Breakouts for P2 Eval - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Breakouts for P2 Eval

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    Here's the HyperRAM + SQI Flash + USB + uSD board
    1957 x 1025 - 44K
    883 x 1149 - 185K
    I did these in a rush, there maybe mistakes, hope not too bad...
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Rayman wrote: »
    Got some boards on order...
    Here's the 4.3" TFT board (screen grabs and eagle source attached).

I think you meant to label those as AHC574, which are _/= D-FF (not AHC573) ?
    Cascade of D-FF, as you have here, lays out nicely, but imposes more restrictions on the P2 side. Probably ok to 15MHz target ?
    I couldn't find 574 in eagle... 573 has same pinout, so used that.
    I'm actually not sure if regular or transparent D flip-flop is better here...
  • Rayman,

Since you are the "video guy" when it comes to Propeller ;-), do you know why this 7 inch display with the VGA/HDMI/Composite board from SainSmart is not able to be used with P2 (Cluso's and ozprop's VGA code)?

The board and display: https://sainsmart.com/products/7-lcd-touch-screen-with-hdmi-vga-input-driver-board-for-raspberry-pi

The board is: HDMI+VGA+2AV Controller Board VS-TY2662-V1, and the data sheet is at: vslcd.com/Specification/VS-TY2662-V1.pdf

I've hooked one up to the P2ES after testing the P2ES with my 14" VGA LCD monitor (which works!), but what happens is:

On boot-up of the P2ES with the VGA code loaded (on the 7" display), The display changes its "no display connected" alert to a blank screen (this is good as that's what it does just before it starts to display on the 14" monitor), then I get a white flash on the screen about every 3 to 4 seconds.

So, the monitor sees that something is connected, but there seems to be a synch problem.

What should I look for in debugging this? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
    dgately
    I couldn't find 574 in eagle... 573 has same pinout, so used that.
    I'm actually not sure if regular or transparent D flip-flop is better here...

D-FF is the only one that will work :)
    dgately wrote: »
    ...do you know why this 7 inch display with the VGA/HDMI/Composite board from SainSmart is not able to be used with P2 (Cluso's and ozprop's VGA code)?
    That looks to be 800x480 VGA, whilst the P2 VGA code there is VGA 1920x1080x4bpp @148.5MHz
    ie the P2 is likely too fast on those settings ?
    dgately: I'd make sure the crystal settings are for 20 MHz and not 12 MHz. Oz people were using a different board with different crystal...

On the monitor, see if it can tell you refresh rate. Should be 60Hz.

Also, monitors seem to need the +5V connected, do you have that?
    jmg wrote: »

They are both D flip-flops but one has transparent latch. Seems like that might be better for setup and hold times...

• Rayman wrote: »
    dgately:
    On the monitor, see if it can tell you refresh rate. Should be 60Hz.
    Also, monitors seem to need the +5V connected, do you have that?
    I'll check again on the refresh rate. It think it was 72Hz when it came up as a second display on my Mac...
    Yes, I set the VGA programs up on the SD card to run on boot and was supplying +5V to the secondary P2 USB input, when I was testing.

dgately

• jmg wrote: »
    ...do you know why this 7 inch display with the VGA/HDMI/Composite board from SainSmart is not able to be used with P2 (Cluso's and ozprop's VGA code)?
    That looks to be 800x480 VGA, whilst the P2 VGA code there is VGA 1920x1080x4bpp @148.5MHz
    ie the P2 is likely too fast on those settings ?
    Ah, so I might need to wait for one of our video experts to come up with an 800x400 driver (I'm not up to that skillset, yet!).

Thanks,
    dgately

They are both D flip-flops but one has transparent latch. Seems like that might be better for setup and hold times...

Not quite
    HC573 : Octal D-type transparant latch;
    HC574 : Octal D-type flip-flop; positive edge-trigger

The HC573 Q follows D whilst LE is high, and holds when it goes low. Good for an ALE bus, but no good here.
    I posted EV versions of Chip's 640x480 VGA demos here somewhere recently...
    The board and display: https://sainsmart.com/products/7-lcd-touch-screen-with-hdmi-vga-input-driver-board-for-raspberry-pi

The board is: HDMI+VGA+2AV Controller Board VS-TY2662-V1, and the data sheet is at: vslcd.com/Specification/VS-TY2662-V1.pdf

Interesting part, I find data on RTD2660 here and short info on RTD2662 here

Those parts could be useful P2 bridges, for the higher resolution LCDs, from VGA in (or even Component Video in).

They spec Icc with these conditions :
    RTD2660/RTD2662
    Integrated 8-bit triple-channel 210/165MHz ADC/PLL(option)
    Output Interface:
    1 and 2 pixel/clock panel support and up to 170MHz, 1920/1440-pixel width(option)
    Tested At:
    VGA-in: 1600x1200/75Hz,display to 1680x1050/75Hz,DCLK=170MHz.
    HDMI-in: 1600x1200/60Hz,display to 1680x1050/60Hz.
    Video Decoder-in:DVD-player;AV-in;display to 1680x1050

It seems like there is firmware in SPI Flash, that determines just what the RTD266x PCB/LCD pair can actually do.

Did you exercise the Display on a PC Video card, to confirm what VGA modes it can correctly transcode to the LCD & check how they look ?

I see also now better form factor versions arriving, like this one
    https://www.sainsmart.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/5-capacitive-touch-screen-800-480-lcd-hdmi-display-for-raspberry-pi

That PCB lacks a VGA connector/pathway, but it seems some footprint could be added, if the PCB designer was motivated by P2 ?
    Did you exercise the Display on a PC Video card, to confirm what VGA modes it can correctly transcode to the LCD & check how they look ?

I did test several resolutions and MHz's with the LCD connected to my MacBook Pro as a secondary display. I'll have to retry and see what comes up (I thought I was getting a higher res than 800x480, but am a bit fuzzy at this point)... I also think I tried the lower resolution VGA code without success.

dgately

• Rayman, are you taking pre-orders for you boards? If so, add me to the list for the VGA+Audio board.
    edited 2019-01-01 12:57
    I can’t sell anymore :(
    But I’ll contact you if there are extras

I did test several resolutions and MHz's with the LCD connected to my MacBook Pro as a secondary display. I'll have to retry and see what comes up (I thought I was getting a higher res than 800x480, but am a bit fuzzy at this point)... I also think I tried the lower resolution VGA code without success.
    If you have a scope or logic analyzer, you could capture the timing info (fh, fv, & porches) which could help tune drivers that work.
    With 'higher resolution' support, they need to alias down to fewer pixels, so that can look worse than native LCD resolution.

Just tested the VGA part of the VGA+audio+camera board and it works.
    It gets rid of the ghosting artifact I saw when using jumper wires.
    3024 x 4032 - 2M
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2019-01-08 15:33
    who are you using for quick turn boards? are you having to convert to gerbers to send them? seems like you are getting boards in < 1 week
    edited 2019-01-08 15:40
    I use Pentalogix for fast boards. They cost a fortune, but can get fast...
    Yes, made Gerbers from Eagle using the Sparkfun cam file...
    the 4.3 on P2 is going to be a lot of fun
    Just don't want to use a ton of pins...

Think I can use 3 octal D flops to latch in 24-bit color...
    Maybe something like this: SN74LVC574A
    Then, can just use one edge of eval board...

Max dotclock is 15 MHz. Seems like would have all day with P2 at 300 MHz...

I know I'm late to the party, but there is a 16-way version of the 374/574 with straight-through pin out and
    better grounding: 74LVC16374

Its worth knowing various octal driver chips have these 16-way versions, try adding 16 before the part number...
    Mark_T wrote: »
    I know I'm late to the party, but there is a 16-way version of the 374/574 with straight-through pin out and

I don't think that has straight thru pinout ?

The timing-optimized and least-sw-lines hardware here, could actually be one each of 74LVC574A & 74LVC573A
    First one latches on rising clock edge, and second one holds on falling clock edge, so needs a single clock strobe to load/hold 16b

That sounds interesting, sorta like DDR. But, this particular LCD has a much slower interface, so speed doesn't really help.
    Mark_T wrote: »

I don't think that has straight thru pinout ?

The timing-optimized and least-sw-lines hardware here, could actually be one each of 74LVC574A & 74LVC573A
    First one latches on rising clock edge, and second one holds on falling clock edge, so needs a single clock strobe to load/hold 16b

Straight-through (you couldn't lay it out otherwise at that pin spacing!), the keyword is apparantly "WideBus family", from TI. Available as 0.05", 0.5mm and 0.4mm spaced SMT packages and BGA

It may just consist of versions of 374/244/245 from what I can see, I've used the 74LCX16374 for latching SDRAM addresses
    for a Prop1+SDRAM video generator: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/150407/video-graphics-controller-using-propeller-to-control-sdram
    Just tested the VGA part of the VGA+audio+camera board and it works.
    It gets rid of the ghosting artifact I saw when using jumper wires.
    I got the boards you sent me. Thanks!! Now I'd like to run your VGA demo code. I found this post that shows a VGA cable plugged into your board but where is the code?

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    Got it. Thanks!

• David Betz wrote: »
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Got it. Thanks!
    Very cool! My VGA monitor is now showing Ray's bird picture. Has anyone done any work to allow text to display on a VGA monitor?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Got it. Thanks!
    Very cool! My VGA monitor is now showing Ray's bird picture. Has anyone done any work to allow text to display on a VGA monitor?
    Both the 8bpp and the 16bpp code works although both have some garbage below the image. Is that expected?