Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax WX ESP8266 disable remote code load — Parallax Forums

Parallax WX ESP8266 disable remote code load

I have the ESP8266 board and have used it to load some code on a Prop board.

Now I want to hide it from the simpleIDE so that I don't accidently load some other code on it.

Is there a way through the web page for the unit to disable the UDP code so that it doesn't respond?

Mike

Comments

• You could update the ESP firmware to the same firmware that the BadgeWX uses, and then assert io0 any time you want to block uploads. Or send a serial command to lock/unlock.

If that sounds like a good solution, I could get the firmware file for you next week, along with the code snippet and wiring info.
  • The problem is I have several of these units and when I enter the SimpleIDE it picks one of them in the serial interface.

Since the unit is now in production run mode I don't want it to show up so I don't have to deal with it.

There should be an option on the web page to turn it off so it works like an ESP8266 device.

At this point I am thinking about replacing it with an ESP8266 unit.

Mike

• Do you still need the WiFi module to be online at this stage ?

I mean, could you power down the WiFi module whilst you don't need to be programming the Propeller over wifi ?

If that is the case, just hold the wifi module reset pin low to keep it off. That's the pin next to Gnd on the SIP header.
  • The reason for the WiFi unit is to communicate with a web service. Every 10 minutes or so it goes and gets an update.

So no, can't turn the unit off or unplug it.

I did see in the code that there is a function called "initDiscovery". I need to add some code that sets a variable that it checks before it tries to start this service. That should fix my problem.

Mike
  • Alright, I made a custom version of the Parallax-ESP code that allows me to hide the unit from the loader.

On the setting screen I added a new parameter that allows me to hide the unit.

I also went ahead and built the product using almost the latest SDK 2.2.1

So far works great.

Mike
    1269 x 805 - 77K
  • iseries wrote: »
    Alright, I made a custom version of the Parallax-ESP code that allows me to hide the unit from the loader.

On the setting screen I added a new parameter that allows me to hide the unit.

I also went ahead and built the product using almost the latest SDK 2.2.1

So far works great.

Mike
    Nice addition. I wonder if Parallax would want to incorporate this in their official version of the firmware?