type / Memory model — Parallax Forums

Board type / Memory model

Hi,
I'm new to the Propeller 1 since I got it, really like it.
At present I have just been compiling (simple ide) and downloading to the chip so far, but now I want to compile and load to external eeprom so that the
program runs at power on.
I am just using the chip on a breadboard with a 24LC256 wired as per the manual and 5 mhz xtal as I like to add my own choice of peripherals such as adc etc.
As 'just the chip' is not an option in the simple ide board selection box, what should I best select for my set up?
Also how do I get it to download the external eeprom as there seems to be no option to specify this either, or at any rate - I'm missing it!

Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-07-02 15:36
    skywest wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm new to the Propeller 1 since I got it, really like it.
    At present I have just been compiling (simple ide) and downloading to the chip so far, but now I want to compile and load to external eeprom so that the
    program runs at power on.
    I am just using the chip on a breadboard with a 24LC256 wired as per the manual and 5 mhz xtal as I like to add my own choice of peripherals such as adc etc.
    As 'just the chip' is not an option in the simple ide board selection box, what should I best select for my set up?
    Also how do I get it to download the external eeprom as there seems to be no option to specify this either, or at any rate - I'm missing it!

Any pointers appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

Under "Program" you have "Load EEPROM and Run" ;or you can just use F11 to do the same. SimpleIDE assumes a standard board with the EEPROM connected. It should work with a basic circuit on a breadboard.
  • Thanks. Yes, I've tried a few which do work. Up to now, I have been using 'Generic' as it includes he 5mhz xtal and also the 32k eeprom on the i2c bus which I have connected. However, when I program with F11, It fails. Just needed to confirm that I was not doing something daffy.

Opening file 'cmm/ADS1115 Test.elf'Downloading file to port COM20
    14584 bytes sent
    Verifying RAM
    Programming EEPROM
    ERROR: Download failed: -1
    14584 bytes sent

All the eeprom connections are ok, so I think i need to order up a new eeprom just to check that I don't have a faulty chip.
  • Ok, just found another eeprom and fitted it, all working now.! Thanks.
  • skywest wrote: »
    Ok, just found another eeprom and fitted it, all working now.! Thanks.

Good deal!