Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Max SPI speed? — Parallax Forums

Max SPI speed?

Can P2 do 125 MHz SPI with 250 MHz clock?

If so, how would you do it?

The smartpin synchronous serial transmit mode talks about a 2 clock delay between clock edge and data output.
That sounds like clock/4 would be max speed, right?
Also, how do you generate the clock?

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    I would use a smart pin in transition mode for the SPI clock output. You can set the number of transitions you want and how many clocks per. For data I/O, the synchronous serial smart pin modes should suffice.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,894
    Thanks, I see that now.
    A lot of devices look to top out at SPI speed of 30 MHz, so that is easy.

Looks like class 10 SD card and do 50 MHz, I think should be OK there...
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2018-11-10 23:40
    Rayman wrote: »
    Can P2 do 125 MHz SPI with 250 MHz clock?

If so, how would you do it?

The smartpin synchronous serial transmit mode talks about a 2 clock delay between clock edge and data output.
    That sounds like clock/4 would be max speed, right?
    Also, how do you generate the clock?

I think that comes down to if you want SPI-duplex, and you likely need to add in the external devices Clock to out delays in that time budget too.

The data says

11100 = sync serial transmit (A-data, B-clock)
    11101 = sync serial receive (A-data, B-clock)

but also says that B-clock is an input signal ?

%11100 = synchronous serial transmit

This mode overrides OUT to control the pin output state.
    Words of 1 to 32 bits are shifted out on the pin, LSB first, with each new bit being output two internal clock cycles after registering a positive edge on the B input. For negative-edge clocking, the B input may be inverted by setting B[3] in WRPIN’s D value

That's starting to sound limiting. If the remote unit samples on _/= and idles HI, that's half a clock period for P2 to generate the CLK, plus a Tsu budget.
    Practical might be SysCLK/5 ?

Rayman wrote: »
    Thanks, I see that now.
    A lot of devices look to top out at SPI speed of 30 MHz, so that is easy.

Looks like class 10 SD card and do 50 MHz, I think should be OK there...

There are 128MHz SPI LCD displays designed to talk to RaspPi, it would be interesting to see how fast those can run on P2.
    I think those are write-only, so just need fastest clock and data. They claim 60Hz frame rates.

Some info seems to be here https://github.com/kedei/LCD_driver
    - but I do not see the specific SPI setups / data widths for that display ?

eg This linkage could be nice, not sure if P2 can connect these dots ?

HUB memory -> Streamer -> LUT palette -> Smart Pin SPI -> 128MHz LCD link.
    cgracey wrote: »
    I would use a smart pin in transition mode for the SPI clock output. You can set the number of transitions you want and how many clocks per. For data I/O, the synchronous serial smart pin modes should suffice.

Running a clock separate from shifter sounds tricky to get right - phasing becomes critical, and what happens if an interrupt occurs ?

Does sync serial transmit really not 'generate its own clock' ?

The DOCs say this "This mode allows steady data transmission with a continuous clock, as long as the WYPIN’s after each IN-rise occur before the current word transmission is complete."
    - but if the data has occasional small pauses due to interrupts, how does the clock know to pause ?

Addit:
    I also find this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8-TFT-LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-Monitor-640x480-60fps-For-Raspberry-Pi-Zero-W/264014279144

Claims 60fps for 640x480 in 2.8" - very impressive ! - but skip the important bpp and MHz numbers ... :( **

and they have the CPLD model, 3.5", 480x320
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-5-inch-128M-SPI-60Hz-LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-Module-For-Raspberry-Pi-3-B-/263892520798
    and I think this is older, HC595 x 3 design... slower ?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-Module-320-480-RGB-Display-Board-For-Raspberry-Pi-3-B-/381182260459

** Addit 2:

Google finds this
    http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/2.8_inch_Touch_Screen_for_Pi_zero
    https://github.com/tianyoujian/MZDPI

Shows a version B PCB, (2018.5.28) with more options, includes PWM backlight, ... but still vague on SPI specs...

Addit 3: hmm... maybe that 640x480 in 2.8" is not SPI ? - PCB seems to have a lot of connections ? - can Pi do some DMA parallel bus ? (640x480x60Hz is min-mean of 18.432MHz )
    Google finds this - good numbers and scope grabs, but somewhat confusing results, where DMA is worse than bit-bang, seems DMA+GPIO was never intended ?
    https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-gpio-dma-demo

Strange, as the PiZero is a single core I think ? So hitting that claimed 60fps, uses most of the CPU resource ?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    The streamer for data I/O and a smart pin for clock generation should get you to Fsys/2.
    The streamer for data I/O and a smart pin for clock generation should get you to Fsys/2.

To make this more interrupt tolerant, I think you would need to send just 8/16/24 bits at a time, reloading CLK and DAT ?
    Or is that reload DAT and CLK, I think loading DAT is buffered, and you want to ensure that is ready for the next clock burst,
    Is CLK setting also buffered ?

What about for a Pi-as-Master case, where the P2 looks like that LCD display.
    What speed is possible then ?

The streamer can go to SysCLK tho, so that seems a limitation ?

Q: Should a mode be extended, so the smart pins can also generate FSys speed outputs ?

That would allow users to use a lower Sysclk for many of these designs, which is inside a wider temperature range spec, and lowers Icc.
    I think the logic needed is not large, in sync modes, it would be 2 x D-FF and an XOR gate, one D-FF is _/= and one is =\_

Or, it allows them to over-clock existing designs - eg that CPLD Pi LCD above, specs 128MHz because that's the Pi limit, but a P2 with SysCLK out ability, could probably wiggle a pin to 200MHz + ?
    ( It seems to deliver data fine at 250MHz to HDMI displays )
    Being able to have higher fps than a Pi, would certainly get peoples attention :)
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,168
    edited 2018-11-11 02:18
    P2 as SPI to VGA/LCD translator for Pi? Yeah that sounds nice. Could be rather handy for low pin count Pi applications, or for enabling multiple displays perhaps. The Pi has its parallel DPI mode usable for VGA but that burns many of its pins. A fast SPI to VGA hat if doable (at perhaps lower resolutions), could be interesting. The Pi also has this high bandwidth parallel SMI mode that could be useful for interfacing to a P2 too, poorly documented though.
    rogloh wrote: »
    P2 as SPI to VGA/LCD translator for Pi? Could be rather handy for low pin count Pi applications, or for enabling multiple displays perhaps. The Pi has its parallel DPI mode usable for VGA but that burns many of its pins. A fast SPI to VGA hat if doable (at perhaps lower resolutions), could be interesting. The Pi also has this high bandwidth parallel SMI mode that could be useful for interfacing to a P2 too, poorly documented though.

Yes, there are many over-laps.
    I was looking at using the better Pi LCDs (fastest fps) with P2, as well as P2-as-slave to a Pi system.
    It seems Pi can talk at 128M, can P2 listen at that speed, on a practical connection ?
    Conversely, CPLD Pi displays spec 128M, but that's because that's where Pi stops, P2 could drive much faster (with the right pin cell details)

Pi also seems able to burst-send at reasonable speeds on GPIO, so here the streamer could act as a FIFO interface.
  • another question would be how fast can the P2 act as a SPI slave with a external clock.

That might be interesting too...

Mike

msrobots wrote: »
    another question would be how fast can the P2 act as a SPI slave with a external clock.

That might be interesting too...

That is already asked. In the Pi talking at 128M, the P2 is a slave SPI device. (Clock comes from Pi)