Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Delphi Community Edition IDE - Free for individuals and Company's with revenue less than US $5000. — Parallax Forums

Delphi Community Edition IDE - Free for individuals and Company's with revenue less than US $5000.

This is the same as the Delphi Pro version that I used to pay allot of money for annually. There are still a few object Pascal Propheads out there. Happy programming !!
:)

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter

Start Building Apps Today with Delphi Community Edition
Delphi Community Edition provides you with integrated and professional-level developer tools from Day 1
Develop Windows, macOS, Android and iOS applications with a single codebase
Visual Design using the Delphi VCL and FireMonkey frameworks
Built-in Debugging Tools that allow you to debug on any device
Build database apps with local/embedded capabilities
Hundreds of included components to enhance your app and reduce development cycles
Licensed for use until your individual revenue from Delphi applications or company revenue reaches $5,000 US or your development team expands to more than 5 developers
The best part? When your application or business takes off, you don’t have to learn new tools or port code from various toolsets. Start working right away with your existing codebase in any of our paid editions while gaining access to additional capabilities.

Comments

• Ah, that brings back memories :) That was my goto language for PC development back in the day, along with VB too of course. But now there are just so so many choices, both free or cheap. Does anybody still use Delphi?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    This is the same as the Delphi Pro version that I used to pay allot of money for annually. There are still a few object Pascal Propheads out there. Happy programming !!
    :)

Interesting, nice to see they still do this.
    I have their Berlin 10.1 release installed, but mostly use Lazarus.
    We have one Delphi code base that we have to use XP + Old Delphi to compile, as their "backward compatible" was not great...

They list what is new in 10.2.3 Tokyo here
    https://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/whats-new-in-rad-studio-10-2-tokyo

I see mention of CLang and LLVM, which could interest some ?
  • Does anybody still use Delphi?
    What do you think PropTool is written in?

-Phil
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    Does anybody still use Delphi?
    What do you think PropTool is written in?

-Phil

..and PropBASIC was written in Delphi and ported to Lazarus. (& likely could still compile in Delphi, as it's a command line product)
  • But don't get any ideas that PropTool will be open-sourced anytime soon. The editor module is proprietary.

-Phil
  • company revenue less then $5000/year? Less then 5 developers?

Is there some joke in there I am missing?

So this offer is for small start-ups with just 4 developers, burning startup- money and never earn anything?

Even MS is not that bad...

Mike
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No Linux support. Useless. We will stick to Lazarus.
  • @Heater

re:No Linux support. Useless. We will stick to Lazarus.

Lazarus, Open Source IDE for freepascal is written in Delphi :)

• Nice link, Bob. From the PCB software point of view, Altium and Diptrace. Who knew...
  • Tubular wrote: »
    Nice link, Bob. From the PCB software point of view, Altium and Diptrace. Who knew...

My thoughts exactly.
  • Good to know! Thanks Bob!

Incidentally I still run an ancestor to the Delphi idea on a VM for routine activities requiring better methods then also writing it in BASIC. (MS descended from that college idea) They use their Pascal talents to make Delphi work.

TPW 1.0 Turbo Pascal for Windows version 1.0 was in fact Delphi version 0.
    Bob Lawrence,
    Lazarus, Open Source IDE for freepascal is written in Delphi
    Perhaps. I don't know for sure but Lazarus is an Open Source recreation of Delphi using FPC so I imagine one can build Lazarus using Lazarus and FPC. No Delphi required.

Anyway, my point was that the Delphi IDE on offer cannot be used to develop Pascal applications for Linux and other systems. Great if you want to make an app that runs on Android/iOS perhaps.

As for the "famous" software created using Delphi I have not used any of it except Skype. Which is not a good example given the difficulty it has had running on Linux.

Pascal is great and all but there is no standard for it so it is off my radar.

• Does anybody still use Delphi?
    My day job...mostly Delphi, some C/C++/C#
    IHS Markit Petra

• @Heater.

re:Anyway, my point was that the Delphi IDE on offer cannot be used to develop Pascal applications for Linux and other systems. Great if you want to make an app that runs on Android/iOS

I believe you are correct in that you cannot use the community version and for
    Delphi Linux: You need the server version " RAD Studio"
    ===========================================
    Linux Application Development
    RAD Studio allows you to develop applications for the target Linux platform. Using RAD Studio installed on Windows machine, you can create a 64-bit Linux application and deploy it to the Linux machine. Developing Linux applications is similar to creating Android apps in RAD Studio. However, for Linux, you cannot create the visual VCL and FireMonkey applications. Here is the list of apps that are available for the Linux platform:

Console Application
    EMS Package (RAD Server)
    DataSnap
    DataSnap WebBroker
    WebBroker
    Dynamic-link Libraries
    DUnitX Project

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Tokyo/en/Linux_Application_Development
    I have no idea what any of that is about.

But now I come to the next hurdle.

I do not want to spend even one second developing software that depends on some companies proprietary tool support. Neither does any company I have worked for in a couple of decades. They learned what a trap that can be.

The RAD Studio thing already locks one into the owner of RAD Studio and Microsoft to provide the OS to run it on.

A double no-no.

• Heater, I use Lazarus and FPC quite a bit. Lazarus does compile itself, no Delphi needed. It works rather nicely on Win and Linux and I especially like that the Lazarus/FPC community has many very knowledgeable members; ya know, that Open Source vibe! :-)

Mike R...
    I'm somewhat familiar with Lazarus and FPC. Major chunks of our companies software are written in Pascal including a quite complex GUI tool created with Lazarus. From time to time I'm called on to do some work on that. I have had to port the non-gui things from Windows to Linux and get them running on embedded ARM boards which was fairly painless.

It's not really my up of tea. I'm generally allergic to having to use yet another IDE. Luckily I have been able to do most of what I need to do from the command line and using the editor of my choice.

Pascal is OK I guess. Where it falls down for me is in the lack of a standard and the dearth of libraries.

• Thank you @Bob Lawrence.

I have now had the free Delphi since you started this thread. Used to do some Delphi an age ago, but dust had settled heavily on my OOP skills. After a month or so with the ne Delphi, most of the dust is gone. It feel really good to be back up and running, even if it is just for the fun of it.

Thanks,
    Erlend
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2019-01-10 01:54
    @Erlend
    Thank you @Bob Lawrence.

I'm happy that someone tried it out. It's a great system and I got away from it too because of the pricing structure and all I was using it for is learning and a few hobby projects. the past few years I was doing lots of Android for most things but it's great to have Delphi back again. I've been using it off and on since Delphi Version 3. :) I just purchased the TMS Web Core add on and can spit out JavaScript with the Delphi code too . Lots of fun! :)
  • It is nice to see this is going and going.

But I got my start on the PC programming using Turbo Pascal.