Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA smaller text — Parallax Forums

VGA smaller text

Is it possible to decrease the text size in a VGA program to get more rows and columns and thus be able to put more info on screen?
If so what must be changed? I'm using the VGA_TEXT object.
Thanks
Aaron

Comments

• That all depends, these things are hand optimized assembler, so nothing is trivial. There are
    many VGA objects supporting different modes/resolutions out there..
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2019-02-08 16:18
    You could try the VGA Hi Res object ( http://obex.parallax.com/sites/default/files/obj/id/650/VGA_HiRes_Text_Demo_-_Archive__Date_2008.02.27__Time_15.06.zip ).

It is a 1024x768 VGA signal which contains 128 columns x 64 rows of 8x12 characters.
  • Look at what's available in the Object Exchange (OBEX). Higher resolution requires the use of more cogs. For example, a 1600 x 1200 display with a cursor needs 7 cogs just for the VGA driver. It's not too practical, but was intended as a demonstration. The one mentioned by kwinn is very practical ... uses only 2 cogs
  • I like the TV_TEXT for playing around because it is easy. However I am out of TVs on my desk but still have 2 unused VGA monitors doing not much. The other day I discovered the VGA_TEXT which is also very simple but isn't able to display much text because of font size. I have used the
    VGA Hi Res but have found it too complicated for just playing around. I just looked at VGA High-Res Text Demo and will have to play with it some more. Maybe I can figure out how to make it simpler. I'll also check out others in OBEX
    Thanks for the help!
    Aaron