Ebay China Mecanum Wheel

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

  • 19 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 493
    edited November 7 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The Honda tech writer must have moved to China!
  • Haha, nice find. Have you used anything like that? I feel it would get hung up a lot on anything but a smooth surface.
  • pmrobert wrote: »
    The Honda tech writer must have moved to China!

    LOL, brings back memories of setting up PC clone boards from a chinglish instruction sheet.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,205
    edited November 8 Vote Up0Vote Down
    On the first page of the repair manual for my Yamaha back in 1975 it advised that:

    "Repair of Yamaha motorcycle require great piece of mind".

    Advice that has held me in good stead for tackling any job since.

    I suspect it's where Robert M. Pirsig got his inspiration from !


  • Heater. wrote: »
    On the first page of the repair manual for my Yamaha back in 1975 it advised that:

    "Repair of Yamaha motorcycle require great piece of mind".

    Advice that has held me in good staid for tackling any job since.

    I suspect it's where Robert M. Pirsig got his inspiration from !


    Once more a post on this forum has caused me to go to Google Search. Surprising how often that happens. I did purchase and read the book in the late 70's, but by that time my motorcycling days had been over for a number of years. Not a practical means of year round transportation where I live. Miss it at times though.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • Pirsig's book is not actually about motorcycle maintenance. Which was a disappointment because I was much into motorcycles at the time. Not sure it's even about Zen much. Also a disappointment.

    It was hugely famous back then so I tried reading it. Didn't get the idea and gave up half way through. Seemed like some ramblings of a lunatic.

    Perhaps I should try again.

  • Heater. wrote: »
    Pirsig's book is not actually about motorcycle maintenance. Which was a disappointment because I was much into motorcycles at the time. Not sure it's even about Zen much. Also a disappointment.

    It was hugely famous back then so I tried reading it. Didn't get the idea and gave up half way through. Seemed like some ramblings of a lunatic.

    Perhaps I should try again.

    The book title and the fact that I bought and read it is the only thing I can recall now so I guess I didn't get any great insights or inspirations from it either. Probably wondered what all the fuss over the book was at the time.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • Pardon me, but what is a “mecanum wheel”?
    The greatest thing about logic is that, once you have followed the thought train, it is then your own.
  • Pardon me, but what is a “mecanum wheel”?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel
    Infernal Machine
  • The mecanum wheel is an improved version of the omni wheel, which was invented by Josef Blumrich in the course of interpreting the Biblical book of Ezekiel as an encounter with a spacecraft, one equipped with wheels that could move in any direction. And the omni wheel was featured as the tail dragger wheel on one other than the Parallax Stingray differentially steered robot.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 3,820
    edited November 9 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Pardon me, but what is a “mecanum wheel”?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_x0RgVzfc

  • xanadu wrote: »
    Haha, nice find. Have you used anything like that? I feel it would get hung up a lot on anything but a smooth surface.

    Very true. I see a lot of "ball casters" used on robots large and small. But as our good forum friend and author the late Gordon McComb pointed out numerous times, these are designed to run upright, per the image. Only in this orientation (borientation, Toby) do the small internal balls actually roll and recirculate. When you invert it to use as a caster, all the balls fall away and there's massive internal friction and often the big ball just skids along instead of rolling. For many surfaces, you might as just glue or weld the big steel ball on and let it slide, essentially a larger radius version of this cap nut "mecanum wheel".

    ballcaster.png
    600 x 600 - 56K
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

    - Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »
    Very true. I see a lot of "ball casters" used on robots large and small. But as our good forum friend and author the late Gordon McComb pointed out numerous times, these are designed to run upright, per the image. Only in this orientation (borientation, Toby) do the small internal balls actually roll and recirculate. When you invert it to use as a caster, all the balls fall away and there's massive internal friction and often the big ball just skids along instead of rolling. For many surfaces, you might as just glue or weld the big steel ball on and let it slide, essentially a larger radius version of this cap nut "mecanum wheel".

    @erco - you could always just run the robot on the ceiling.

    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • @erco - When you say gaster nut, I assume you are talking about the same thing as a crown nut or acorn nut - is that correct? What they call a "Mecanum Wheel" is really just a skid, right?
    321 x 125 - 30K
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • But the way, if we are going with a traditional erco all wood bot, you could just glue on a real nut.
    600 x 433 - 83K
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Whit wrote: »
    But the way, if we are going with a traditional erco all wood bot, you could just glue on a real nut.

    Brilliant, Parallax could sell Walnuts, not Hazelnuts. All made in the US of A.

    The Parallax mecanum Walnut caster. @Ken Gracey a new venture on the horizon...

    Mike

    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • YES! My VEX robot for school uses these! my classmates give me crap because VEX makes an octagonal Holonomic Robot Kit using these "Mechanomic" wheels.
    The greatest thing about logic is that, once you have followed the thought train, it is then your own.
  • @erco Yes. The 'half ping pong ball' method worked better than the inverted metal ball casters as well. I have a box of 100 ping pong balls. That means I own 200 Mechanum wheels haha.
  • Erco,

    Have you see Dave Jones' video on the "Mad" 1 cent regulators?
Sign In or Register to comment.