Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Evaluation Board - Brief Update December 18th — Parallax Forums

P2 Evaluation Board - Brief Update December 18th

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2018-12-18 19:38 in Propeller 2
Hey there,

Chip is really staying on task to get these boards shipped to you. Last night when I left Parallax he was still there with David, sorting out the process to test/characterize them. It's a process of programming the FTDI chip, checking the power supply voltages, and hopefully passing the boards. There's a RasPi doing much of the work. I see this getting accomplished if we can minimize demands on Chip elsewhere.

We have about 135 orders but probably around 100 boards (+/- depending on yield results). This means we'll need to make some decisions, which will largely be left to Chip. The priority seems to be tool developers and contributors to the design, sequence in which orders were placed, providing one instead of two (about eight people ordered two units), etc. This is what that big red text wall was about on the order page, so hopefully nobody gets too irate with us if your Chipmas doesn't happen.

A few photos are below.

Ken Gracey

IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG

Comments

• That’s still a lot of eval boards!
  • The good news is they both have smiles on their faces! :)
  • Fantastic! Thanks Ken, Chip, and Team!
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    I am not exactly forfeiting my spot, but I should be a low priority. Even a non functioning board would be of use to me.

• I just called sales and gave up my second eval board to free it up. The quantity had been sitting at 12-13 for a while, so I figured everyone that wanted one had ordered. Then quantity went to zero.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    The priority seems to be tool developers and contributors to the design, sequence in which orders were placed, providing one instead of two (about eight people ordered two units), etc.

All that makes sense, but I would suggest at least one test bench has 2 x P2's so the P2-P2 links/speeds can be fully tested.
    Maybe a P2D2 plus a P2 Eval can manage that ? (Which means you should keep a table of who has working P2D2's too ?)

• W9GFO wrote: »
    I am not exactly forfeiting my spot, but I should be a low priority.

Ditto

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    My order was one of the latter ones. If there's a shortage of boards...well you get the idea.
  • I'll forfeit my board. It''s better off in the hands of active tool makers and testers.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    I'm at Parallax, still, and I just finished testing all the P2 Eval boards. Here's the breakdown:

120 built
    2 with VonSzarvas (designed the PCB)
    1 with Ken
    1 with me
    2 with analog pin problems (ON Semi will cull these in the future)
    1 that sometimes resets after download, not sure why
    1 in rework that needs two tiny LDO's rotated
    112 good, shippable

Tomorrow these will start shipping out.
  • Thanks for putting in the long hours, Chip.
  • Santa Claus work hard to get the P2 under the 2018 christmas tree :smile:

Happy Chipmas
  • Great effort Chip! Very small bone pile by the sound of it too. Nice.
  • Woot! Good to hear so many worked!
  • Excellent! :cool:
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Great news :)
  • cgracey wrote: »
    I'm at Parallax, still, and I just finished testing all the P2 Eval boards. Here's the breakdown:

120 built
    1 with Ken
    1 with me
    112 good, shippable

Doesn't Jeff Martin need one?

• David Betz wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »

120 built
    1 with Ken
    1 with me
    112 good, shippable

Doesn't Jeff Martin need one?

Good call David.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2018-12-19 11:34
    BTW Chip, you are going to need to keep more than 1 (and I don't mean 2 either). If you find an unusual problem, you need to be able to quickly prove it's not the board or a faulty chip.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    Great news!
    It’s a chipmas miracle!
  • cgracey wrote: »

Are ALL the pins having the problem? if not, I could use one of those, to add to the count.
    Sometimes resets? I could put up with that.

Send me one of those instead if it means I or someone else won't fall off the list!

• Way to go Team Parallax !!!
    Merry Chipmas !!

J
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    R Baggett wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »

Are ALL the pins having the problem? if not, I could use one of those, to add to the count.
    Sometimes resets? I could put up with that.

Send me one of those instead if it means I or someone else won't fall off the list!

We are going to fix the board with the reset problem. I gave it a thorough washing and drying last night, and then reset was stuck at ground, so there's something wrong at the PCB/parts level.

The boards that have bad analog I/O pins are totally usable, excepting those certain pins that are bad.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    I'd be perfectly happy to have the other board with certain bad analog I/O pins.

135 - 112 = 23

I think there were 23 boards left when I ordered mine. Seems fitting. :)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    I'd definitely go for a second board if just a few pins are bad...
  • Indeed, Jeff Martin and the people inside Parallax have one, if needed.

Ken Gracey
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    So excited for every one of you! What an amazing product this will be.

I am waiting to play when it is "regularly" available. I'm overjoyed to let the experts play first.

Now - if it was an S4... The story would be very different - I'd probably drive to Rocklin to get one!
  • K2 wrote: »
    I'd be perfectly happy to have the other board with certain bad analog I/O pins.

135 - 112 = 23

I think there were 23 boards left when I ordered mine. Seems fitting. :)

Crumbs, I ordered number 11.

We'll see how it shakes out. "It ain't over 'till it's over"
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2018-12-20 12:57
    Hi,

So the yield in terms of silicon is 98.3%. That is good! And you had one board with a resistor shorted during soldering.

In my experience, boards with components shorted are frequent when I'm soldering them. Only yesterday, I came across with one that had a short to ground across a capacitor somewhere, just after the LDO. It was just a whisker, and it was solved by letting an hefty amount of current pass (had to supply 3,3V using an external power supply for that). Happens a lot with solder paste.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • It's looking more like a New Years Evolution then a Merry Chipmas.

Hopefully not Year End Closeout.

Mike