Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking For a “Better” Version of ESP 8266 -> Looking for ESP32 info — Parallax Forums

Looking For a “Better” Version of ESP 8266 -> Looking for ESP32 info

AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
edited 2018-12-18 19:19 in Accessories
I have been reading over several threads regarding Parallax’s ESP8266 WiFi board, and I am looking to find a bigger, badder WiFi module.

Requirements:
-MUST be ESP. I like them.
-Must be capable of having firmware modified easily, via either serial or WiFi.
-Must have a large RAM, 32kb whereabouts.
-Must support https/www.

I would like to have a quick learning curve, and to be able to find an IDE to flash modified firmware. If the Parallax firmware from the 8266 could be used, bonus. Big bonus.

Comments

• What about the ESP32? It has 520K of RAM.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    What about the ESP32? It has 520K of RAM.

What he said.

I believe I have a developers module here originally made by Adafruit. And naturally I've not had a chance to do anything with it. As for the basic ESP8266 widget, I've been trying to figure out how to make the ones I have here to do something with them.

They do sell the same modules that the Parallax one is wearing, you are also free to snag one or two or three, and attempt to work out what's what, and who's who with the thing, and make that one work for you.
    ----
    And this message is being sponsored by the Astromech droids for better starfighter pilots union.
  • I’ll have a look at the ESP32. You guys said it comes in an identical package that the Parallax module wears?
  • Research yields multiple versions. Which one is most powerful?
  • rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 449
    edited 2018-12-18 13:58
    I’ll have a look at the ESP32. You guys said it comes in an identical package that the Parallax module wears?
    AFAIK there is no ESP32 module that is pin compatible with a ESP8266 module. Look here for differences:
    https://github.com/watterott/ESP-WROOM-Breakout (parallax seems to use the esp-wroom-02 module).

Software wise you should be able to get the same code to compile for esp32 and esp8266. Not sure for the parallax code, @"David Betz" might know more here.
    Research yields multiple versions. Which one is most powerful?
    Define most powerful? Most ESP32 modules are based on the esp-wroom-32, so will be very similar. See here for a small overview of available modules:
    https://makeradvisor.com/esp32-development-boards-review-comparison/
  • One core, two core, etc. checking out your links now.
  • Gotcha. ESP32 it is.
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2018-12-18 19:22
    Have updated thread title, now looking for firmware, tutorials, etc with ESP32 in mind.
    Thanks @rosco_pc, @"David Betz", and @"Buck Rogers"!
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2018-12-18 19:35
    Much work has been done with the esp8266 by parallax,
    But with the dated open-esp-sdk that is in use....

It would be ideal to target the esp32 for the official wireless chip and board for programming the p2.
    This would get a more secure sdk in use.

Tons of work involved in that though.
    Updating of all parallax code to new versions, I.e. the P2 era of tools, compiler versions, etc..

I think the esp32 SHOULD definitely be at the top of the list for tools to develop for/with the p2.
    Much of the esp8266 was built on lots of work done by many others. (people not related to parallax that made open source git code)

So getting to that point again with the esp32, running parallax firmware, is another mountain, if you want to use all the latest firmware/code/esp sdk.
  • Maybe Parallax could make a board for the ESP32, something like the Adafruit Feather.
  • (Let Chip finish with the P2 Eval shipments first, Ken posted that he needs not to be distracted!)
  • Maybe Parallax could make a board for the ESP32, something like the Adafruit Feather.

Well my development board evolved into that one. Besides my biggest problem is that of trying to figure out how to work on the next steps of my next system,

---
    And this message is sponsored by the Anarchists for a freer society bowling league.
  • These guys have made good progress since the thread started:

Use the free B4R to develop ESP32 firmware.

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/initial-support-for-esp32.75002/
  • Confuses me. What exactly is B4R?

Take a look at the site. Let's just say its almost an improvement over the methods for the ESP8266 and the ESP32 via the software from that site six doors down.

I'm probably going to snag a couple of ESP32 boards from Sparkfun, and also some of their ESP8266 ones.

---
    And this message is sponsored by the union of bored Tusken Raiders.

It's one of a suite of tools from the "B4X" group.

B4R is Basic for Arduino. Write the code in a very powerful modern Basic and it churns out C code for Arduino or the ESP devices (and NodeMCU). I plan to use it for my ESP32 stuff because I don't want to use Python and the last time I checked, the Python guys still hadn't gotten BT working on the ESP32.

• So is B4R an IDE?
  • Multi-platform environment;

You can write for Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, Linux, Arduino...etc.

The common syntax is a modern Basic. I've used it for almost 7 years for developing Android code instead of Java. It ends up compiling to Java so there is little to no performance hit. And you can avoid Eclipse, totally :smile:
  • So, does B4R run on Windows 10?
  • Please don’t start any ranting about Windows vs Mac vs Ubuntu vs Linux. ESP32 only.
  • Yes. Pay very close attention to the installation process re Arduino IDE, etc. Do not try to use the current beta ESP8266 Arduino library - off the top of my head I think the last stable is 2.4.2. B4R works as advertised on both Win 10 Pro and Linux 18.0.4LTS in my short several month experience with it. There is a healthy forum that is quite helpful and their search function works well.

Mike R.
  • Thanks! Any links as to the download location?
  • Google is your friend! "b4r" shows a veritable plethora of material. :-)
  • How is Arduino IDE involved?
  • Yup, you need the Arduino IDE.
    B4R = "Basic for Arduino".

https://www.b4x.com/b4r.html
  • Well loop-tee-doo.
    I was hoping to avoid Arduino.
  • If you set up the install as they direct you don't have to interact with the Arduino IDE at all. It's not all that bad an environment and the devs and forum members are very, very helpful.