Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Book Recommendation Wanted — Parallax Forums

Book Recommendation Wanted

I'm looking for a good book, of the printed paper variety, which goes into detail on motors, their electrical characteristics, torque/speed calculations, driver arrangements, etc, etc. Something that will tell me how to extract the maximum from a stepper and how not to stall it. And the same for DC and BLDC motors, and simple AC motors. Not interested in large motors, hence posting here in 'robotics'.

Why a printed book?

1) All the information in one place - not scattered around a gazillion websites.
2) I can sit curled up on the sofa and read it (ie no pile of printed out websites/app notes)
3) I can sit in bed and read it without disturbing my sleep pattern (ie no electrical gadgets)

Any recommendations?

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2018-10-12 04:43
    Get a copy of the late Gordon McComb's Robot Builder's Bonanza Soon to be in its Fifth Edition. All are good! Should cover most of what you are looking for!

Check it out here for free - http://www.maerivoet.org/website/software/arduino/manuals/electronics/robot-builders-bonanza.pdf Chapters 20-24 should give you an idea of what is here!

Good luck!

• Thanks Whit, what an amazing book; I've now got a pre-order in for it.

Any other suggestions? Even something more technical than Whit's recommendation?
  • I was going to recommend anything by Dr. Jacob Tal but WHOA!!!! The prices that I just saw are scary...I used to get them for free.
  • Mickster wrote: »
    I was going to recommend anything by Dr. Jacob Tal but WHOA!!!! The prices that I just saw are scary...I used to get them for free.

Got any titles? Amazon only shows one which is long out of print.
  • This is what I found but now I don't remember how much he delves in to general motor types/theory. I might be thinking of Baldor but all they seem to have anymore is catalogs and manuals...all electronic.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacob-Tal/e/B00JBTHSXI
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Hey Brian: Definitely get Gordon's book (as should we ALL) and learn all you can from that and other sources. There are books with math and motor constants and current and back EMF and acceleration and power and efficiency calculations. All are good, depending on how deep you want to go into theory, but IMO nothing takes the place of real-world testing and having a pile of gearmotors for trial & error experience. Ya gots to put down doze books, git off dat couch, and gitcho hands dirty. :)