Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum friend PJV - Has Passed Away — Parallax Forums

Forum friend PJV - Has Passed Away

VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
edited 2018-10-24 14:07 in General Discussion
This sad news arrived today about the passing of Peter (PJV):
Hello Parallax community. The is the son of Peter writing.

I'm saddened to inform you all that my father Peter passed away recently.

He spoke often about his passion for the Propeller chip and was enthusiastic about applying it for all types of projects. He was a true inventor and the Propeller was Central to most of his plans.

Thank you all for being a community he loved to interact with!

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Gosh. Sad news indeed.

Peter was an avid P1 supporter and wanted to do a P1B. At least he got to see the P2 proto silicon arrive.
  • Very sad news. I can only imagine what Peter could have done with the P2.
  • Saddened by this news. My condolences to his family.
  • Hope his family knows he was really appreciated here.
  • Publison wrote: »
    Very sad news. I can only imagine what Peter could have done with the P2.
    . +1
    Jim
  • I remember when he was a big help on the SX forum, he bailed me out a couple of times on some things that I was not getting right. He will be missed. RIP.

Ray
  • That is very sad news. Peter visited me in Port Townsend a couple years or so ago. He was engaging, extremely sharp, and had the curious mind of someone much younger. My condolences to his loved ones. He will surely be missed.

-Phil
  • That is very sad news. Peter visited me in Port Townsend a couple years or so ago. He was engaging, extremely sharp, and had the curious mind of someone much younger. My condolences to his loved ones. He will surely be missed.

-Phil

I agree.
    Having been in the same sad position as the son, I am also supporting the younger gentleman, in his feelings of loss and certainly of devastation.

The first P2 releases should be dedicated to him.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    My condolences to his family and friends. I will miss his posts and I am sure many others on this forum will do so as well.
  • Oh man this sucks.
  • This is indeed very sad. God bless Peter and his family.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2018-10-25 16:02
    PJV shared a lot of knowledge with me early on, and sent me a nice Tek analog scope when he learned I didn't have one at the time. Did that unsolicited. Apparently, someone he either worked for, or consulted with was doing a site upgrade and he found homes for all the gear to be replaced.

I have since used that thing all over the place, and will remember him fondly.

@Son of Peter: You had a great dad. We all will feel your loss. He touched many people. Please take my best thoughts with you on that hard journey forward.

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2018-10-27 02:23
    ...sigh...

My condolences. Peter answered many of my questions during a sharp/steep learning phase.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Very sorry to hear this news. Sincere condolences to his family, he will be missed here very much.
  • davejames wrote: »
    ...sigh...

My condolences. Peter answered many of my questions during a sharp/steep learning phase.

Same, and did with a gentle, caring manner.
  • Very sad news.
    Condolences to pjv's family.
  • My condolences to his family.
  • That's sad. His username is on a lot of posts, so we've lost one of our own family here (and, in time, we'll lose all of us...as we're only "renting" these mortal bodies). Speaking of family, it sure was thoughtful of Peter's son to take the time to let us know, and also respectful of what his father would have wanted. They say that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, and Peter clearly lives on in his son, as well as in others he's influenced, no doubt, and even in us on this forum. And being an inventor is a reflection of the One who created everything. We say, "Like father, like son," but could equally say, "Like Creator, like creature."

But it is indeed the case that his son's letter was quite touching. Reading it is like watching the end of a touching movie. I can see his son penning those words now as we hear his inner thoughts: "I'm saddened to inform you all that my father Peter passed away recently. He spoke often about his passion for the Propeller chip and was enthusiastic about applying it for all types of projects. He was a true inventor and the Propeller was Central to most of his plans. Thank you all for being a community he loved to interact with!" Lovely words, worth repeating, and they make one feel honored to be a part of this community. To Peter, Invent in Peace in a better place. And to Peter's son, thanks for your thoughtful words.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2018-10-31 09:48
    Peter was a really committed engineer; the kind that really thinks about technical things down to clock cycles and the lowest-level design. He came to Parallax twice for Expo events and I had the chance to know him and understand his professional work. As noted above, he was really waiting for a P1 with Port B. At one point he even took our Verilog design to the Unversity of Alberta or Edmonton to see if their team had the ability to make the design modifications to open up Port B. He really, really needed this for a high-power management project. Ultimately it was determined that the university wasn't up for the task.

He also had an idea of making a high-precision X/Y table for the hobbyist with extrusions and bearings, in his own machine shop. I never took the time to fully understand how he would do this, but he was absolutely certain he could remove all backlash slop and manufacture it for us on his own CNC tools. Peter had a number of skilled machinists on staff.

I think his most important Propeller software ideas were his RTOS designs in which he wrote them entirely in assembly, accounting for every single clock cycle and processor, getting the most from the Propeller. Somewhere this was documented, too. He really understood Chip's thinking with the Propeller design, calling it "brilliant, simple" or something like this.

Peter had a special way of replying to forum questions, too. Sometimes he'd just write it like he saw it, pointing out some nonsense or asking the poster to really take time to understand what they were actually asking. This was to help the poster think their concept through properly.

Peter took time to go on fantastic retirement trips with his family, too.

I think the last time I saw him was when a group of us went from Parallax to a Rocklin restaurant called Tahoe Joe's. We had a cocktail and dinner together.

We will have a moment of silence at the next Propeller Expo for our fallen peers who contributed so much to the community.

Ken Gracey

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    So sorry to hear this for Peter's family and the Forum family.