Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD boot problem ??? — Parallax Forums

SD boot problem ???

I have this simple code stored as my _BOOT_P2.BIX file on my SD card.
CON
  _blueled      = 29                                    ' 1=ON
DAT
                orgh    0
                org     0
entry           drvnot  #_blueled                       ' 
                waitx   ##20_000_000                    'delay
                jmp     #entry
I have a blue led connected on P29 via a 5K to ground on my P2D2 board.

I note when I plug into the USB (for power) that the SD program loads and runs.

BUT, the led flashes about 1/2s on and 1/2s off for a few seconds before it flashes randomly for a really short time, and then flashes constantly at about 1s on and 1s off. It looks like the board is resetting. Maybe its a power issue from the USB computer port.

I haven't had time yet to check on the P2-EVAL board yet and just on way out.

Its probably just the power from the laptop causing this, but I want to be sure. Can anyone test this on either P2D2 or P2-EVAL (change led to P56 on P2-EVAL) to confirm its working ok.

Sorry, but time is short for the ROM code so I want to be sure.

Comments

• whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2019-02-02 05:34
    I changed _blueled = 56
    Named it asm_led_toggle.spin2
    Compiled it with spin2gui
    grabbed the asm_led_toggle.binary file, made a copy, renamed that to _BOOT_P2.BIX

grabbed an SD formatter to format a PNY Micro SDHC 4GB card as FAT32.
    copied the binary file over, safely removed device.

Plugged it into the P2 EVAL.
    Plugged the PC USB in.

The blue LEDs do their weird floaty thing, but then P56 starts flashing at the 2 Hz 0.5 Hz.
    P61 is also lit up blue.

if I press and release PROPELLER RESET, it almost immediately starts flashing P56.

If I plug or unplug a USB game controller (XBOX ONE with vibration motor) into the slot next to the USB port I'm using, it causes the P2 EVAL to reset both times.
    Same thing with plugging in the SD card reader. Plug it in, P2 EVAL resets but runs the boot file from SD. Unplug it, P2 EVAL resets, but runs the boot file from SD.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    whicker wrote: »
    I changed _blueled = 56
    Named it asm_led_toggle.spin2
    Compiled it with spin2gui
    grabbed the asm_led_toggle.binary file, made a copy, renamed that to _BOOT_P2.BIX

grabbed an SD formatter to format a PNY Micro SDHC 4GB card as FAT32.
    copied the binary file over, safely removed device.

Plugged it into the P2 EVAL.
    Plugged the PC USB in.

The blue LEDs do their weird floaty thing, but then P56 starts flashing at the 2 Hz 0.5 Hz.
    P61 is also lit up blue.

if I press and release PROPELLER RESET, it almost immediately starts flashing P56.

If I plug or unplug a USB game controller (XBOX ONE with vibration motor) into the slot next to the USB port I'm using, it causes the P2 EVAL to reset both times.
    Thanks for trying this. Seems the boards are seeing multiple resets.
    Same thing with plugging in the SD card reader. Plug it in, P2 EVAL resets but runs the boot file from SD. Unplug it, P2 EVAL resets, but runs the boot file from SD.
    ??? Do you mean you are plugging in the SD card, and removing it? When you remove it, it still reloads the boot file from SD even tho' you removed it???

• No. What I call a "SD card reader" is the device I am plugging into a USB port on my PC that allows it to read and write the cards.
    For this test I was leaving the actual SD card in the P2 EVAL socket the whole time.

If I remove the SD card from P2 eval, it does not boot what was on the SD card after the P2 EVAL resets (either caused by USB bus disturbance or by pressing the onboard reset button).
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Thanks whicker
    We seem to be seeing power instability???
    Perhaps I need to try external power supply.