Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a Linux Spin Editor — Parallax Forums

Looking for a Linux Spin Editor

I recently revived an old laptop with a failed hard drive by installing Puppy Linux to a flash drive and booting from it. I was curious to know where I might find a Spin/PASM IDE that would run in Linux.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,804
    I'm curiuos to know if SpinEdit works under Linux using Wine.
    Probably now, but you never know..

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/169259/spinedit-editor-for-spin-spin2-and-fastbasic/p1
  • Someone wants to dedust $THIS?
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2019-05-20 03:41
    I see Puppy supports Ubuntu repositories. I presume PPAs will work too. They certainly take the effort out of keeping favourite tools and drivers up-to-date.

I've happily being using Kate for my pasm2 work.

Not that I've bothered in a long while but I remember Parallax even produced a Spin highlighter module for Kate back when they made the push to support C. I haven't really done any Prop1 coding so I've forgotten where all that stuff was.
  • SimpleIDE supports C,C++ and Spin with highlighted syntax.
  • Spin/PASM IDE? Go with a not too new Linux distribution on real or VM, and use BST. I still use it, still think it is the best, wish I could get hands on the source to update.
  • Spin/PASM IDE? Go with a not too new Linux distribution on real or VM, and use BST. I still use it, still think it is the best, wish I could get hands on the source to update.

Not too new? Got that in the bag! My version of Puppy was release in 2009! (4.3.1)

Where can I find the simple IDE download?

Where can I find the simple IDE download?

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-p8x32a-software
  • Many thanks!
    edited 2019-05-20 13:16
    Huh, that's v0.33.3 of PropellerIDE, I've discovered I've got a newer version stashed in my archives - namely propelleride-0.38.5-amd64.deb.
  • evanh wrote: »
    Huh, that's v0.33.3 of PropellerIDE, I've discovered I've got a newer version stashed in my archives - namely propelleride-0.38.5-amd64.deb.
    Maybe from https://github.com/parallaxinc/PropellerIDE/releases

PropellerIDE != SimpleIDE
    That'll be it, thanks.
  • Addendum: with SimpleIDE you can compose spin / asm as well as c / asm.
    1024 x 600 - 121K
    1024 x 600 - 109K
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2019-05-21 00:19
    Plus side of having a removable USB “hard drive”(32g Sandisk Cruzer Dial), I can find the instal files through windows and download them to a directory under root, which serves as a bypass to mom not letting me connect an outdated OS to our internet.

EDIT:
    I haven't actually opened my "hard drive" in Windows before. It's all files, of several types! I can't read any of the folder systems!
  • I've never really used SimpleIDE but I have played with it on Linux Mint which is Ubuntu based. But I do use a version of BST (0.19.4-pre10) with the 32-bit compatibility libraries.

• So, after my "hard drive" discovery, I have decided to put the Propeller IDE 0.33.3 install file(.deb) on a flash drive and try to install it into Puppy through there. Would the install still work, even though Puppy uses .pet packages for installs? Could I use the same commands to do so if it does work?
  • I use a Linux laptop connected to my TV as the "smart" part rather than be at the mercy of many so-called "smart" TVs. The hardrive failed on it a while ago and so I just installed a 64K Ultra Fit so it doesn't protrude and run everything from there with some local storage and of course I have lots of TB+ USB hardrives.

However, while you can attempt to use an old version of Puppy Linux it is totally up to you to work it all out. Don't expect any help since it is unlikely anyone would have done exactly what you are attempting. A more mainstream and newer Linux would be easier such as the one I use.

Life may be about asking questions, but discovering the answers yourself is living life. Don't miss out on living.
    Peter,
    That's a long winded way to say "give it a try."

Awesome,
    I think .deb's will work the same for Puppy as for Debian/Ubuntu/Mint. In fact, from what little I've read, I'm guessing even a Ubuntu PPA will work. Deb's require manual installing of dependencies - which can be quick and easy for small programs, eg: none at all. PPA's will automatically do that for you provided the dependencies exist in a prior added repository/PPA.
  • Think it was mint 17 and later that BST gave problems. I can't recall any issues with BST prior to 2015 or so on mint, FC, or SUSE at that time. You can still find it at www.fnarfbargle.com. If you go to new on the distribution you may run afoul of the QT libraries it requires. Wish the author was still around or willing to open source bst.........
  • This works for me...
    2096 x 1064 - 549K
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Visual Studio Code should work for editing. There is a thread in P2 giving the file for highlighting spin.
    I've just had reason to try Puppy myself. However, the download hosts are severely bandwidth capped. Just a few hundred megs takes 30-60 minutes to download.

I've placed the latest 32bit and 64bit iso's on bittorrent if wanting to grab them a tad faster. Release 8.0 is latest, based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Named bionicpup32-8.0-uefi.iso and bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso respectively.

edited 2019-05-25 14:15
    PS: SHA256 hashes have been verified.
    35b151d3fac25cdae3bfaf98531fb9f67edb21bbbd8b878ab8c06996e99f28e0 bionicpup32-8.0-uefi.iso
    814cfc9e0bc70decc8d8816a2518154e81f336169c410331873f00600e01304f bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso
    Ah, it looks like the 32bit edition is end-of-life in terms of features, everything is older versions. Presuambly still getting security updates though.
    Huh. even the 64 bit edition is using legacy grub. There must be a reason I guess.
  • That's because what we both call legacy grub works. There is a very long list of things that do not work, versus things that do, for grub2. And they are no closer to a final release now, then when the project got started.

However everything Debian based thinks it is supposedly ready for work.
    Why is that a Debian complaint? Grub is a Gnu project that everyone, in the Linux world at least, uses, I thought. If it is so bad and Debian was the incompetent distro then surely they'd be the exception.

I've had a look at Grub2's instructions previously and never made anything of it. Features or not, it's a decent climb just to understanding it.
  • So back to the original question rather than a debate about Linux internals (I just use it). Yes, you can use BST directly in 32-bit or 64-bit Linux although you may need to load any compatibility libs which you can discover easily enough if you launch BST from a terminal to find out what vitals it is missing.
    peter:~$ ./Desktop/bst
    Gtk-Message: 12:44:22.649: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"

(bst:25036): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:44:22.819: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
    [WARNING] Out of OEM specific VK codes, changing to unassigned
    [WARNING] Out of unassigned VK codes, assigning $FF

These warnings of course don't affect normal operation. Use the ldd command instead to list all the dependencies.
    Peter,
    I was looking for something up-to-date but still low resource demands. In this case, very low resource, not even SparkyLinux with LXQT is usable, possibly due to only 450 MB of RAM available but maybe it's a QT bloated problem.

The difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Puppy is quite stark. The whole desktop is different, with different programs, not just newer versions. Both handle the small RAM condition well.
  • This thread really demonstrates the value of a virtual machine systems. I can load up a few VMS to handle whatever I need. Run BST? No sweat, load up an image snapshot of a fully configured system that worked and you are good to go.Old wrap project needing update? Was originally run under cp/m? Not a problem if you have a version of CP/M, wiremaster and your old net files. One of the things I learned in my brief sojourn into software that had to be maintained for many years or more was including o/s, tools as well as code base so that if a fix or add needed to be done, the original environment could be as closely replicated as possible. Running BST is no problem at all. My main machine currently will run CP/M, DOS, Win3x, XP. All in their own VM. As to which Linux or Linux v windows, for that we have (I think, heater).
    I presume Awesome wanted it located elsewhere.

Certainly that's the case for me; where I've got an old laptop, early 64-bit processor. A friend wants to turn into a DVR for PoE CCTV. Yet it's new enough to be supportable for at least another decade. I've pulled the 80 GB HDD and slotted a, now disused, 250 GB SSD. I might try to find a freebie DDR2 SODIMM too.