Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a Linux Spin Editor - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Looking for a Linux Spin Editor

2»

Comments

• evanh wrote: »
    Why is that a Debian complaint? Grub is a Gnu project that everyone, in the Linux world at least, uses, I thought. If it is so bad and Debian was the incompetent distro then surely they'd be the exception.

I've had a look at Grub2's instructions previously and never made anything of it. Features or not, it's a decent climb just to understanding it.

And you just tagged the problem with strong blaster fire. It is the instructions. The ones for legacy grub were so easy to follow people who were new to Linux could use it.

Now? They expect people to be expert rated and above.
  • Now? They expect people to be expert rated and above.
    This is sadly way too common in the open source world.
    I recently dealt with trying to set up C++ cross-compilation from Linux to Windows. If the compiler you can install from the package repo is bad (which it is...) you're basically out of luck unless you have a brain bigger than a breadbox.

Speaking of Spin editors, what about running Propeller Tool under Wine? Sure, the compiler is slow and doesn't support fancy features, but the actual editor is very well optimized for Spin programming, uploading without an auto-reset circuit is possible and the character chart is there, too.

• I’m going to cast out and look around for a newer version of Linux.
    Several times, I have seen Wine mentioned here. What is it?
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2019-05-26 17:56
    Why at all a language specific editor?
    Learn a capable editor that may get a Spin highlighter someday and you have learned a tool that will help you in other contexts too. Kate, Geany, Emacs, ... and probably more can be extended to do this job. Or find a customiseable IDE like Code:Blocks? There sure are others too.

Having a single topic editor or IDE for each chip to program would drive me nuts. But ok... maybe I'm really a different breed or age or whatever...
  • Well, sitting on my desktop on my Windows 10 machine is the Propeller Tool, BASIC Stamp Editor, Javelin Stamp IDE, and Visual Studio 2017. That's all my IDEs, plus Notepad.
  • Besides which, I don't think Geany can program over USB.
  • Besides which, I don't think Geany can program over USB.
    Probably launching an external propeller-loader via some macro bound to a function key will be doable in every better editor these days.
  • Several times, I have seen Wine mentioned here. What is it?
    Wine is a program that allows using most Windows programs (read: any program that doesn't rely on obscure APIs, kernel-mode code, explorer.exe or stupid DRM schemes) on Linux.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Short description - Windoze compatible ABI.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-05-27 03:37
    While I do use Wine when I have to and also run WinXP in VirtualBox when I have to, there is mostly no reason to do so for both P1 and P2 development I find. Instead I use BST for the P1 but even SimpleIDE works if I wanted to use it, and p2asm and loadp2 for the P2.

Here's a screenshot of the editor/terminal desktop which is one of nine that I use and most of them are used (1=web, 2=datasheets, 3=dev, 4=Vbox WinXP+Protel99SE, 5=CAD, 6=photos etc). I find my Linux MInt setup very productive.
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
  • It is indeed. Back when I had the other laptop here, I had it running Slackware64-14.1 and Slackware64-14.2 Linux, running there, and had gotten WINE to run on that arrangement.

In fact I'd also gotten it to work on even earlier releases of Slackware Linux, before the 64 bit movement happened. Besides AC I happen to know that the mascot in the room when you typed that was asleep which almost counts.
  • Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    Now? They expect people to be expert rated and above.
    This is sadly way too common in the open source world.
    I recently dealt with trying to set up C++ cross-compilation from Linux to Windows. If the compiler you can install from the package repo is bad (which it is...) you're basically out of luck unless you have a brain bigger than a breadbox.

Speaking of Spin editors, what about running Propeller Tool under Wine? Sure, the compiler is slow and doesn't support fancy features, but the actual editor is very well optimized for Spin programming, uploading without an auto-reset circuit is possible and the character chart is there, too.

And you are right. Although I have seen some amazing programs written by accomplished writers, problem being is that they were written for that annoying kludge in the rooms further away and they call them sketches.

What distribution did you have in mind? There are scads of them, and all but one have a steep learning curve. And I use that one that does not have that steep learning curve.
    Spit it out!
  • Steep learning curve????? And only one that doesn't????? ROFL
    Linux doesn't need this kind of "promotion". In spite of all that, it just works.

What distribution did you have in mind? There are scads of them, and all but one have a steep learning curve. And I use that one that does not have that steep learning curve.

I don’t know which one. I’ve got to be able to install it to a flash drive and boot it on a laptop which previously ran Windows 7.
  • I have an i3 laptop where the hdd died and it previously ran win7. Now i have a 128g Ultra fit USB flash stick with Linux Mint 19 64bit loaded. It works perfectly for my entertainment pc watching downloaded movies or Netflix etc on our 4k tv.
  • Tsk!! Tsk!!!
    I already mentioned it.
    Slackware. The 14,2 one is the current one out, (currently that is the most recently numbered release. They make available what they current which does not have a number. It might become 14.3 or even 15.0) and it does not use the dreaded SystemD for running its functions. When installing it, the user does not need to follow a strange series of steps which is what I encountered using Red Hat, back when it used its own name for distributions. And sadly Debian does, as on the Raspberry Pi. However installing the product for the Pi, the user simply dumps an image to bare SD card.

My only complaint was that of making Simple IDE work on it, it needed older tools than the installed series.

Now I currently run Slackware-11.0 on a Dell Dimension T600 who predates all of your systems probably. It's also the same system where I ran the Windows tools for the BASIC Stamp on.

Besides there are rumors that Linux Mint will be shutting down because there are inconsistencies in their methods. And that their whole user base was contaminated, or at least that was the latest scuttlebutt. (And in a big water tank in the corner of the first deck climbing down.)
    ----
    And this message is being supported by the Rebel Alliance.
  • Hmmm, you sure it wasn't "Old Hat" that you were trying to install "back when"? I do remember somewhere back in the 20th century something about these strange steps, but get with it, we are almost into the third decade of the 21st century.

When I install Linux Mint it is a very fast process and the only thing I ever do beforehand is setup my own partitions and then tell the installer who I am and then specify the root and home partition. Simple as that, or just let it live boot in no time flat.

What rumors? Sounds more like aspersions being cast for some strange reason since I have never heard such rumors before and neither has Mr Google when I asked him.
  • So, can I boot Slackware out of a 32gb USB?
    edited 2019-05-27 15:31
    Yes, most small distro's will fit on less than 500 MB USB drive. EDIT: Err, well, except that Slackware is not a small distro by default. The full ISO is sized to fit a DVD at 4.6 GB. There is a smaller 700 MB CD sized edition as well.
  • So, how much extra space does Slackware use after the initial install(full ISO)?
    Dunno, you can probably expect that to double. And any further packages you may want from online will increase it further. Most of that is extra packages you probably won't ever use though.
  • Ask Google-san about a Slackware Live CD solution. There's a fellow based in Scandinavia who claims to have managed to stuff an entire typical one into a an image that will fit on a 4G thumb drive. I typically used an 8G thumb drive or when I could find one a 16G thumb drive.

And then I worked out on the other laptop how to install the actual distribution on a new disk drive and found it worked. As I said, the only problem was with getting the code for Simple IDE to build properly. I never did find a Spin Editor for Linux that would work there.

As I said Peter they were just scuttlebutt, not aspersions. I strongly hope so, but given the fact that a distribution has indeed shutdown finally, given that information, there was just that. It happened when their forums were hacked.

And of course one of the fellows in my Hack Night group for my LUG had problems that defied description with his setup, of course it might have been done wrong.....

This was Red Hat 7.2 as it happens that I had problems with. I also had problems with Red Hat 5.0 and 5.1 as well. Let's not go there regarding straight Debian. Debian on the Raspberry Pi seems to be behaving itself.

I've been playing the idea of how to work out a Slackware on WSL bundle for a while now since getting this laptop back in February but the steps to do so are not really there.

As for the install steps AC, simply follow their guidelines on installing the stuff the system definitely does need, besides X and a desktop, and the Devel directory, and network. You can then break it down further by selecting individual packages from the ones you do need, but they will insist that the whole X collection is needed.

You're where? Same basic area where Parallax is? Pity, I'd want you to visit the LUG meetings here, find one where you live then.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-05-28 01:23
    I find that we are the most helpful on the forum when we stick to what we know and what works, rather than passing on half rumors about something else. Each "recommendation" will stand or fall on their own merits.

So I have tried just about every distro there is and I test out new ones all the time. Some look really promising but the one that just works through all these years especially for all my software that I use for dev is Linux Mint. I even keep a live boot version on a USB stick on my key ring even though it only needs about 2GB. The 128GB Ultra Fit that I use for my entertainment PC is mainly for local storage since the installed system itself only needs 15GB minimum (with a lot of stuff ready to use) and 1GB RAM.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Has anyone tried Visual Studio Code?
    There is a spin/pasm & p2pasm extension for highlighting that I posted on the P2 forum.
  • So, Peter, where did you get the ISO file for Mint? And how did you install it to the flash drive?
  • A quick google will tell you lots but if in doubt simply head over to distrowatch where you can access iso's of any Linux. Don't take too much notice of the "page hit ranking" since it is not meant to be an accurate representation of best or popularity, simply a hit counter for those who visit this page rather than go direct.

Anyhows, download and burn a DVD if you have to initially and boot up with that where you can use "USB Image Writer" to burn the iso file to a USB stick. If you can't burn a DVD then you can use Windows and I think there is a tutorial <here>.

But once you are running Linux it is far easier to do all this next time. I use Linux Mint 19.1 64-bit with the Cinnamon desktop as it seems to be most productive for me.

• Thank you! I will read through these sites sometime when I am not busy.