Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Differences between the WX boards and the regular ones — Parallax Forums

Differences between the WX boards and the regular ones

Hello!
I finally decided to join the Blockly movement after reading Publison's amazing job of resolving one person's problems regarding a Prop board and Blockly. It figures I do have that one, also a batch of Quick Start boards here. But, ah, the PAB board I have is the original.

I note on the site that the WX Badge looks far more complex and dedicated than the regular conference style board I was sent a while ago.

But on the whole, and on a visible examination on the site of the PAB WX board, also found in the same place as the WX Badge, and comparing it to the one I have, I see no visible changes. The one I have is the original who has #32910 Rev A on its back. So what differences are there? And will it matter?

The Prop Proto board I have is the same as the fellow on the site now.

Oh and I'm working on an a big idea for something else regarding the Prop running Blockly. And it would need to be good, because the few examples, read programs, submitted by our friends here, looked elegant, and the code underneath that would work inside the Simple IDE one, looked good, even amazing.
And this message is sponsored by the Tigers United Football club.

Comments

• If you are able to connect to the PAB (#32910 Rev A) with USB cable, then you will be good with the Blocky setting for PAB-WX.

The main difference in the newer board is the auto-switching between programming by Wireless vs Wired. That doesn't really impact most code you might want to experiment with, other than the WX stuff :)
    Another difference from memory... there's a 3k9 pullup on a couple of the servo header IO's which may not have been on the original you have. I think you can still get the schematic for both boards at the Parallax product page, but shout if you can't and one of us can find that for you.

In general the Blockly "Board choice" is not really strict. I mean, you could choose any board type for any board. The choice just makes it easier for users, in that Blockly blocks which are appropriate for your board type are shown, and maybe some pin assignments are pre-set for you.

That said- in most blocks you can edit the pin assignments in the init block, for any custom or alternative board you have. Usually best to pick the board type that's closest to what you have (in terms of features), and tweak the blocks as you need to.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    If you are able to connect to the PAB (#32910 Rev A) with USB cable, then you will be good with the Blocky setting for PAB-WX.

The main difference in the newer board is the auto-switching between programming by Wireless vs Wired. That doesn't really impact most code you might want to experiment with, other than the WX stuff :)
    Another difference from memory... there's a 3k9 pullup on a couple of the servo header IO's which may not have been on the original you have. I think you can still get the schematic for both boards at the Parallax product page, but shout if you can't and one of us can find that for you.

In general the Blockly "Board choice" is not really strict. I mean, you could choose any board type for any board. The choice just makes it easier for users, in that Blockly blocks which are appropriate for your board type are shown, and maybe some pin assignments are pre-set for you.

That said- in most blocks you can edit the pin assignments in the init block, for any custom or alternative board you have. Usually best to pick the board type that's closest to what you have (in terms of features), and tweak the blocks as you need to.

Hello!
    That's what I figured, @VonSzarvas , I did figure that the term WX meant all of Wired or Wireless, for both the badge and the PAB. But since on the original PAB I have here are headers for the Zigbee stuff, I did hope I was good to go otherwise.

The big problem now is to decide what to do. And of course to install the client.
    And this message is sponsored by the Tigers United Football club.