Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
compiling ebasic3 with p2gcc — Parallax Forums

compiling ebasic3 with p2gcc

I just tried compiling my ebasic3 interpreter using p2gcc and I realize that I don't know how to invoke it properly. Here is the command I issued and the error message I got. I see it has a -L option to specify the library base address but how do I tell it how to locate prefix.spin2?
p2gcc -o eb3_p2gcc -D PROPELLER -L ../p2gcc/lib ebasic.c db_compiler.c db_edit.c db_expr.c db_generate.c db_image.c db_scan.c db_statement.c db_symbols.c db_system.c db_vmdebug.c db_vmint.c editbuf.c  simple_vsnprintf.c osint_prop2.c
Could not open /prefix.spin2

Comments

• You have to define the environment variable P2GCC_LIBDIR. I normally go into the p2gcc/lib directory and then type:
    export P2GCC_LIBDIR=$PWD

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    You have to define the environment variable P2GCC_LIBDIR. I normally go into the p2gcc/lib directory and then type:
    export P2GCC_LIBDIR=$PWD

Thanks! I did that and removed the -L option from my command line but now I get this:
    p2gcc -o eb3_p2gcc -D PROPELLER ebasic.c db_compiler.c db_edit.c db_expr.c db_generate.c db_image.c db_scan.c db_statement.c db_symbols.c db_system.c db_vmdebug.c db_vmint.c editbuf.c  simple_vsnprintf.c osint_prop2.c
    Couldn't open prefix.o

• You have to build the library. Go into p2gcc/lib and type ./buildlibs.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-02-17 23:09
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    You have to build the library. Go into p2gcc/lib and type ./buildlibs.
    Thanks! I now get this. I guess I'd better help flesh out the library! :smile:
    _setjmp is unresolved
    _strchr is unresolved
    _longjmp is unresolved
    _strtoul is unresolved
    _vsnprintf is unresolved
    _memmove is unresolved

• @"Dave Hein" , Would it make sense to have the library building also done in the top level build_* file(s) for the different platforms? I found I needed to do that step too through some trial and error before I could build the demos and I don't think that part was explained in the readme file.
  • @rogloh, yes it does make sense to include that in the top level build scripts. I'll go ahead and add it.

@David, adding strchr, strtoul and memmove should be fairly easy. There is an existing vsprintf, so it shouldn't be to hard to add vsnprintf. I think for setjmp and longjmp I just need to store the values of lr and sp. I need to look into this to make sure that's sufficient. Feel free to implement the functions, and I'll add them to the repository.
  • I moved strchr, strtoul, and memmove over from the PropGCC library and started using vsprintf instead of vsnprintf. I also created a dummy setjmp/longjmp as below and was able to get ebasic3 to build using p2gcc but it doesn't seem to run. It doesn't even print out its banner at the start. I've attached my sources.
    #include <setjmp.h>

void longjmp(jmp_buf env, int val)
    {
    }

int setjmp(jmp_buf env)
    {
        return 0;
    }

• I added a sleep(1) at the beginning of the main function, and it does print "ebasic3". I then added a few trace prints in main, and it appears to step through main, and then returns at the end.

p2gcc did have a problem with initialized char and short variables that are declared outside of functions. If the total size of the chars and shorts isn't a multiple of 4 it creates an odd size object. When this is linked with the other objects it causes them to not be long-aligned. I modified p2link to check for this, and it pads out odd size objects when linking. I checked this fix for p2link_src/p2link.c into GitHub.
    I added a sleep(1) at the beginning of the main function, and it does print "ebasic3". I then added a few trace prints in main, and it appears to step through main, and then returns at the end.
    Ah, I keep forgetting to add a delay at the start before printing anything. Thanks!
    p2gcc did have a problem with initialized char and short variables that are declared outside of functions. If the total size of the chars and shorts isn't a multiple of 4 it creates an odd size object. When this is linked with the other objects it causes them to not be long-aligned. I modified p2link to check for this, and it pads out odd size objects when linking. I checked this fix for p2link_src/p2link.c into GitHub.
    Thanks but are you saying that the GitHub sources aren't necessarily the most current code? Where do I go to make sure I'm using the latest version?
  • GitHub contains the most up-to-date code. I had committed the changes into GitHub just before I made my last post.
    GitHub contains the most up-to-date code. I had committed the changes into GitHub just before I made my last post.
    Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I was always working with the most recent code. I update from GitHub frequently so I guess that should take care of it. Thanks for all of your work on this!
  • I added strchr, strtoul, memmove, setjmp and longjmp to the p2gcc library.
    I added strchr, strtoul, memmove, setjmp and longjmp to the p2gcc library.
    Thanks!

• David Betz wrote: »
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    I added strchr, strtoul, memmove, setjmp and longjmp to the p2gcc library.
    Thanks!
    I just got home and tried compiling ebasic3 with your new compiler. I'm definitely getting closer. It compiled and linked without errors and the line editor seems to work but the bytecode compiler or interpreter are having some problems. I'm also still missing setjmp/longjmp. Here is the output of my first test run:
    Davids-Mac-mini:ebasic3 dbetz$ load eb_p2gcc
    Unsupported baudrate 921600. Use Setting clock_mode to 12427f8
    Loading eb_p2gcc - 75964 bytes
    eb_p2gcc loaded
    ( Entering terminal mode.  Press Ctrl-] to exit. )
    ebasic3
    list
    OK
    10 print "Hello, world!"
    20 for x = 1 to 10
    30 print x, x*x
    40 next x
    list
    10  print "Hello, world!"
    20  for x = 1 to 10
    30  print x, x*x
    40  next x
    OK
    run
    Hello, world!
    0	1222103644
    -167504895	1555899120
    -60809720	-136850852
    -167764472	-1689447968
    -251391696	659245778
    -83878385	218027164
    -83878898	1999267432
    1919055219	-482590542
    OK

• setjmp/longjmp should be in the library. I assume you ran build_macos after getting a fresh copy of p2gcc from GitHub. This script now run the buildlibs script. You should have a setjmp.o file in the lib directory. Can you run p2dumpobj, and see if setjmp appears in the output?

When I build and run the code you posted in the zip file it just prints ebasic3. I added a print before the "return 0" in main, it just appears to run straight through main, and then returns. Did you have to make any changes to get it to the point where you could edit? Do I need to put something in argc and argv? They are initialized to zero.
  • Sorry. I still had my dummy setjmp.c in place. I removed it and rebuilt using your version. Things still don't work but I think the problem is mine at this point because they don't work on the Mac either. I typed the line "print a[" which should have displayed an error. It did that but then failed to restart the editor. BTW, the latest code is now in:

https://github.com/dbetz/ebasic3

You can build the p2gcc version with this command:
    make eb_p2gcc

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-02-20 02:32
    Okay, I just pushed a fix to the error handling bug. Errors now return to the editor command processor. BASIC programs still don't compile correctly to byte code under p2gcc even though they do on the Mac. I still have to track down why.

Edit: And thanks for the setjmp/longjmp implementation. It seems to work fine!
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2019-02-20 02:40
    I was able to do a simple straight-line program, but things do go haywire if I add more than a few statements. This program works up to line 50 where it prints the wrong thing.
    10 i=123
    20 print i
    30 j = 3
    40 print j
    50 print i j

I was able to do a simple straight-line program, but things do go haywire if I add more than a few statements. This program works up to line 50 where it prints the wrong thing.
    10 i=123
    20 print i
    30 j = 3
    40 print j
    50 print i j

Something strange is happening with the byte code compiler. It seems to only emit every other instruction. It doesn't do that when compiled for the Mac. I have to track down what is going wrong.
    50 print i j

FYI, that would have to be written:
    50 print i, j

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I have a question...

How hard would it be to have an option to use the inbuilt ROM Monitor Serial Routines? They are just hubexec calls and the requirement of COG $1E0-$1EF for variables. They have not changed in the new respin.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    I have a question...

How hard would it be to have an option to use the inbuilt ROM Monitor Serial Routines? They are just hubexec calls and the requirement of COG $1E0-$1EF for variables. They have not changed in the new respin.

That sounds much harder than everyone doing their own variation on bit-bashing serial. It'll never catch on ;)
    I have a question...

Do they use smart pins? It would be nice to have some character buffering on input.

I have a question...

I know there's a ROM Monitor document some where, but I can't find it. Where's the document located?
  • So the getch.s and the putch.c could be changed to use the monitor code?

Mike
    David Betz wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I have a question...

Do they use smart pins? It would be nice to have some character buffering on input.
    Yes, the smartpins are used. Fixed to P62 & P63 but could be patched. INT is not used.

There are two reads, one is char only, no buffering, and the other reads a string terminated with <cr>.

Don’t have the link just now. Will post it later.

An extra feature i found handy is to output a formatted memory dump. Set registers with start address, end address, and call it. Can be cog/lut/hub and formats address, 16 hex byte pairs, 16 ascii chars per line, which BTW can be saved and later fed back into the monitor lo load memory.
    iseries wrote: »
    So the getch.s and the putch.c could be changed to use the monitor code?

Mike

They were my thoughts. Plus read/write strings, etc. BTW strings must be in hub.
    [Yes, the smartpins are used. Fixed to P62 & P63 but could be patched. INT is not used.

There are two reads, one is char only, no buffering, and the other reads a string terminated with <cr>.
    Doesn't using the smartpin provide at least one character of buffering even in single character mode? Also, does your line input code support backspace for line editing?
    Yes and yes
    Yes and yes
    Thanks. I can try using one of these functions but Dave will have to decide if he wants his library to use them.