Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Zero Ohm resistor on 3.3V output — Parallax Forums

Zero Ohm resistor on 3.3V output

I am working on a new Propeller board schematic and learning along the way. I am using examples from the Quickstart Board for the voltage regulator part of the circuit.

I am trying to understand it as a go. I am not sure what the purpose of the resistor R16 in this clipping from the QuickStart schematic.
QS_schematic.png
Can someone educate me?
Thanks!
Paul

Comments

• Those same pads likely had a 0.1 ohm resistor at some stage to measure current. Once all the design is complete, and you don't need to measure any more, just fill it with 0 ohm resistors for production.

BTW I once had a 0 ohm resistor... that was actually open circuit. It made my day. I kept it somewhere...
  • It's not really acting as a resistor. I believe the "LP" stands for "low power" and 3.3V_LP provides power for those portions of the Quickstart board that need to function in a low power mode, perhaps running off a "back-up" battery. In that case, you'd remove the R16 jumper and perhaps substitute a Shottky diode so you could remove power to the USB interface, Vin, and 3.3V areas leaving just the Propeller chip and EEPROM with power.
  • Thanks! No need for it then. I'll just leave it out.