Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 2x2mm addressable WS2812 leds, WS2812-2020 — Parallax Forums

New 2x2mm addressable WS2812 leds, WS2812-2020

These new Worldsemi leds are bit more hobby friendly compared with the 3535, 2427, other 2020 types that have intricate pads underneath. These ones have castellations, so they're a whole lot easier to hand solder - not that different to soldering SOIC ics

So far I've found they like a buffer to drive with a solid 5v signal, and also the red/green bytes seem swapped. Further investigation required.

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-06-13 23:30
    Looks good, I wanted to put a WS2812 onto my P2D2 board but they were too bulky. Maybe I could use one of these "babies".

Their pdf link is empty
  • There's a new version of these available, WS2812C-2020. They are still very easy to solder, but 3v3 driving friendly. They no longer need the decoupling cap apparently, similar to the dycoleds, though I'm still going to leave cap pads in the design just in case.

All that makes them a great match for compact 3v3 Prop projects.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Tubular wrote: »
    There's a new version of these available, WS2812C-2020. They are still very easy to solder, but 3v3 driving friendly. They no longer need the decoupling cap apparently, similar to the dycoleds, though I'm still going to leave cap pads in the design just in case.

All that makes them a great match for compact 3v3 Prop projects.

hmm, seems that labeling is vague, this link (Nov 2018) mention an upgrade IC
    http://www.world-semi.com/DownLoadFile/141
    "we do not enable a new part number,
    only add a suffix version number to distinguish. "

- and the data sheet WS2812C-2020 Sept 2018 is not yet updated to show what that suffix version number might be.

Looks to have a 3v3 Logic threshold improvement (Vih < 2.8V), and better driver current, but still suggests > 3.5V for LED power. just due to LED voltage drops
  • The 'C' in WS2812C is the suffix they refer to

They're still a 5v device, they just work better than ws2812b when running from 3v3. Plus the logic threshold you mention means you don't need to run your P1's at 3v6