Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 decoupling - as seen on Hsync signal — Parallax Forums

P2 decoupling - as seen on Hsync signal

TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
edited 2018-12-28 20:03 in Propeller 2
I noticed some RGB video signal leaking into the Hsync signal, while testing HD VGA these past couple of days.

At first I thought it might be IR drop related, then I noticed it was worse with text and lines (=high freq transitions), because the graphics tests with solid graphic blocks didn't have the same issue.

So, I'm guessing its decoupling cap related (open to other ideas though). I think one thing to try is to replace one of the two VIO caps in a block of 8 pins (= 1 LDO regulator) with a much smaller value, eg 47nF and see if it helps. So there would be 4u7 || 47nF.

This may be also affecting analog sigma delta operation

--

Here's the scope shot of HSync (yellow trace) when there is text or lots of random lines on the screen

DS1Z_QuickPrint126.png

IMG_20181228_163014.jpg

And here's the scope shot of HSync when there is solid blocks of color on the screen. Note there's only a spike where active video starts and stops.

DS1Z_QuickPrint124.png

IMG_20181228_163008.jpg

In both these the blue trace is a zoomed in, ac coupled 1v8 rail. It also could do with some decoupling, or improving cro grounding

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    I noticed that too...
  • Great, Rayman. Was hoping it wasn't just my setup.

One thing I was wondering, with my setup there's about a 20~25cm long section of ribbon cable from P2-Eval header to VGA socket. From there it goes through a 1.5m decent quality coax vga cable to the monitor. But it occurs to me there could also be capacitive coupling in the ribbon cable, and I should solder something more shielded to eliminate this possibility

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-12-28 20:19
    It could also be the way your scope probes are connected -- particularly the ground leads. Can you describe your setup?

-Phil
  • Yes, that could certainly be part of it. I'll setup again and get a photo, that'll help explain
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    my setup looked like this.
    Definitely possible that some noise is due to lack of ground plane to VGA header
    1512 x 2016 - 1M
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2018-12-28 20:57
    It seems to me that HSYNC integrity wouldn't be compromised, since it's some kind of level-sense, only, on the monitor side, and there's no RGB data disturbing HSYNC when it rises and falls (which might have induced a slight phase shift on HSYNC). The noise on HYSNC when it's low wouldn't register as anything to the monitor, which is looking for >1.4V, or so.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2018-12-28 21:11
    Thats right, the monitor isn't complaining. This is more about using video as a tool to look at whats happening with HF currents etc
    I was thinking we should construct a test screen which has vertical bars at different spacings/frequencies

• That looks very much like capacitive crosstalk - does it change if the connector/lead is removed?
  • I'm going to shorten the ribbon and see where we can get to
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2018-12-31 00:00
    I shortened the ribbon adapter from 23 to 5cm and that helped things a lot.

There's still a small residual amount of crosstalk when the cable is unplugged altogether, but it looks like it is indeed mostly crosstalk. Thanks guys
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I would bet that an adapter from the pin header on the P2 to a VGA connector that had alternating GND/Signal wires in a short ribbon cable would get rid of most of that crosstalk.
  • Tubular wrote: »
    I shortened the ribbon adapter from 23 to 5cm and that helped things a lot.

There's still a small residual amount of crosstalk when the cable is unplugged altogether, but it looks like it is indeed mostly crosstalk. Thanks guys

You could try disconnecting the vga and making a connector that plugs directly into the board with termination resistors and see if it goes away completely.
  • Good ideas

I'm keen to see how much an intermediate ground reduces crosstalk. Will give these ideas a try tomorrow