Why Are Too Few Females in Robotics? Could It Be the Robots?

15678911»

Comments

• Saw this interesting blurb on CNN website.

Jess Wade, a London physicist who's making sure women in science get the recognition they deserve. And she's doing it one Wikipedia article at a time. She challenged herself to write one entry every day this year. So far, she's written more than 280 -- each highlighting a woman or someone from another group underrepresented in science.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• WhitWhit Posts: 3,996
    Saw this interesting blurb on CNN website.

Jess Wade, a London physicist who's making sure women in science get the recognition they deserve. And she's doing it one Wikipedia article at a time. She challenged herself to write one entry every day this year. So far, she's written more than 280 -- each highlighting a woman or someone from another group underrepresented in science.

Here she is - https://wtkr.com/2018/07/28/a-physicist-is-writing-one-wikipedia-entry-a-day-to-recognize-women-in-science/

Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,289
    Looks like Hexbug plans to get to the girl Scouts through a STEM program. Expect to reap the dividends in a dozen years, ladies!

https://www.hexbug.com/news/2018/08/01/girl-scouts-stem-pledge/

https://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-girl-scouts/girl-scouts-and-stem.html

@Ken: Consider PINK for the S4 color! But TTYTT, I still favor the yellow/black scheme that silly Fluke put the kibosh on: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Thanks for posting this, Sir erco!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • erco wrote: »

@Ken: Consider PINK for the S4 color! But TTYTT, I still favor the yellow/black scheme that silly Fluke put the kibosh on: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428

Could always go to a mustard/black or gold/black scheme. I saw both on some boats and they look very sharp.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • Rocker Grace Potter on NASA's Ladies of STEM. Wait for Robonaut's cameo at 3:22.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

• Whit+

• Fantastic!

Whit+

• Bravo Sylvia!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Robotic Raven - This women is one smart cookie and an awesome example of women in robotics! Maryland student’s research advances pioneering micro air vehicle - read the whole story here at IEEE Spectrum. - https://spectrum.ieee.org/robotics/robotics-hardware/robotic-raven-gains-altitude

Whit+

• Awesome!
    edited November 2 Vote Up0Vote Down
    National Academies Report Says Sexual Harassment Is a Threat to Engineering - see the full story at IEEE Spectrum - https://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/tech-careers/national-academies-report-says-sexual-harassment-is-a-threat-to-engineering

The article by C.D. Mote Jr., Sheila E. Widnall and Ed Lazowska, begins with this..."The engineering community has been working for decades to increase the representation of women in universities and in the profession, but progress has been slow. In the United States, just 21 percent of engineering bachelor’s degrees go to women, and only 11 percent of practicing engineers are women. While the problem is complex, we must recognize that one significant factor is sexual harassment, which creates hostile education and work environments and pushes women out of the field."

C.D. Mote Jr. is president of the National Academy of Engineering. Sheila E. Widnall, Institute Professor and professor of aeronautics and astronautics at MIT, and Ed Lazowska, Bill & Melinda Gates Chair in Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington, are two of the authors of the National Academies report Sexual Harassment of Women: Climate, Culture, and Consequences in Academic Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
    Whit+

• MicksterMickster Posts: 1,217
    This is the first time that I have looked at this thread and I confess to not having read much of it because it's too long but.....I have employed many Service Technicians over the years and the best was a lady. She came up through the ranks and made it her business to understand how and why things work. I would always send her on the under-warranty projects because she wouldn't blindly swap parts out, she would analyze and find the root cause. Calibrating the PID on a 100HP AC Vector-Drive can be pretty "exciting" but she could almost do it with her eyes shut....pretty cool.

However, I have made a curious observation about male vs female, over the past 20+ years; for a bit of fun, I learned a couple of "magic" card tricks and when I perform them for females, they are usually amazed and if they ask me to repeat, it's purely for the entertainment. Now males are a totally different story....they go nuts wanting to know "how?" and they ask me to repeat and repeat because they want to figure out how to do it....they offer money or to buy me a drink to spill the beans and they can become quite aggressive.

Go figure....
    Failure is not an option...it's bundled with the software.
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,289
    I taught a class in toy design at the Otis College of Art here in LA for many years. It was a builder's class, students built working mechanisms, soldered circuits, and yes, programmed BASIC Stamps! Parallax's Jim Carrey very generously donated many BS2 Homework boards to the cause, Bravo! In general, I found that the girls took the assignments more seriously than the boys, spent more time and often did a better job. Not trying to be sexist or promote stereotypes here, but IMO many girls felt a bit out of their element. As a result, they listened and "failed often and early" (pre-Google!) moreso than most boys, leaving room for experimentation & redesign.

And now that I'm the proud Papa of two bright & lovely daughters, I can truly confirm that girls just plain rock!

44198840_2150005161684909_6310791100953001984_o.jpg

- Pablo Picasso
  • Girls tend to listen, boys tend to analyze. Simple
  • Where does that "simple" notion come from?

It does not correlate with my experience of boys and girls, men an women, over my six decades on this planet.

I say it's phooey. There is no way you can make such gross, simplistic categorizations.

• I don't mean to be sexist either but I resent that "Simple" statement. I analyse the sh..t out of everything!
    It is how I self taught myself programming and mechanics! It is where I get new ideas or recycle old ones
    for my own robots. In the last two years I decided to take up 3D printing and have a scratch built and two
    commercially made printers. I did the scratch built first and learned a lot about 3D printing and all it's ins
    and outs on my own with research, reading and trial and error. You can see some of my work since then
    on Thingiverse. I also self taught myself how to use Openscad which was not an easy endeavor. I am 72
    years old and staying young by "analyzing" lots of things!
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• +1 @Carol Hazlett

OpenScad is kind of cool, isn't it? But you are not really a example for the 'common 72 year old woman', you are just 'simple' amazing.

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
    edited November 5 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @msrobots - Your key words say it all! ;-)
    @Carol Hazlett - you are are the best!
    Whit+