Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What clock speed are you running? — Parallax Forums

What clock speed are you running?

My board should arrive Monday sometime. Since some of you are up and running, or have boards and are getting setup, I thought it would make sense to see what speeds everyone is running.

Comments

• ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2018-12-24 02:53
    So far 80 MHz using TAQOZ.

Peter posted some additions to TAQOZ to allow speed changes in this thread:

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/167868/taqoz-tachyon-forth-for-the-p2-boot-rom

BTW, any idea on how to post a link directly to a comment instead of just the thread?

Edit:

Thanks to Cluso here is a direct link: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1458952/#Comment_1458952

C.W.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    148.5MHz because I am mostly running VGA 1920x1080x1bpp @148.5MHz
    ctwardell wrote: »
    So far 80 MHz using TAQOZ.

Peter posted some additions to TAQOZ to allow speed changes in this thread:

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/167868/taqoz-tachyon-forth-for-the-p2-boot-rom

BTW, any idea on how to post a link directly to a comment instead of just the thread?

C.W.

R-click on the time in the post you want, then copy the link. Easy once you know the secret ;)
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    R-click on the time in the post you want, then copy the link. Easy once you know the secret ;)

Thanks for the tip Cluso! I would not have found that on my own.

C.W.

• TAQOZ was tested on FPGA which ran at 80MHz but there was no way for use to test any clock options until we got silicon. But TAQOZ starts up in silicon at RCFAST speed of around 22MHz or so while thinking it is running at 80MHz. The code I posted on the other thread will let you select individual clock options easily or very simply by name such as RCFAST or CRUISE or TURBO etc.

UPS just rang to confirm the address so it sounds like I will have a P2-ES soon as well. I will test some code on that as soon as I get it and post it and the results on the TAQOZ thread later.
  • I like the Cruise, Turbo etc words. Nice touch

I did a test a couple of weeks ago trying NTSC video output off the RCFAST oscillator. It was a bit wobbly, but text was quite legible. RCFAST seems very stable. It will be interesting to see how much RCfast frequency varies from chip to chip

edited 2018-12-24 04:21
    Wait till you see text at 240x135 on a 24" monitor at VGA 1920x1080 :)
  • Spiffy
  • I've been running the eval board @ 200MHz for 8 hours now.
    Room temp is 35C (95F) and board temp is same as ambient. (no fan).
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2018-12-24 16:57
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    I've been running the eval board @ 200MHz for 8 hours now.
    Room temp is 35C (95F) and board temp is same as ambient. (no fan).
    That is quite impressive! Probably it will be feasable to run it at 240MHz. That way, it will be easy to clock for USB, and also support other protocols. Please, do correct me if I'm wrong, but 240MHz seems pretty much universal.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço