Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem Loading program with Simple IDE — Parallax Forums

Problem Loading program with Simple IDE

Bobby1066Bobby1066 Posts: 34
edited 2018-11-16 08:55 in Propeller 1
Hi I don't know what is wrong.

Have hard wired a DIL prop on a bread board with 10MHz Crystal.

Propeller IDE Complies, Loads and runs Program OK.

Simple IDE Compiles then fails to load.

Both work on Quickstart board with 5MHz crystal.

Have tried using Hydra board type.
Have tried creating my own cfg file and editing the boards.txt file.

Still no joy.

Have triple checked my board wiring. (But shouldn't be an issue as loads and runs with Propeller IDE).

Driving me mad.

Any help grateful.

Thank you

Comments

• Are you selecting the correct Com port in SimpleIde?
  • Yes defiantly correct com port.
  • The proploader program uses a two-stage loader. It might be that the second stage loader is not using the correct clock settings. The board type setting is supposed to fix that but there could be a bug. I'll try to look at this over the weekend. I have a Hydra.
  • Simple IDE sets certain parameters based on the board that is being used. You select the board in the Project Manager window. I believe that the clock settings are included, and all the standard board selections are for 5MHz crystals.

I am not at a computer that has SimpleIDE on it so I can't tell you what file needs to be edited. (You can add a new set of board parameters to that file). I don't recall how I found out about it, but I think that the SimpleIDE instruction manual may have that info.

Can you change to a 5MHz crystal just to confirm that everything else with your board works? If it does then try to add a board with a10 MHz crystal to the board file.

Hope this helps
    Tom
  • I have already added a board to board profile to allow 80Mz clock and PLL8x.

also the Hydra uses a 10MHz crystal tried this also.

As already stated board works when using Propeller IDE to load program. (SPIN & PASM IDE)

by the way program being loaded is C and loading PASM into separate COG

Bob
  • Thanks David

It appeared to be a loader problem to me also but as a newbie to this wasn't sure.
    Next thought was to use loader in command line.
    Compiled C program running PASM in another cog.
    But wouldn't load

Will continue playing
    Waiting in anticipation for your reply.

Bob
  • Bobby1066 wrote: »
    Thanks David

It appeared to be a loader problem to me also but as a newbie to this wasn't sure.
    Next thought was to use loader in command line.
    Compiled C program running PASM in another cog.
    But wouldn't load

Will continue playing
    Waiting in anticipation for your reply.

Bob
    We should probably have an option to bypass the second-stage loader. That way the crystal frequency wouldn't matter like it doesn't matter for the PropTool. The tradeoff would be slower loading though.

• Just guesses here --
    In your board cfg file is the baud set to 115200?
    Can you load a C program that does not load PASM into a cog?
    Can you post your code?

Tom
  • Bobby1066Bobby1066 Posts: 34
    edited 2018-11-16 21:28
    Compiled and tried to load "Hello message.c"

Error returned.

proploader.exe -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b activityboard -p COM3 cmm/Hello Message.elf
    Opening file 'cmm/Hello Message.elf'
    ERROR: Download failed: -1

Copy of bob.cfg

# bob.cfg
    clkfreq: 80000000
    clkmode: XTAL1+PLL8X
    baudrate: 115200
    rxpin: 31
    txpin: 30
    tvpin: 12 # only used if TV_DEBUG is defined
    cache-driver: eeprom_cache.dat
    cache-size: 8K
    cache-param1: 0
    cache-param2: 0
    eeprom-first: TRUE

Both TX and RX LEDs strobe

Bob

PS on a steep learning curve

Must re-iterate all programs tried appear to work OK with Quickstart board with 5Mhz crystal
    No problem when SPIN programs loaded via PropellerIDE. if clock PLL set incorrect loads but don't run. As expected

By inference Simple IDE should load it even if clock settings are wrong but likewise it should fail to run.

• In the proploader.exe command string below the -b option is showing "activityboard" I think it should be -b bob. In the project options the "board type" drop down menu should show bob as one of the available board types. Select that one.

proploader.exe -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b activityboard -p COM3 cmm/Hello Message.elf
  • I tried using the latest version of proploader to load code into my Hydra and the load worked after backing down to 115200 baud but I don't think it it set the clock speed of the program correctly after loading because the program's serial I/O didn't work. I'll have to check the proploader sources to see if it uses the config file clock settings to patch the program being loaded. In any case, Parallax tells me that they may not have included the most recent proploader executable with SimpleIDE so you might try updating proploader to see if it is better at loading your program. It tries to use a high baud rate at first but backs down to a lower rate if the board can't handle the high rate. I don't think the backdown code was in the older version.
  • Also, I used the hydra.cfg file:
    # hydra.cfg

clkfreq: 80000000
    clkmode: XTAL1+PLL8X
    rxpin: 31
    txpin: 30
    tvpin: 12   # only used if TV_DEBUG is defined

# cache geometry - 128 * 64 = 8192 byte cache
    index-width: 7      # 2^7 = 128 cache lines
    offset-width: 6     # 2^6 = 64 byte cache lines

cache-geometry: ({index-width} << 8) | {offset-width}
    xmem-driver: eeprom_xmem.dat
    eeprom-first: TRUE

The lines relating to the cache will be ignored since proploader doesn't support XMM loading.
    edited 2018-11-17 16:47
    Have given this much thought and read the manual.
    It would appear if I am correct that the loading of the program into the prop is unaffected by any of the settings in the cfg file or
    baud rate settings.

The prop uses its internal clock and has an internally set communication protocol. So the code should load whatever. The coded configuration only becomes active after the prop has restarted after down load. It is not affected by crystal frequency.

If this is correct then it is definitely a loader problem.
    The oddity is that the ready made "Quickstart" board I have loads and runs fine but the
    hard wired DIL prop on a bread board I have wired as per prop Tutorial fails to load from "SimpleIDE" regardless of the code downloaded. (Spin, Pasm, C)

Spin and Pasm load ok from "Propeller IDE".

Thought I would clarify the problem as I see it.

Thank you for all your input.

Bob

• I'm looking at the code and what you say is true about the loader not paying attention to the config clock settings when loading. Currently, the config settings are only used when you write files to an attached SD card. I'm going to change the loader to read the clock settings from the program being loaded and use those for the second-stage loader as well. That should fix this problem. Are you using SimpleIDE for Windows, Mac, or Linux?
    edited 2018-11-17 18:15
    For windows.

But looking at the error messages that I received.

Are these for both 1st and 2nd stage loaders.
    or does it do a retry on failure?

Bob

Just realised why you would need a 2 stage loader,
    1t stage to set up the comms to fastest available. 2nd stage to do the actual download thus getting the fastest download speed.

Just a guess but is this what is going on?

Am new to C but am looking at the loader code to try to understand for myself what is happening.

What is bugging me is why does it work ok on the surface mount prop on a board made by propeller but not on the DIL prop on a breadboard,
  • maccamacca Posts: 705
    edited 2018-11-17 18:24
    It would appear if I am correct that the loading of the program into the prop is unaffected by any of the settings in the cfg file or
    baud rate settings.

The configuration files doesn't list all possibile settings, PropLoader uses some additional baud rate settings for the various stage loaders. Try adding these lines to your board configuration file to set all possibile baud rates to 115200.
    loader-baud-rate: 115200
    fast-loader-baud-rate: 115200
    program-baud-rate: 115200

The only relevant setting however seems fast-loader-baud-rate that is set to 921600 by default.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Marco.
  • I realize that the loader may not be using the crystal frequency, but since it works with the QS board and not with your board why not just try loading with the board option set to "bob"?

At least that way you at least could show the output from the loader with the -b bob option.

A question for David --
    While the "bob" board works with Spin, and doesn't with Simple IDE, is there a loading speed difference between the Spin IDEs and Simple IDE that would be affected by breadboard connections vice a PCB?
  • twm47099 wrote: »
    I realize that the loader may not be using the crystal frequency, but since it works with the QS board and not with your board why not just try loading with the board option set to "bob"?

At least that way you at least could show the output from the loader with the -b bob option.

A question for David --
    While the "bob" board works with Spin, and doesn't with Simple IDE, is there a loading speed difference between the Spin IDEs and Simple IDE that would be affected by breadboard connections vice a PCB?
    PropellerIDE uses a completely different loader that only uses the ROM protocol and doesn't attempt fast loading at all. This is true of the Prop Tool as well. Parallax wanted to go to the fast loader when we created proploader to do both serial and wi-fi loading. They also removed XMM support at the same time.

• Bobby1066 wrote: »
    Just realised why you would need a 2 stage loader,
    1t stage to set up the comms to fastest available. 2nd stage to do the actual download thus getting the fastest download speed.

Just a guess but is this what is going on?
    Yes, that is what is happening. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to look at proploader yet this weekend. Some other "home improvement" projects got in the way. I'll try to get to it soon though and I can post a Windows executable if that will help.
  • I got proploader modified to get its clock settings from the binary file being loaded but I'm waiting for word from Parallax about which approach they'd like to officially support. Once I get that information I'll post a Windows binary here so you can try it to see if it fixes the problem you've been having. Sorry for the delay!
  • Thanks for the input Marco

Tried

loader-baud-rate: 115200
    fast-loader-baud-rate: 115200
    program-baud-rate: 115200

Without Success.

• Hi David

Thanks for your efforts
    David Betz wrote: »
    I got proploader modified to get its clock settings from the binary file being loaded but I'm waiting for word from Parallax about which approach they'd like to officially support. Once I get that information I'll post a Windows binary here so you can try it to see if it fixes the problem you've been having. Sorry for the delay!

Have ordered some 5MHz crystals. But am convinced they will work without problem.

This is only a hobby project so timescale is not an issue.

Just nice to have some assistance getting it sorted.

Bob
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2018-11-19 22:45
    Please try this version of proploader.exe and let me know if it helps with the problem you were having loading a board with a 10mhz crystal. This works with my Hydra board so I'm hoping it will work for you as well. You can just use it to replace the version of proploader.exe that came with your install of SimpleIDE. You don't need to use a config file. This should get its clock settings from the binary you are loading.
  • Hi David

Thanks for the file have installed in place of the default loader

ie. switched propeller-load.exe with the file you sent me. Hope that is correct.
    and receive the following error messages.

C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2018-10-23

propeller-elf-gcc.exe -v GCC 4.6.1 (propellergcc_v1_0_0_2408)
    openspin.exe -c -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/spin/ -o lmm/Pulse1Hz.dat Pulse1Hz.spin
    Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'OpenSpin' (c)2012-2016 Parallax Inc. DBA Parallax Semiconductor.
    Version 1.00.78 Compiled on May 28 2016 12:06:45
    Compiling...
    Pulse1Hz.spin
    Done.
    Program size is 44 bytes
    propeller-elf-objcopy -I binary -B propeller -O propeller-elf-gcc --redefine-sym _binary_lmm_Pulse1Hz_dat_start=_binary_Pulse1Hz_dat_start --redefine-sym _binary_lmm_Pulse1Hz_dat_end=_binary_Pulse1Hz_dat_end --redefine-sym _binary_lmm_Pulse1Hz_dat_size=_binary_Pulse1Hz_dat_size lmm/Pulse1Hz.dat lmm/Pulse1Hz_firmware.o
    propeller-elf-gcc.exe -I . -L . -I C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/lmm/ -I C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/lmm/ -I C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/lmm/ -o lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf -Os -mlmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions lmm/Pulse1Hz_firmware.o BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
    propeller-load -s lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf
    Opening file 'lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf'
    Stepping down to 460800 baud
    Stepping down to 230400 baud
    Stepping down to 115200 baud
    Using single-stage downloadDownloading file to port COM3
    24812 bytes sent

Verifying RAM
    Download successful!
    propeller-elf-objdump -h lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf
    Done. Build Succeeded!

proploader.exe -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b bob -p COM3 lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf

I now have some 5MHz crystals and swapped the 10 for a 5 and the download was successful so board wiring Ok.

SimpleIDE Version 1.1.2
    C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/

openspin.exe -c -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/spin/ -o lmm/Pulse1Hz.dat Pulse1Hz.spin
    Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'OpenSpin' (c)2012-2016 Parallax Inc. DBA Parallax Semiconductor.
    Compiling...
    Pulse1Hz.spin
    Done.
    Program size is 44 bytes
    propeller-elf-objcopy -I binary -B propeller -O propeller-elf-gcc --redefine-sym _binary_lmm_Pulse1Hz_dat_start=_binary_Pulse1Hz_dat_start --redefine-sym _binary_lmm_Pulse1Hz_dat_end=_binary_Pulse1Hz_dat_end --redefine-sym _binary_lmm_Pulse1Hz_dat_size=_binary_Pulse1Hz_dat_size lmm/Pulse1Hz.dat lmm/Pulse1Hz_firmware.o
    propeller-elf-gcc.exe -I . -L . -I C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/lmm/ -I C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/lmm/ -I C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L C:/Users/Bobby/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/lmm/ -o lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf -Os -mlmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions lmm/Pulse1Hz_firmware.o BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
    Opening file 'lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf'Downloading file to port COM3
    236 bytes remaining 24812 bytes sent

Verifying RAM
    Download successful!
    Done. Build Succeeded!

proploader.exe -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b bob -p COM3 lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf

Opening file 'lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf'Downloading file to port COM3
    24812 bytes sent

Verifying RAM
    Download successful!

Bob
  • I intended you to replace the copy of proploader.exe in your SimpleIDE installation with the one I posted. The proploader and propeller-load programs have different command line parameters so just renaming proploader.exe to propeller-load.exe probably won't work. In any case, I guess this solution isn't going to work for you anyway. What I did was make proploader.exe use the clock parameters from the binary file it is trying to load. However, all programs built by SimpleIDE always assume a 5mhz crystal and clock mode XTAL1+PLL16X. That is why your load is failing. I'm talking to Parallax about the best way to solve this problem. It works with the old propeller-load.exe because that version uses the configuration file parameters in place of what is in the binary file. Parallax doesn't want to do that anymore so I think we need to provide a way to set the clock settings in the C source itself so the binary file has the correct settings. I'll post back here once I get an answer from Parallax on how this should be resolved. Thanks for taking the time to test.
    edited 2018-11-20 15:49
    Hi David

Swapped loader to location you wanted.

Downloads ok but doesn't run.

Project Directory: K:/Bob Project/19-11-2018/

SimpleIDE Version 1.1.2

Compiling...
    Pulse1Hz.spin
    Done.
    Program size is 44 bytes
    Done. Build Succeeded!

Using single-stage downloadDownloading file to port COM3
    24812 bytes sent

Verifying RAM
    Download successful!

Like you say I think its assuming a 5MHz clock

Thanks for the help.

Please keep me posted.

Bob

PS What about another Project Manager tab alongside the compiler and linker.
  • FYI, if you put this code at the start of your C file outside of any functions it will create a binary with PLL8X clock setting for a 10mhz crystal. Then your program should load with the new version of proploader.exe.
    #define RCFAST      0x00
    #define RCSLOW      0x01
    #define XINPUT      0x22
    #define XTAL1       0x2a
    #define XTAL2       0x32
    #define XTAL3       0x3a
    #define PLL1X       0x41
    #define PLL2X       0x42
    #define PLL4X       0x43
    #define PLL8X       0x44
    #define PLL16X      0x45

#define stringize_(x) #x
    #define string_(x) stringize_(x)

#define INITIAL_CLKMODE(x)			            \
    __asm__ ( ".global __clkmodeval\n\t"			\
    	      "__clkmodeval = " string_(x) ";");

INITIAL_CLKMODE(XTAL1+PLL8X)

• Thanks David

Worked 1st Time

Brill

Bob
  • Spoke to soon.

Works ok loading to RAM but when loading to EEPROM the following error occurs.

Project Directory: K:/Bob Project/19-11-2018/

SimpleIDE Version 1.1.2

Compiling...
    Pulse1Hz.spin
    Done.
    Program size is 44 bytes
    Done. Build Succeeded!

proploader.exe -e -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b bob -p COM3 lmm/BeatTimeInC_FullyWorking_01-11-2018_08_00 (1).elf

24812 bytes sent
    Verifying RAM
    Programming EEPROM
    ERROR: EEPROM checksum failed
    ERROR: Download failed
    24812 bytes sent

Verifying RAM
    Programming EEPROM
    ERROR: EEPROM checksum failed
    ERROR: Download failed

Bob
  • Hmmm... I hadn't tried EEPROM programming with the alternate clock settings. I'll try it later.