Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trouble installing SimpleIDE: "GCC Compiler not found" — Parallax Forums

Trouble installing SimpleIDE: "GCC Compiler not found"

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
edited 2018-11-17 21:43 in General Discussion

I have downloaded and run Simple-IDE_1-1-0_MacOS.pkg following the instructions here; http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/propeller-c-set-simpleide/mac

After restart I get the message "GCC Compiler not found", then "Please select propeller load folder in the Properties dialog".

I have searched my computer for GCC and it is nowhere to be found.

Without being able to select the GCC compiler path, SimpleIDE is not usable.

Maybe not relevant but according to the instructions SimpleIDE should be installed in Users -> Your_Username -> Applications. But it does not appear there, instead it gets installed in Macintosh HD -> Applications.

Comments

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2018-11-17 23:11
    If you type gcc at your terminal, does it do anything?
    If its needed for simple ide on mac you'd think they would instruct you to install gcc first...
    As for installing the gcc compiler....
    https://www.mkyong.com/mac/how-to-install-gcc-compiler-on-mac-os-x/

And it looks like you also need a copy of proploader --> https://github.com/parallaxinc/PropLoader/releases/download/v1.0-37/proploader-mac.zip
    ... why its talking about the depreciated version ---propeller-load... kinda odd...
    Download the latest proploader extract it, and point simpleide to it.

I thought all these files were included with the simpleide package, and you mentioned that the package installed into the wrong place, might explain why the gcc and propeller-load cannot be found either.. I wonder if its as simple as finding where simplie ide is installed, and look for a folder that has the proploader and propellergccelf file. And if its there, the folder probably just needs to be added to your paths.

I do not know why the installer didn't do the install properly, but it seems that is what happened to you.

Try installing the gcc package from the link above..., but that might not work, because i think its looking for the propeller-gcc-elf file, which is normally
    installed with the simpleide installer...?

It seems the paths for simple ide and registering proper paths into your mac environment, isn't happening for you.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    This is what happens when I type GCC into Terminal;
    Last login: Sat Nov 17 15:01:37 on console
    iMac:~ rich$ gcc
    xcode-select: note: no developer tools were found at '/Applications/Xcode.app', requesting install. Choose an option in the dialog to download the command line developer tools.
    iMac:~ rich$

I've tried searching for GCC and other files names associated with it but come up with nothing. I am confident that it is nowhere to be found on this computer. I think I will create a new login and see if it installs correctly there.
  • W9GFO wrote: »
    This is what happens when I type GCC into Terminal;
    Last login: Sat Nov 17 15:01:37 on console
    iMac:~ rich$ gcc
    xcode-select: note: no developer tools were found at '/Applications/Xcode.app', requesting install. Choose an option in the dialog to download the command line developer tools.
    iMac:~ rich$

I've tried searching for GCC and other files names associated with it but come up with nothing. I am confident that it is nowhere to be found on this computer.
    No doubt, it shouldn't normally be needed.
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I think I will create a new login and see if it installs correctly there.
    That seems to be the issue, really whacked install locations.
    That sounds like a better solution than installing gcc, since you aren't actually tying to compile simple ide, you don't need it, as I understand it.
    edited 2018-11-18 00:51
    No errors when installed on a new account, still put it in Macintosh HD -> Applications instead of where the web page says it should go, maybe somebody should update that.

Now when I open it under my main user account I am able to tell it where to find propeller-elf-gcc, It seems to be working now.
  • The SimpleIDE application installation package installs SimpleIDE.app into your /Applications directory just like all other application installations.

The gcc compiler for propeller is located via the above installation, within the SimpleIDE.app bundle at: "/Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/propeller-gcc/bin"... Here's a listing of the bin directory where the propeller compiler toolset is located within the app (on macOS):
    $ ls /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/propeller-gcc/bin
    propeller-elf-as        propeller-elf-gcov
    propeller-elf-ranlib    propeller-elf-c++
    propeller-elf-gdb       propeller-elf-readelf
    propeller-elf-c++filt   propeller-elf-gprof
    propeller-elf-size      ctags
    propeller-elf-cpp       propeller-elf-ld
    propeller-elf-strings   gdbstub
    propeller-elf-elfedit   propeller-elf-ld.bfd
    propeller-elf-strip     openspin
    propeller-elf-g++       propeller-elf-nm
    propeller-load          propeller-elf-addr2line
    propeller-elf-gcc       propeller-elf-objcopy
    propeller-elf-ar        propeller-elf-gcc-4.6.1
    propeller-elf-objdump

SimpleIDE will use the proper propeller compiler dependent on your project (C, C++, etc...) from the above toolset.
    Typing 'gcc' on the command line (EX: in the Terminal app) on macOS will execute the Mac's own GCC compiler, if installed. That compiler will compile code for macOS programs and applications, not propeller code...

Note: propeller-load is also located within that bin directory.

dgately
    dgately wrote: »
    The SimpleIDE application installation package installs SimpleIDE.app into your /Applications directory just like all other application installations.
    Yes, it does, however the setup instructions say "Run SimpleIDE from the Launchpad, or from Users -> Your_Username -> Applications."

• W9GFO wrote: »
    dgately wrote: »
    The SimpleIDE application installation package installs SimpleIDE.app into your /Applications directory just like all other application installations.
    Yes, it does, however the setup instructions say "Run SimpleIDE from the Launchpad, or from Users -> Your_Username -> Applications."
    Well, the instructions are "half-true" as you can launch the app from the Launchpad...

dgately