Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
fastspin spin2gui — Parallax Forums

fastspin spin2gui

This morning I was trying some different things with fastspin. One thing I was trying to do is setup Geany to basically load the EEPROM with a newly compiled .bas program. While doing different things I came across some differences in fastspin.

I created a small program, using spin2gui, which compiled without errors, and ran as expected using the 'Compile & Run' command.

Just for curiosity I tried to do a fastspin compile using the command line for the exact same code that I just used with spin2gui. That effort came up with an error, "error: syntax error, unexpected input, expecting loop". Checking further I noticed when you compile using spin2gui:
Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'FastSpin' (c) 2011-2019 Total Spectrum Software Inc.
Version 3.9.25 Compiled on: Apr 14 2019
when you use the fastspin command line complie:
Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'FastSpin' (c) 2011-2018 Total Spectrum Software Inc.
Version 3.9.7 Compiled on: Oct 21 2018
It looks like spin2gui is using an earlier version of fastspin. It also looks like fastspin command line version has a later version number, but an earlier compiled date. Hmm, what to make of this?

Ray

Comments

• As far as the versioning is concerned 25 > 7. The 3.9.7 binary is floating around your system somewhere and is your problem - it's either in the directory you're running the cammand line in or it's somewhere in your path. I would use a utility like "Anywhere" to search your file systems, delete any older versions than use one location to keep your fastspin install and add that to your path. Now you'll always have the latest and greatest as you install newer versions over the old one.

Mike R.
  • OK, so it looks like fastspin version 3.9.25, is the latest version. Not sure why version 3.9.7 is in the main folder of the spin2gui.zip. It was getting a little confusing, just using the version number to identify, like which is the latest.

So, when you unzip the spin2gui.zip, the fastspin.exe that is in the folder, is an older version. Not sure why it is there, maybe add a folder called 'old' , and move that there?

Ray
  • I think one of the later versions of the zip file places the binaries in the directory the package is extracted to. They used to be in a "bin" directory, i.e., C:\dev\fastspin\bin. I'd recommend deleting the old binaries, that way there's no chance of them getting used somehow and confusing things say 6 month from now. If you need older versions I'm fairly certain that the github repository has them all.

Mike R.
  • on Windows, if you want to find out where a command is "coming from", run "where fastspin" on the command line. (the Unix equivalent would be "which")
  • Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    on Windows, if you want to find out where a command is "coming from", run "where fastspin" on the command line. (the Unix equivalent would be "which")
    Excellent advice. I had never realized "where" could search the entire storage system. Thank you!

Mike R.

• pmrobert wrote: »
    I'd recommend deleting the old binaries, that way there's no chance of them getting used somehow and confusing things say 6 month from now.
    Or rename them to include the version number. Sometimes a newer version has some new glitches. This does happen.