Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Aaaargh! Moment... — Parallax Forums

Aaaargh! Moment...

pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
edited 2019-03-26 19:55 in General Discussion
That feeling you experience when you're freeing a 64G Samsung uSD card from it's retail packaging and the card snaps in half. Right after you drove 80 miles round trip to get the only one in stock in South Florida. :-) I'll be sure to have a razor knife closer next time!

Comments

• pmrobert wrote: »
    Right after you drove 80 miles round trip to get the only one in stock in South Florida.

:open_mouth: ouch!!! That really stinks! At least they're (relatively) cheap :/ Silver lining?
  • Those things are a bugger to get out of the theft proof packaging nowadays!
  • David, yes you're correct. It was more the $50 in gas and 3 hours of time that was wasted rather than the price of the card. I finally have had the time to enhance a project I've been working on. You can always make more money, making time is a bit difficult! It's all good, I put the time to good use finishing installation of drip irrigation plumbing around the pool screen enclosure. Mrs. Mike is very happy!

-Mike R...

PS: Publison: Yes they are and I knew better - that's the worst part. :-)
  • pmrobert wrote:
    Right after you drove 80 miles round trip to get the only one in stock in South Florida.
    At least, since it was the last one, you don't have to drive another 80 miles to get a replacement! (Oookay, probably not any consolation, tho'.) Seriously, I feel your pain. Been there, done that -- or something similar.

-Phil
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-03-26 22:38
    The pain, the pain.... I have snapped plenty in half, but never when removing from the packaging. All I do with a new one is cut right along the bottom right on the edge of the window with scissors and then simply pull out the internal clear packaging and peel. Sometimes I cut along another edge, but a pair of scissors always does the trick.

I picked up a 128GB Sandisk Ultra microSD + adapter for $40 (and that's less than $30 US) just up the road from Aldi but usually I just buy them fairly cheap from the local OfficeWorks.
  • I can buy those on Amazon for $15 and not drive anywhere. 64gb evo smasung
  • First task, First job out of high school.. Change the beacon bulb on an 800' tower. I really wanted the chance!
    400' up, it started to really suck..

Then, at the top is a terrible terrible time to get a case of butterfingers....

The laughter from the old timer at the base made it to my ears before the bulb hit the ground!
  • R Baggett wrote: »
    First task, First job out of high school.. Change the beacon bulb on an 800' tower. I really wanted the chance!
    400' up, it started to really suck..

Then, at the top is a terrible terrible time to get a case of butterfingers....

The laughter from the old timer at the base made it to my ears before the bulb hit the ground!

My apologies for this old timer laughing at that story! That is excellent!
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    I can buy those on Amazon for $15 and not drive anywhere. 64gb evo smasung

UPS just delivered mine! My long drive was a case of impulse buying - I've learned over the years that impulsive acts can go bad quickly. That's what I got for ignoring the little voice in my head telling me to "just have it delivered, you have plenty of other thiings to do". Oh well, live and learn.
  • I hope the old timer at the base was wearing a hardhat.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    pmrobert wrote: »
    You can always make more money, making time is a bit difficult!

Best quote in forever. I'm stealing that. :)

• I know the feeling, loved to climb towers in my past. Hated when had to lean back some to squeeze big body between antennas. Then look up at fleecy clouds moving overhead and suddenly it feels like tower is rotating at angle. Was froze there for a few minutes. Kinda happy climbing days are over!