New Parallax 360 Feedback Servo

1234568»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 19,377
    Where's erco been lately? Head down and buried in work. This is my crazy time of year, New York Toy Fair (NYTF) is coming up mid-February, where I go to seek my fortune. I'm churning out lots of confidential toy prototypes to shop around to various manufacturers. The only freelance job I've taken recently is this prop for someone's toy gallery at NYTF. Their product is a variety of animal characters packaged in food containers. They described their vision for large prop, sort of a one-armed bandit game to promote their "which color will you get" theme. These 3 white containers will be fully decorated with rotating eyes. Video below is just my lame eye graphics for a progress update to the client. Anyway, each container is powered by... you guessed it, a Parallax 360 servo. They work well, I just need to manage the accelerations, the spinning drums are giant flywheels that could easily strip the servo gears otherwise. I'll try to get some video from NYTF of the finished prop.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • "I feel a blue, blue, blue coming up"... Hmmm, seems fixed :-]
    Livermore, CA (50 miles SE of San Francisco)
    Yes, I'm just testing the indexing at this phase. Will add real randomness next, using the old "how long was the button pressed" as a seed value. But the client did like my idea to always force a win on the first operation after powerup. When special guests or the media comes, you just secretly cycle the power and Lady Luck smiles.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco,

You're having that much fun AND you get paid for it? You're livin' the dream, man! My hero!

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    Must play to win! :)

You're still MY hero PhiPi!

- Pablo Picasso
  • @erco Put that on letsrobot.tv so I can try :)
    Good call! Maybe after Toy Fair, 'cuz I can't wear it out before then. :)

- Pablo Picasso
    What's an Arduino library?

:)

- Pablo Picasso
  • @tomcrawford

I have built a Activity bot and trying to get the "Juke-Bot" project posted by
    Andy Linsey - Spin tutorials.
    I have the 360 servos installed and I need to use your 360 driver to incorporated
    in the code for it to work.
    As I have it now the servos act very erratic due the wrong driver.

I was studying your driver with the Demo and I do understand some spin and can write
    very basic stuff.
    In your servo driver and the demo code the following line of code appear and I do not
    understand what it is referring in relation to the code.

The code line is : "dispThree(FBS.GetVelocity(TheServo))". As I undertand reference
    to a method has a period(.) after the method.
    I would very happy if you can explain the above line so it will help to understand
    the code structure.
    I would appreciate any assistance to get the "Juke-Bot" working with your 360 deriver.

Thank you,

Siri
  • @msiriwardena

dispThree is a method within the demo program that just displays up to 3 decimal digits with leading blanks if needful.

FBS.GetVelocity(TheServo) returns the current velocity of TheServo.

Re-inventing the wheel is not a waste of time if, when you are done, you understand why it is round.
  • @tomcrawford
    I got confused with a call to an Object. This was call for an method.

Thanks Tom and if by any chance have ideas to apply to the "Juke-Bot" I will be glad.

Thanks again

Siri
    edited 2019-02-17 - 01:12:29
    Update from New York Toy Fair: Here's the final installation of the props I built using the feedback 360 servos to feature the new "Foodie Roo" toy line. Working great on day one of a 4-day show. Hope the servo gears stand up to this heavy commercial use, I programmed very gentle accelerations and decelerations to minimize forces. These were decorated after I delivered them, I'm happy to see they look great and work great.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Smooth! Love it.