Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Some sad Maker Media news — Parallax Forums

Some sad Maker Media news

Comments

• I hope they can at least convert it into a nonprofit, so the local fairs can keep running.
  • Sad, but not unexpected at all.
  • I agree.
    In fact Hack A Day commented on this as well. They mentioned that it was the last of the Bay Area ones as well. I am waiting to see what happens to the New York area one which is still scheduled for September. Even though last year didn't have one of my more interesting, and important booths, again, it was extremely busy there. And as for the magazines, this is disturbing. I was expecting to get one more out of my subscription before deciding.

And Jeff I saw your comments on the article, as far as I am concerned, that fellow you responded to must have posted his to them in the same fashion. I wrote and asked about the one for NYC, and while I didn't get a response, the first for NYC certainly did arrive.

More important to me is Maker Shed. They are certainly still up. If anything perhaps they will make their money back from that site.
  • I often wondered about how the Maker organization was funded. The Orlando Maker Faire was a huge success, BUT they "rented" the huge Central Florida Fairgrounds for the event, in the past couple of years. I think the admission fee was $15 or $20, but anyone could get a booth for "free" just to fill the place up. Even with tons of volunteers,the event had to cost a lot. One of the things that bothered me was that the exhibits tried to make education and technology easy and cheap - Education and technology is not easy or cheap, it takes a lot of work to get an education in the technology field, along with the hardware & software & craftsmanship to get a high tech products to work and more importantly to market. In the real world I do not make stuff out of cardboard and hot glue. I saw some companies try to recruit students (anybody really) with scholarships and summer internships - the "tech wall" went up immediately, as in "SpaceX pays really well but Elon Musk works his people too hard" Come on, you are 20-something and sending rockets to the Moon and Mars! End of rant...
  • We've been part of Maker Faire Detroit since I think 2015. This is a real bummer. TechShop, Radio Shack, Anki, a lot of companies are dropping like flies.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    OMG, this is absolutely dreadful news. I had no idea they were on shaky ground. I only ever participated in one mini Maker Faire in Los Angeles, but it was fun and very well-attended. As the article says, "It works for people but it doesn’t necessarily work as a business today". I viewed Maker Faires as the last bastions of the DIY movement. Hobby People closed down near me 2 years ago, along with the Shack. The trend of people getting lazier and dumber has gained another foothold, I fear. We are just a nation of consumers. For once I wish the government would step in for a tech bailout, realizing that this is education and the money is well spent. Unfortunately I don't think anyone in power is looking further than 4 years into the future.
  • Erco, I agree. Remember when there was a Maker Faire at the White House with some bright kids showing off their stuff?
  • Seems like the high cost of doing business in CA has killed another business.... Sad.
  • A senior official, who wished to remain anonymous, commented "if only we'd had the P2"
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Jeff Haas wrote: »
    Erco, I agree. Remember when there was a Maker Faire at the White House with some bright kids showing off their stuff?

Yes, that was a proud Obama moment for sure! https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/blog/eureka-lab/inventors-give-white-house-maker-over
  • Jeff Haas wrote: »

But Jeff I was especially appreciative of this one:
    "Creating Legos for the iPad Generation: In a world where innovators are stymied by sometimes confusing engineering challenges like circuits, littleBits offers a solution. Krystal Persaud, of New York, NY, is a product designer for littleBits, a company that makes circuitry a snap, literally. To build a circuit with littlebits, all you do is snap together the magnetic, color coded modules – no programming, soldering, or wiring required. You can connect power modules to inputs (buttons, sensors, triggers, dimmers, etc.), outputs (motors, lights, sounds, etc.), or your computer, to create robots, synthesizers, household gadgets, and more. Krystal and her team wanted to make the nuts and bolts of innovating easier, so anyone could have the tools and confidence to be an inventor."

I see them at every one here, and they even had a gallery (of sorts) along the West Broadway area across from the Amazon Webservices pop up loft. I've even got a photo of the woman mentioned there, speaking to an audience, her guest was R2D2 himself. Sadly R2D2 being there managed to upstage Krystal.

In fact they keep talking about bringing out a backing plate to facilitate making their contraptions work with Lego itself. It hasn't come out yet, but I an optimist about that.

I certainly hope they throw the one up for September, I look forward to it.
    ---
    This message is being sponsored by the Friends of Dwarf Grumpy.
  • I recently contacted the Maker Faire Orlando (Florida) and received this reply from the Orlando president -

"They (Maker Media) have nothing to do with independent makerspaces like MakerFX which is operated by The Maker Effect Foundation, a 501c3 public charity.
    "Our only link to them is that we license the name Maker Faire for the production of Maker Faire Orlando, a nonprofit event, which is locally funded and produced. "We are told that they are continuing the licensing program and therefore we do not anticipate having to change the name of the event at this time."

See you all this Fall in Orlando! - It would be great if we could get a few Parallax Propeller users to set up a booth...
  • I'm guardedly optimistic that Dale will find a way to continue, likely as a non-profit.
  • Jeff Haas wrote: »
    I'm guardedly optimistic that Dale will find a way to continue, likely as a non-profit.

Works for me. Now why was a charcoal colored domestic watching you write that?

----
    As always this message is sponsored by the Friends of Simba Lion.
  • They're maybe opening again and continuing to make... magazines.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/10/maker-faire-now-make-community/

Wish them the best of luck. We're at Maker Faire Detroit in a couple weeks here. Probably anyway. The one that was going to plan and run the booth is moving. Threw a stick in the spokes there.