Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Latest version of PNut? — Parallax Forums

Latest version of PNut?

My current copy of PNut.exe is from over five years ago. Where can I find the latest version?

Comments

• You may not want the absolute newest version of PNut because that might be for the Rev B silicon. You need the version that corresponds to the Rev A silicon unless you're using an FPGA image for Rev B.

I'd also like to know where the FPGA image is that matches the Rev A silicon. Is it the most recent image in the FPGA thread? It should probably be marked to indicate that it matches Rev A before more updates are posted for Rev B.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    David Betz wrote: »
    You may not want the absolute newest version of PNut because that might be for the Rev B silicon. You need the version that corresponds to the Rev A silicon unless you're using an FPGA image for Rev B.

I'd also like to know where the FPGA image is that matches the Rev A silicon. Is it the most recent image in the FPGA thread? It should probably be marked to indicate that it matches Rev A before more updates are posted for Rev B.

No Rev B FPGA has been released, and I'd expect that to be clearly marked.

Any assembler needs to be able to generate both Rev A and Rev B binaries, there was talk of a variant switch in pnut, but I think in the end it managed to be (mostly?) super-set compatible ?

There were I think 2 new opcodes, for Chip's new scope ADC modes, so maybe a variant switch would help those generate errors on rev A ?

Likewise for any expanded opcodes, any Rev A miss-use should generate an error (in case someone pastes in Rev B ASM )
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2018-12-03 21:19
    The latest version of PNut is in the zipfile at https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/162298/prop2-fpga-files-updated-2-june-2018-final-version-32i/p1 . This is version 32i, and was posted in June before all the Rev B stuff was discussed. The previous zipfile contains version 32b, which is the one I use. I never updated to 32i, and I'm not sure why 32c through 32h were skipped.
  • I think 32c through 32h were iterations of the ROM that Peter and Cluso were working on

32i is the current one
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    32i matches final silicon and extended the support for more labels - a problem we ran into when compiling v32i ROM code.
  • Instead of PNut you could also use Dave Hein's p2asm or my fastspin. Both are designed to have a simple command line interface for easier integration with external tools (like IDEs).