Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller discussion on Hackaday - show your support for the P1 & P2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller discussion on Hackaday - show your support for the P1 & P2

Hey guys,
There is an article today about P1 on Hackaday and there is quite a bit of dumping on the Propeller.
Time to put in your 2c to support P1 & P2
https://hackaday.com/2019/06/29/parallel-processing-was-never-quite-done-like-this/

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-06-30 01:23
    I left a comment too about the virtues of the Prop after identifying as having come across from the ARM camp although I left myself a little exposed by mentioned Forth :)

However, I felt I also needed to disclaim BigBrain as a sham and I do not know why he has resubmitted this to HD after all these many years. It brings disrepute and mockery upon Parallax and it is unfortunate that I felt compelled to say so. Did it even ever blink an LED?

Perhaps I should submit a HD post based on my P2 development system?
    EDIT: I have started up an article on a Google doc that I will submit to HD during the week.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-06-30 01:36
    I'm starting up an article for Hackaday. I will talk about what i have been doing, not so much about Forth (since it is not P.C.), but about the capabilities and the results.

Are there any really good demos of the P2 that anyone has done that I could include? Perhaps to show off the mainstream language capabilities or just simple the P2 itself.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2019-06-30 06:19
    Actually I saw that one on Hack A day. I was more annoyed by the other comments. Yes there were two great ones from here, but there were plenty of idiots out there. Take the one who was annoyed by the lack of C support for the Prop 1.. It does exist someplace.

Same thing happened a while ago when Brian B, found a BASIC Stamp kit in his closet , and it garnered plenty of idiotic comments, and a lot of good ones. Edit:
    I went back to that one and confirmed it. Including interesting comments from many from the forum. Including Jon and one of his buddies in the SFX market. (That one may have worked with Jon for those SFX.)

--
    And this message is brought to all of you by the union of concerned Astromech droids.
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,344
    Annoyingly, Hackaday doesn't seem to want to publish pro-Propeller posts :(
  • I'm still waiting for my post to filter through and that was a good 12 hours ago.
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,344
    I'm still waiting for my post to filter through and that was a good 12 hours ago.

Ah! Maybe mine will come through ... sometime before the Propeller 3 hits the streets! :)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I've probably got 2. I thought I lost it so reposted an new one. But alas, I used another email :(
  • And everyone's postings did show up. The site is having a bad month. And there's probably a real reason that they do not want to talk about concerning why one from eleven years ago did show up. However given that it needed to be retold like that, there's a reason for it, someplace.

• So it wasn't BB that reposted it then which certainly is very head scratching indeed as to why HD reposted it.

Buck, are you saying you tried to contact HD regarding that post?
  • So it wasn't BB that reposted it then which certainly is very head scratching indeed as to why HD reposted it.

It was tempting but no. It was reported by Jenny who writes from the UK, and I believe it got spun up because her side of things is moving slowly this time around. The way it was presented was that of a revisit. They reported it correctly early on, when our friend first built the thing, and naturally got everyone's ire up over there. And naturally the same ones did it again. They just don't want to believe all of us.

It was tempting but no. It was reported by Jenny who writes from the UK, and I believe it got spun up because her side of things is moving slowly this time around. The way it was presented was that of a revisit. They reported it correctly early on, when our friend first built the thing, and naturally got everyone's ire up over there. And naturally the same ones did it again. They just don't want to believe all of us.

While we love our resident kooks and while we are entertained by their enthusiasm it doesn't come across the same when they setup web pages and post to other sites.
    I still have a question hanging regarding H and his BB. Did he ever get it do anything at all? Blink in parallel? I could never believe how some seemed impressed by his work, those masses of colored wires and plug-in breadboards everywhere, as in all over the place. He should have made them as Hollywood "props".

While we love our resident kooks and while we are entertained by their enthusiasm it doesn't come across the same when they setup web pages and post to other sites.
    I still have a question hanging regarding H and his BB. Did he ever get it do anything at all? Blink in parallel? I could never believe how some seemed impressed by his work, those masses of colored wires and plug-in breadboards everywhere, as in all over the place. He should have made them as Hollywood "props".
    I think some were expressing interest in the hopes that he'd say more about what he'd actually done with his contraption. As far as I know, he never did.
  • On that note David B, you have my complete agreement. I believe he built it for one reason: Because he believed that he could do that.

As for a prop..... Well I have been suggesting to people who want to use the classic RGB LED sets, such as the one introduced here as a freebie several years ago, to investigate using the Parallax Propeller as the whole thing will blink faster than running the same idea on the other platform.

You'd be surprised as to how many people in a good shop over in Manhattan people listen to me, and then ask, "What is this Propeller you are talking about?" I would then explain practically everything I know about the Prop and who developed it, and what it has grown into.