Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Confusing blue backgrounds.. — Parallax Forums

Confusing blue backgrounds..

Not been here for a while but noticed every second forum-post now appears on blue background, found it so confusing as I'm used to think blue background means quotes.
Is there a way I can turn off this?

Comments

• Moskog wrote: »
    Not been here for a while but noticed every second forum-post now appears on blue background, found it so confusing as I'm used to think blue background means quotes.
    Is there a way I can turn off this?

Welcome back then!
    And like what?

---
    And this message is being sponsored by We work in a family, a Pride of Lions support group
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2018-10-04 11:04
    Compare the background of his post, your post, and my post.. yours will have a non-white background. Yes, I too find it confusing and taking my focus away from the content.
  • I am not seeing this effect on Chrome WIN 7 PRO.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    For me it alternates between white and light grey. As OP says, similar to quote box.
  • What browsers and Operating Systems are we using?
    If I'm reading Firefox's inspector correctly, then the culprit is called .Item.Alt.ItemComment, file is custom.css, line 562 sets the background colour.
    I'm seeing it with Firefox, Chromium, Vivaldi.
  • I have verified the problem with the latest version of Firefox-WIN 7 PRO. Will report it.
  • I see it on Microsoft Edge, but the shading is very subtle. I can easily distinguish it from the backgrounds that are used for quotes and code sections, which are more saturated. Instead of using different saturations of blue it might be good to use different colors for quotes and code, such as a light green and light yellow.
  • It is not a problem or bug – it is a feature that accompanied our latest round of updates to the forums. However, we can see how the colour might cause confusion, so we will look into a method to better distinguish alternating rows from quotes.

For now, PC users will likely notice a bit more distinction between the quotes and the background colour than mobile users do.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2018-10-04 13:55
    It is not a problem or bug – it is a feature that accompanied our latest round of updates to the forums. However, we can see how the colour might cause confusion, so we will look into a method to better distinguish alternating rows from quotes.

For now, PC users will likely notice a bit more distinction between the quotes and the background colour than mobile users do.
    Is it possible to turn off the alternating backgrounds feature? They don't really seem necessary given that each post has a fairly distinct header that lets you distinguish one post from the next.
  • I had no clue what you were talking about, until I saw someone mentioning htpps and understood it is working in the forums, perhaps since long time back? For me, with latest Chrome and quite late Win10 version, when switching to https I see what you mean, when using plain old (and seemingly slower http) I don't have this bluish issue.
    YMMV or whichever acronym means what works for me might not work for you, I dislike all those old and modern acronyms that steals so much time at least from me :cool:
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ah yes. Same here. Not so much blue as grey alternate post backgrounds. That is weird. Why do that with HTTPS?

Why do we still have an insecure site?
  • The coloring is so subtle as to not be an issue for me. I mean, it's not like that green-striped printer paper some of us grew up with. :)

-Phil
    ..so we will look into a method to better distinguish alternating rows from quotes.
    Please.. there's no *need* to distinguish alternating rows (that is, alternating posts). No forum needs that. The posts *have* to look the same, or there will be confusion forever.
    Any progress on this? Disabling the background colour of alternating posts?
    It's hair-pullingly frustrating. No other forum does this, so I can't get used to it. What happens is that my eyes automatically glace over when I see a post with that background, as if I've already read it earlier. It's frustrating when trying to do may daily read of threads with lots of new posts.
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,374
    edited 2018-10-12 14:24
    I posted this on the other thread:
    Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    While i personally prefer the alternating backgrounds, here is a solution for the people that don't: just install this userstyle i wrote. Here is a Userstyle manager for Chrome or Vivaldi, if you don't have one already. There's also one for Firefox, but i'm too lazy to dig out a link for it.
    @-moz-document domain("forums.parallax.com") {
    .Item.Alt.ItemComment {
        background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    }
    }

edited 2018-10-12 18:02
    I find it amazing. Ever since we started to get high resolution screens on our computers capable of graphical user interfaces back in the early 1980's I have been hearing from GUI design "experts" expounding on how to make a good graphical user interface.

They go into all kind of details like consistency, discoverability, etc, etc, all the way down to color schemes, typefaces, font sizes and so on.

Well, where are we today, after four decades of this advice?

Windows 10 is a GUI nightmare. Meanwhile pretty much every website in the world is ugly as hell and a usability nightmare.

The alternating background shading of posts here is the least of my worries in that respect.

What really annoys me are these forum features:

1) The stupid smiley thing in the top right of a post edit box that often obscures what you are typing there and serves no useful purpose.

2) The "gear" button that when clicked has a drop down menu of only one item "edit". How nuts is that? Why not just an "Edit" button?

3) The mangling of my text into something I did not write. For example this 8)

4) On my Android phone the page is very wide and mostly blank on the right hand side. Which means that as I scroll up and down the page tends to disappear to the left.

5) Why are we still allowing HTTP access?

OK, rant over.

That edit button is the only place javascript required to operate on the forum.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2018-10-12 19:59
    Heater. wrote: »
    I find it amazing. Ever since we started to get high resolution screens on our computers capable of graphical user interfaces back in the early 1980's I have been hearing from GUI design "experts" expounding on how to make a good graphical user interface.

They go into all kind of details like consistency, discoverability, etc, etc, all the way down to color schemes, typefaces, font sizes and so on.

Well, where are we today, after four decades of this advice?

Windows 10 is a GUI nightmare. Meanwhile pretty much every website in the world is ugly as hell and a usability nightmare.

The alternating background shading of posts here is the least of my worries in that respect.

What really annoys me are these forum features:

1) The stupid smiley thing in the top right of a post edit box that often obscures what you are typing there and serves no useful purpose.

2) The "gear" button that when clicked has a drop down menu of only one item "edit". How nuts is that? Why not just an "Edit" button?

3) The mangling of my text into something I did not write. For example this 8)

4) On my Android phone the page is very wide and mostly blank on the right hand side. Which means that as I scroll up and down the page tends to disappear to the left.

5) Why are we still allowing HTTP access?

OK, rant over.

Have to agree, particularly with #1. What a pain in the @$$ when you have to place the cursor there or have to press the enter key to end a line.

PS - It should be up on the edit bar to avoid the nuisance it creates and discourage the use of dozens of stupid emoticons.
  • Why are we still allowing HTTP access?
    Because not allowing passive viewing is silly? I am all for HTTPS-only login, but shutting down the HTTP port entirely is just unnecessary.

Then again, parsing regular ol' text into smileys is even more silly. Why not just use the :foobar: syntax that the forum already has, without the automatic ascii parsing. If someone wants to write a smiley/emoji they'll write it.

OFF TOPIC SEMI-RANT START

But I agree that, as a whole, "design experts" don't really know what anyone, including themselves, want. On one hand they're wanting to unify the design of everything, on the other, they want their brand/whatever to stand out. One second they worry about discover-ability, the next they want to declutter their UI by hiding options behind mouseovers, unnecessary sub-menus and "intuitive" gestures (that you only learn when triggering them by accident and/or hearing someone mention them online).
    Wuerfel_21,
    Because not allowing passive viewing is silly? I am all for HTTPS-only login, but shutting down the HTTP port entirely is just unnecessary.
    My claim is that it is not silly or unnecessary. Allowing access to resources over HTTP after having logged in using HTTPS basically throws away all the security you thought you were getting by using HTTPS for the login.

One might think HTTPS is not necessary for visitors that are not registered in anyway here and are just viewing public content. But even then not using HTTPS leaves them open to deception.

This is written about comprehensively all over the internet, for example:

https://mashable.com/2011/05/31/https-web-security/?europe=true#LhbKFwcfJ5qu
    https://https.cio.gov/
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Mixed_content