DHB-10 Motor Controller

Greetings,
I am anxiously assembling my new Arlo robot and am up to the part where I am checking the DHB-10 motor controller. SO here's what's NOT happening:
1) The indicator light on the DHB-10 is NOT blinking
2) When I run the supplied test program (Arlo - Test Activity Board and DHb-10 Communications), the output "Program running..." is seen on the serial monitor
but nothing more.

I have checked the wiring (per the instructions) and putting a meter on the terminal blocks indicates I am getting full power to the board.
Suggestions?
Thanks.
-Bill

Comments

  • 30 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Are you still having trouble?

    If you are, I'll fish my DHB-10 out of a box and compare notes with you.
    sverdlik wrote: »
    I have checked the wiring (per the instructions) and putting a meter on the terminal blocks indicates I am getting full power to the board.

    I have some Arlo hardware myself but I haven't used the DHB-10 with it yet. If you're still having trouble, I'll wire up my DHB-10 to my Arlo hardware and see if I can replicate your difficulty.

    I haven't looked at the Activity Board's test program yet. I wanted to make sure you're still having trouble before wiring things up.

    How are you communicating with the Activity Board? Do you have a PC on the Arlo?

  • I am currently having this problem. Was a solution found?
  • Hello there,
    I am also having the same problem can anyone post any reply of this damn issue. I am stuck :(
  • Could you attach pictures of your setup, and try describing the issue from your viewpoint? Should help us understand and offer suggestions.

  • vaibhavdavevaibhavdave Posts: 3
    edited October 15 Vote Up1Vote Down
    I am attaching the Pics of the setup, please look in to it.As you can see there is no LED glowing in DHB-10. Also elaborate if possible the connections between DHB10 and Propeller board.
    We connected as follows :-
    P12(Gnd)->CH1(B), P12(5V)->CH1(R), P12(PWM)->CH1(W),
    P13(Gnd)->CH2(B), P13(5V)->CH2(R), P13(PWM)->CH2(W),)
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,474
    edited October 15 Vote Up1Vote Down
    It looks like the power switch on the Activity Board is in Position 1. What happens if you put it to Position 2? That supplies power to the Servo Headers.
    Infernal Machine
  • EdSeymore wrote: »
    I am currently having this problem. Was a solution found?

    We will never know. The OP never responded.
    Infernal Machine
  • Publison wrote: »
    It looks like the power switch on the Activity Board is in Position 1. What happens if you put it to Position 2? That supplies power to the Servo Headers.

    No improvement with power switch on Activity Board in Position 2
  • Yes, problem occurs with both power switches in the on position and voltage measured as 12v on the DHB-10 power input connectors.
  • Also, the Propeller Activity Board WX is powered on and seems to be working for all other functions tried.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,474
    edited October 15 Vote Up1Vote Down
    EdSeymore wrote: »

    My ARLO is in another building that I will not get to it until Tuesday afternoon. I will set it up then.

    In the mean time, have you contacted tech support at Parallax? support@parallax.com
    Infernal Machine
  • Moving to ROBOTICS
    Infernal Machine
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,532
    edited October 16 Vote Up1Vote Down
    If you power the DBH-10 without any other connections, do the two leds blink?
    If not, then you likely have a bad board, or the firmware isn't installed on the board somehow? Also, I assume you checked the fuse for continuity?

    If they do blink when nothing else is connected, then try adding just the connection to the Activity board and see if if can talk to it (there is a test program in the Arlo build instructions). If that works, then connect the motors and try the next program in the setup instructions that will try to run the motors. Finally, try the encoder connections (I would also double check these connections at the motors).
  • sverdlik wrote: »
    Greetings,
    I am anxiously assembling my new Arlo robot and am up to the part where I am checking the DHB-10 motor controller. SO here's what's NOT happening:
    1) The indicator light on the DHB-10 is NOT blinking
    2) When I run the supplied test program (Arlo - Test Activity Board and DHb-10 Communications), the output "Program running..." is seen on the serial monitor
    but nothing more.

    I have checked the wiring (per the instructions) and putting a meter on the terminal blocks indicates I am getting full power to the board.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks.
    -Bill
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    If you power the DBH-10 without any other connections, do the two leds blink?
    If not, then you likely have a bad board, or the firmware isn't installed on the board somehow? Also, I assume you checked the fuse for continuity?

    If they do blink when nothing else is connected, then try adding just the connection to the Activity board and see if if can talk to it (there is a test program in the Arlo build instructions). If that works, then connect the motors and try the next program in the setup instructions that will try to run the motors. Finally, try the encoder connections (I would also double check these connections at the motors).

    Thanks Roy. DHB power LED's are not glowing without any other connections. I assumed default firmware was available in DHB board. How to get firmware and download it into the board.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,532
    edited October 16 Vote Up1Vote Down
    The firmware is available here: https://www.parallax.com/downloads/dhb-10-motor-controller-firmware
    You'll need a propplug to download it. Check the manual (also on the store page for it) for where it goes, you don't need to solder pins in, you can just stick the 4 pin header in with the propplug on it and hold it in place for the time it takes to download the firmware.
    If you aren't comfortable doing that, then I would just contact parallax to get help from them with the board.

    Normally the firmware should be loaded into the DBH-10. It's just worth a shot to try loading it again if you can talk to the prop on the board. I suspect it's not getting power and so it won't work to load firmware.

    Also, did you check the fuse? pull it out and check for continuity across it.
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    The firmware is available here: https://www.parallax.com/downloads/dhb-10-motor-controller-firmware
    You'll need a propplug to download it. Check the manual (also on the store page for it) for where it goes, you don't need to solder pins in, you can just stick the 4 pin header in with the propplug on it and hold it in place for the time it takes to download the firmware.
    If you aren't comfortable doing that, then I would just contact parallax to get help from them with the board.

    Normally the firmware should be loaded into the DBH-10. It's just worth a shot to try loading it again if you can talk to the prop on the board. I suspect it's not getting power and so it won't work to load firmware.

    Also, did you check the fuse? pull it out and check for continuity across it.

    All the fuses are intact and working. so,I tried as following:

    1. Remove all connections except 12v supply,
    result: power status LED is not ON
    2. connect PC to DHB-10 board with prop plug and upgrade firmware through propeller Tool v1.3.2.
    result: PC unable to detect board through COM port. p.f.a

    Now I took a fresh board and connected 12V power supply, power LED'S are ON. so I am assuming, first board got failed. It might be due to incorrect connection between parallax activity board and DHB-10.This is not documented clearly in arlo installation procedure.

    can anyone tell pin connections between parallax activity board and DHB-10 for PWM.

    1600 x 1028 - 186K
  • Might also have been the encoder connection that led to a board failure... The 5-way header that the encoder shares makes it possible to plug the wire onto the wrong pins, and from memory, I think you could short out signal and ground in one of the incorrect combinations, of if the wires were inadvertently reversed.

    Crucially, don't connect anything to the end pin, marked W.
    Picture attached of correct positions for encoder.

  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 1,312
    edited October 16 Vote Up1Vote Down
    For PWM connections, I followed these instructions and it worked ok:

    http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-activity-board-brain/connect-activity-board-dhb-10


    Edit: Added a picture, as I couldn't see the DHB10 side of things at the learn site... The markings are on the DHB10 pcb, but here's where I plugged them in. Notice the BLACK is near the pcb edge on the DHB10, whereas at the Activity board you've got white on the pcb edge. Also the connectors are in CH1 and CH2, not the AUX pins on the DHB10.


    Hope that helps?
    480 x 853 - 167K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,474
    edited October 16 Vote Up1Vote Down
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Might also have been the encoder connection that led to a board failure... The 5-way header that the encoder shares makes it possible to plug the wire onto the wrong pins, and from memory, I think you could short out signal and ground in one of the incorrect combinations, of if the wires were inadvertently reversed.

    Crucially, don't connect anything to the end pin, marked W.
    Picture attached of correct positions for encoder.

    I had problems with the encoder connections when I built my first ARLO, specifically the outboard connection. I connected the White to W next to "Motor Status". Then I put on my glasses. :)
    Infernal Machine
  • Thanks for all the information on my ARLO assenbly problem with DHB-10 verification.

    Here are my attemps to follow the suggestions as I understood them:

    Trouble shoot DHB-10 problem:
    c - review the Parallax Forum information
    c - verify the two encoder cables are white in center/black on outside
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-robot-assembly-guide/section-1-motor-mount-and-wheel-kit-assembly/step-6
    c - verify power connectors to DBH-10: correct
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-robot-assembly-guide/section-7-control-components-and-dhb-10-connections-2
    c - verify motor connections: correct
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-robot-assembly-guide/section-7-control-components-and-dhb-10-connections-5
    c - verify encoder connections:
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-robot-assembly-guide/section-7-control-components-and-dhb-10-connections-5
    c - verify Activity Board to DHB-10 connections: correct
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-activity-board-brain/connect-activity-board-dhb-10
    c - verify that DHB-10 lights do not blink: correct
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-activity-board-brain/test-correct-activity-board-electical-connections-1
    **
    Try to load the DHB-10 code:
    Ref: http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/updating-your-dhb-10-firmware
    Downloaded: 28231-DHB-10-Arlo-Firmware-v1.0
    Connect the Propeller Plug to the DHB-10’s Prop-Plug port. Make sure you haven’t plugged it in backwards - The TX and RX markings on Propeller Plug and DHB-10 should align.

    NOTE: The pins on the DHB-10 do match the marking on the Prop Plug Rev B
    DHB-10 pins: TX, RX, RESp, GND (left to right) (#28231 Rev A 1809)
    Prop Plug Rev B pins: RX, TX, RES, VSS (#32201 Rev B) or
    Prop Plug Rev B pins: VSS, RES, TX, RX (#32201 Rev B)
    Something does not look right!
  • DHB-10 pins: TX, RX, RESp, GND (left to right) (#28231 Rev A 1809)
    Prop Plug Rev B pins: RX, TX, RES, VSS (#32201 Rev B) or

    Not sure were the smiley faces with glasses come from!

    DHB-10 is A
    PROP plug is B

  • TX on the board goes to RX on the Propplug, and RX on the board goes to TX on the Propplug.
    RES with a line over it (from the plug) is the same as RESn, and VSS = GND.

    TX -> RX
    RX -> TX
    RESn -> RES (with line over it)
    GND -> VSS

    If your DHB-10 doesn't light the blue power led and the orange/amber leds don't blink when powered up with no other connections, then it's likely your board is bad or your fuse is bad.
    If you have the blue power led, but no blinking orange leds, then you might just need to update the firmware.

  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    TX on the board goes to RX on the Propplug, and RX on the board goes to TX on the Propplug.
    RES with a line over it (from the plug) is the same as RESn, and VSS = GND.

    TX -> RX
    RX -> TX
    RESn -> RES (with line over it)
    GND -> VSS

    If your DHB-10 doesn't light the blue power led and the orange/amber leds don't blink when powered up with no other connections, then it's likely your board is bad or your fuse is bad.
    If you have the blue power led, but no blinking orange leds, then you might just need to update the firmware.

    OK. Looking at the diagram for the Propplug: VSS = GND.
    And TX going to a RX and a RX going to a TX makes sense.

    So, tried to load the new firmware and got: Propeller not found on COM 6.

    Found 12v on both ends of the 20 fuse.

    Conclusion: Bad DHB-10 board.

    Really do not know why. The instructions were followed step-by-step.

    I do suggest that more verification steps should be included in the build process:
    1) verify all voltages on the power distribution board after installing and prior to connecting to anything else
    2) after installing the DHB-10 board, connecting the batteries, charging the batteries, and connecting DHB-10 to 12v, verify lights on DHB-10 prior to any other wiring.
  • To load firmware, you also need the "reset" connection. The 4th pin at the Prop-Plug pads.

    For reliability, you could try soldering a 4-way standard 0.1" header into the holes, which you can plug the PropPlug into for a really good connection.
    The reason I thought to say this, is because "Propeller not found" messages are common when the connection between the PropPlug and Propeller are intermittent.

  • But if he is not getting the blue power led lit up when power is connected, then it's not going to find a Prop either.
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    But if he is not getting the blue power led lit up when power is connected, then it's not going to find a Prop either.

    Then could it be as simple as adding a blue LED somewhere? Blinkies make everything better.

    :)

    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

    - Pablo Picasso
  • I have a wiring question.
    On Step 37 - Connecting Power & Encoders
    Connecting the encoders.
    Picture shows two empty pins for the A encoders.
    The B encoder wire colors match label on DHB-10 board.
    The A encode wire colors do not line up with corresponding labels on the board.
    To match the picture there would be an empty pin on the connector side away from the power distribution board.
    The black wire would plug into pin labeled G.
    The red wire would plug inti pin labeled B.
    The white wire would plug into pin labeled Y.
    Is this correct?
  • EdSeymore wrote: »
    I have a wiring question.
    On Step 37 - Connecting Power & Encoders
    Connecting the encoders.
    Picture shows two empty pins for the A encoders.
    The B encoder wire colors match label on DHB-10 board.
    The A encode wire colors do not line up with corresponding labels on the board.
    To match the picture there would be an empty pin on the connector side away from the power distribution board.
    The black wire would plug into pin labeled G.
    The red wire would plug inti pin labeled B.
    The white wire would plug into pin labeled Y.
    Is this correct?

    Based upon VonSzarvas prior post and excellent pictures, I am proceeding with the assembly.
  • EdSeymore wrote: »
    I have a wiring question.
    To match the picture there would be an empty pin on the connector side away from the power distribution board.
    The black wire would plug into pin labeled G.
    The red wire would plug inti pin labeled B.
    The white wire would plug into pin labeled Y.
    Is this correct?

    Correct.

    I've attached a few more images; hopefully to make the connections clearer.


    If you refer to the DHB10_TopSilk.png image, you can see a white box drawn around the pins that the encoders are expected to plug into. On the PCB photos you can just see the white box under the installed connectors, but it is clearer when the headers are not in the way!

    At the edge of that white line box, toward the inside of the board, you will see the BRW (or WRB) marking. That is what you should follow for both encoder connectors used by Arlo, and that is how I have my cables connected on the attached PCB photos. Keep the Arlo encoder connectors inside that box on both rows. Don't follow the W Y B G markings.

    For reference, the markings on the outside edge (W Y B G - +) are for a different type of motor and wheel set that had a 5-pin connector which included the encoder and motor power connections in one. That product was discontinued due to supplier quality issues I believe, although many customers will still have that lower current motor set and will use that connector instead of the motor screw terminals required for the larger current Arlo motors. Anyway- the point of the dual markings at that encoder header area is to allow for both types of motors/encoders to connect.

    Have fun with the rest of the assembly!
    768 x 1365 - 322K
    1365 x 768 - 229K
    1365 x 768 - 228K
    1606 x 1346 - 117K
Sign In or Register to comment.