Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE on Linux — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE on Linux

Hi, Installed SimpleIDE on Linux Ubuntu and it recognizes the boards when plugged in but when I try to load something into the board it says "Build Failed. Check Build Status for errors" and then it says "Error is : Permission denied, error: opening serial port '/dev/ttyUSB0'" does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Need to add yourself to the dialout group most likely and then reboot.

Try the following command:
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

and then reboot
  • So basically just open a terminal and type that?
  • Yes, that is the command that adds you to the dialout group. Yes, you will have to reboot, just to be on the safe side, although I think you just have to logout, but I am not sure now.

Ray
  • This assumes you're on a debian-based distribution, like Ubuntu or Mint. Other distributions might use a different name for the group. It also assumes the "USER" environment variable is defined. You can check these things with the following commands:

Check group of /dev/ttyUSB0 with "ls -lh /dev/ttyUSB0" and look for the word following "root". Note that it says "dialout" on mine, which is the group owner of the file. If yours says something different, then use that in the usermod command above.
    david@balrog:~$ ls -lh /dev/ttyUSB0
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Feb  1 15:42 /dev/ttyUSB0
    david@balrog:~$

To check your username, just look at your terminal. I was typing my first post from my phone and didn't really feel like doing much googling... "$USER" was easy to type out. But if you're at all unsure, just replace "$USER" with your actual username... you can probably type that faster anyway! For me, I would run:
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout david

Because you can clearly see from the prompt in my terminal (as pasted above, with the "ls" command) that my username is "david"
  • Tried all that but keep getting the same error...
  • Franny wrote: »
    Tried all that but keep getting the same error...

Can you print the results of the following two commands?
    ls -lh /dev/ttyUSB*

groups

Can you also confirm for us that you did a full reboot after running the usermod command?
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2019-02-03 13:19
    Was your propeller plugged in at the time that you ran the commands? The ls command implies it was not. If it was, that's a hint.

The groups command shows that you are not yet in the dialout group. Can you run the usermod command again and screenshot the result? After screenshoting, reboot, plug in the propeller, and run the above ls and groups commands and take another screenshot.
  • It worked yay!!!
    Thanks David, you the best!
  • Having a new situation now, this is a different computer
  • Check your software manager, mine had the IDE in it and installed it for me.