Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Potential Prop companion — Parallax Forums

Comments

• Mickster,
    I looked at that link. The STM32 board and TPT screen are impressive and cheap.
    Do you have any ideas on how this module will be connected and driven by the Prop?

• There has been renewed interest in the original Companion

I really like this approach for my industrial control systems...leave the Prop to handle what it does best (a real-time peripheral) and have something running the interpreted MM-BASIC driving the Prop and handling all the non-time-critical I/O.
  • Mickster wrote: »
    There has been renewed interest in the original Companion

I really like this approach for my industrial control systems...leave the Prop to handle what it does best (a real-time peripheral) and have something running the interpreted MM-BASIC driving the Prop and handling all the non-time-critical I/O.

Hello!
    Oddly enough Mickster when I looked at the item, I immediately thought of the bundle of screens that Microcenter sells for the (gasp!) Ardunio and of course for the Raspberry Pi. And also from Tinkersphere as well. That's where I buy the majority of my regular components incidentally. And sometimes from Microcenter.

The rest is from Limor, (that's the real name of the remarkable lady behind Adafruit) and then from Jameco.

For my money there are trillions of issues to be resolved to make the thing work. including writing a driver.

But how did one or both of you write all of that being studied by a sleepy cat of an as yet unknown breed?
    ----
    And this is being sponsored by the fans of the Cowardly Lion.
  • Oops, I don't know if I gave the impression that I had something to do with creating those products but no, I'm merely an integrator.

I typically have a ruggedised Android tablet for the HMI, connected via Bluetooth to a PIC-based MM-BASIC controller. The MM-BASIC controller cannot handle closed-loop servo control so this is handled by dedicated, distributed processors which are commanded by the MM-BASIC controller via full-duplex 422/485.
    For me, this new ARM-based controller is a cleaner solution.

Having an interactive interpreter running the show, greatly simplifies the debugging of the machine's sequence.
  • Mickster wrote: »
    Oops, I don't know if I gave the impression that I had something to do with creating those products but no, I'm merely an integrator.

I typically have a ruggedised Android tablet for the HMI, connected via Bluetooth to a PIC-based MM-BASIC controller. The MM-BASIC controller cannot handle closed-loop servo control so this is handled by dedicated, distributed processors which are commanded by the MM-BASIC controller via full-duplex 422/485.
    For me, this new ARM-based controller is a cleaner solution.

Having an interactive interpreter running the show, greatly simplifies the debugging of the machine's sequence.

And yes it does. But why is your tablet being pawed at by that cat who's an as yet unknown breed.
    --
    And this has two sponsors. There are the Friends of the Cowardly Lion. And there are the Tiger football fans. (Soccer fans.)
  • Oooooooo...K. Walgreens called, BTW.

:lol: