Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Catalina and Catalyst comes to the Mac and iPad — Parallax Forums

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Hm. Maybe Ross should have trademarked that.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-06-05 20:50
    As I understand it, Catalina is a generalised C environment, just like GCC. Catalyst is some form of libraries. They are open source. Ross just implement this for the P1, and is now targeting P2.

Since these have been around for so long, it’s unusual Apple have chosen these names as MacOS code names.

BTW Catalina was an airplane (seaplane?) family/manufacturer. Not sure about Catalyst, but I’m sure google could help.
  • Apple names its macOS (Mac operating system official name) versions with names of California natural areas of interest (Yosemite, Mavericks, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, etc...). It's a nod to Apple's "Designed by Apple in California" labeling on its products. Although most products are built in China, the design and software development ownership resides in California (with contributions from other states, of course).

dgately
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,336
    Bastards! I expect they will launch a lawsuit soon, claiming rights to the names! :)
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    As I understand it, Catalina is a generalised C environment, just like GCC. Catalyst is some form of libraries. They are open source. Ross just implement this for the P1, and is now targeting P2.

Since these have been around for so long, it’s unusual Apple have chosen these names as MacOS code names.

BTW Catalina was an airplane (seaplane?) family/manufacturer. Not sure about Catalyst, but I’m sure google could help.

Yes, a Catalina is an "ugly duckling" seaplane - propeller powered. That's why I chose the name. Catalyst just seemed a logical extension, as does the name BlackCat for the Catalina debugger (a Black Cat was a Catalina seaplane painted black for stealth operations during WWII).

Catalina and Catalyst are both substantially original works (originated by me!). Catalina incorporates public domain elements (such as LCC), but Catalyst is pretty much 100% original.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-06-20 05:35
    I remember those pesky Catalina’s wanting to land in amongst our sailing races back in the 60’s :(
    But the hydrofoils were much worse. Imagine one going around a boat close by and then heading straight for you only a couple of hundred meters away. Must have passed by with about 100n to spare! Needed a change of underwear after that! Those things could turn on a dime and hardly any wash thank goodness.
  • Actually RossH, the Catalina isn't ugly. You want ugly, look up the entire crowd of seabirds that Grumman built. One of them is named after a very ugly duck for real. Their Goose was a very graceful one, that's still used today for airtaxi services all overt the different islands. Pacific islands were a favorite. Incidentally that's the "Grumman G-44 Widgeon". The Goose is a well designed aircraft, the Widgeon is an afterthought.

The Catalina is based on the B-24 who was built by Consolidated.

But that drifts off topic.
    But that drifts off topic.

There's a topic? :)
  • Yes! It concerns the ideas that Apple has with their efforts to make an already easy to use system even easier.
  • And before I forget the Catalina was also known here as the PBY. Recovery and rescue, sometimes getting into the thick of things in the Pacific. There are probably as many of those great birds flying as there are those seabirds built by Grumman.

This does not explain why the other folks who responded had their mascots, a well dressed individual watching them work.

--
    And this message delivered courtesy the Union of concerned Astromech droids.