Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Activitybot being driven by voice commands — Parallax Forums

Activitybot being driven by voice commands

Hey, everyone!

I have a project that I'm having a little trouble finding research on, so I'm posting this discussion for it.

The project that I'm trying to find information for is driving an ActivityBot with voice commands (Not like NikosG's project). I did, however, check out NikosG's voice controlled robot, but didn't find much for what I was looking for. Basically, I want to wire up a microphone on the breadboard of the Activity Board so that I can control it with my voice. Is there a way to do that?

I appreciate any help I can get, so if you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to try them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2019-02-16 18:57
    As a start, you could take a look at this thread:

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/115725/p1

-Phil
  • As a start, you could take a look at this thread:

-Phil

Thanks, but I don't have any experience with Spin. I'm running SimpleIDE on Linux Mint, so I'm not so sure how to set up the Spin compiler. Is there anything in Propeller C?
  • sonic0021 wrote: »
    As a start, you could take a look at this thread:

-Phil

Thanks, but I don't have any experience with Spin. I'm running SimpleIDE on Linux Mint, so I'm not so sure how to set up the Spin compiler. Is there anything in Propeller C?

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out.
  • Now I'm having trouble with the Spin compiler. It's giving me an error saying "Blank Simple Project not found." Is there any way I can fix that?
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Why not beginning at the beginning? Befor I start the computer to understand me, I start to understand the computer. Weighting capabilities, this seems the right approach to me ;-)
  • Easiest way to take care of that error is to create a new project in some empty directory. You'll have a project file (*.side) and a source file (*.spin or *.c or *.cpp). Copy your existing program over the source file (or cut and paste your existing program over the existing source).
  • Mike Green wrote: »
    Easiest way to take care of that error is to create a new project in some empty directory.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that. I checked my project directory and it seems that "Blank Simple Project.spin is not there. Do I create the project like I would create a .c or a .cpp file, or is it something different?
  • Here's an example blank Spin project. UnZip the attached file, place the new unzipped directory in your "My Projects" directory, then open its BlankSpinExample.side file from SimpleIDE's Open menu (inside the Project menu)... Modify the project as you need to then do as "Save As" and change its name to whatever you want. Keep the example around for future projects.

SimpleIDE version 1.1.0 removed the ability to start a new Spin project by creating a new file from within the app. So, to get around that you need a previously created .spin file or .side project file to get started. This was meant to simplify life for instructors and create a base for "C" language development. But, the underpinnings of spin development should still be there (unless that version of SimpleIDE removed the openspin compiler). I always keep my development tools (compilers, loaders, etc.) in a known location for all my IDEs (/opt/parallax/bin, /opt/parallax/lib, /opt/parallax/propeller-elf, etc...). Then, I can update just that one directory set, when new versions of the tools are available. I just point the IDE's settings to that set of directories as needed.

dgately
  • Thanks for trying to help me, but I'm actually looking for something in Propeller C, so could someone please point me in the right direction for that?
    Thanks for trying to help me, but I'm actually looking for something in Propeller C, so could someone please point me in the right direction for that?
    But you said "I checked my project directory and it seems that "Blank Simple Project.spin is not there", and thus, I gave you a .spin blank project!!
    If you need a Blank Simple Project.c, it's probably there. And, here it is now:
    BlankCProject.png
    dgately
    1006 x 645 - 222K
  • dgately wrote: »
    sonic0021 wrote: »
    Thanks for trying to help me, but I'm actually looking for something in Propeller C, so could someone please point me in the right direction for that?
    But you said "I checked my project directory and it seems that "Blank Simple Project.spin is not there", and thus, I gave you a .spin blank project!!
    If you need a Blank Simple Project.c, it's probably there. And, here it is now:
    BlankCProject.png
    dgately

Yep, the Blank Simple Project.c is there for sure! I apologize if I caused any inconvenience, but it seems that I couldn't get the thing to read the .spin file no matter what I tried. What I did there was put the blank spin project into the "My Projects" directory, then set the compiler type to SPIN, then clicked New file -> Create, but got the same error. As I may have said before, I don't have any experience with Spin, so I plan on doing this in Propeller C.
  • Also, there was no .side file in the folder.
    What I did there was put the blank spin project into the "My Projects" directory, then set the compiler type to SPIN, then clicked New file -> Create, but got the same error. As I may have said before, I don't have any experience with Spin, so I plan on doing this in Propeller C.
    Yes, that version of SimpleIDE only appears to let you create new "projects", not single files... If you hover your cursor over the "New" icon, you'll see that it will give you a "New Project" hint, rathe than "New File". I have an older version of SimpleIDE that allows creating new files of any type.
    Also, there was no .side file in the folder.
    That's odd... My install has a "Blank Simple Project.side" file for the "C" project and another for the C++ project. The C project side file is just a text file with the following content (you can make one from this):
    Blank Simple Project.c
    >compiler=C
    >memtype=cmm main ram compact
    >optimize=-Os
    >-m32bit-doubles
    >-fno-exceptions
    >defs::-std=c99
    >-lm
    >BOARD::ACTIVITYBOARD

Create a new text file with any editor (Well, I guess you can't use SimpleIDE for this!) and add the above content. Then save it in the "My Projects" directory. You should be able to open it with "Open Project".
    Sad, but you may need to copy the .c and .side files when you want to create your projects.

dgately
  • sonic0021sonic0021 Posts: 22
    edited 2019-02-19 02:19
    dgately wrote: »
    That's odd... My install has a "Blank Simple Project.side" file for the "C" project and another for the C++ project.

What I meant was that there was no "Blank simple Project.side" file in the blank spin project file you gave me. I have one for C and C++, but not for Spin.
    What I meant was that there was no "Blank simple Project.side" file in the blank spin project file you gave me. I have one for C and C++, but not for Spin.
    It would contain...
    BlankSpinExample.spin
    >compiler=SPIN

• dgately wrote: »
    sonic0021 wrote: »
    It would contain...
    BlankSpinExample.spin
    >compiler=SPIN

I'm still getting the same error, so, again, I apologize for any inconvenience, I'm actually looking for something in Propeller C, so can someone please point me in the right direction for it?