Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How wide is the pin spacing... — Parallax Forums

How wide is the pin spacing...

on the Propeller Mini....7/10's...aka.....(.7) of an inch or is it 8/10's...aka...(.8) of an inch. I do use ExpressPCB, and the widest they go is .6 of an inch for the 24 pin Basic stamp...thanks denO

Comments

• denno wrote: »
    on the Propeller Mini....7/10's...aka.....(.7) of an inch or is it 8/10's...aka...(.8) of an inch. I do use ExpressPCB, and the widest they go is .6 of an inch for the 24 pin Basic stamp...thanks denO

It's in the product description:
    https://www.parallax.com/product/32150
    You can solder the included header onto the Propeller Mini, creating a 700-mil DIP package perfect for a breadboard or protoboard.
  • Yes, Publison..you are right...I was mis reading my 10th of an inch ruler...next time I will wear my glasses...however, there seems to be no socket for a PCB, even from Digikey which is .7 inch row spacing, with 2X24 and .1 Pitch...interesting. They have a listing for .75 inch row spacing, but have non in stock...and yes, I can cut a female header and make it work, or cut a 2X24 in half, and move it apart to .7 inch for the PCB. I really do not want to solder the Prop Mini to the PCB...

Thanks to all..dennO
  • I use female SIP sockets, cut to length, for custom boards using the Prop Mini. I etched this PCB at home for a cosplay project. I did a similar board last year for the TV show, "Black Lightning."

db700951ddbf2a4128b611ea4f4a1ba2.jpg
  • Thanks for the nice photo of your work...In my case, I ended cutting a 24 pin socket for the Basic stamp in half, with the Dremal tool for the .7 spacing. Using the supplied header male pins, supplied with the Prop Mini, I can also plug and unplug the Mini. Then, I made a "custom component" for the ExpressPCB software...

I even cut a 8 pin DIP socket in half, and again using the headers supplied, put that into the PCB, as I needed a couple of the I/O pins (aka P30 and P31) for outputs) after programming.

DenO

• Be a little careful; standard DIP sockets are not designed to accommodate the large pins used by the Prop Mini.