Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Reservoir tip" for SMD soldering? — Parallax Forums

"Reservoir tip" for SMD soldering?

This reviewer drills a hole in the tip of the iron. Is this a well known technique?

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Never seen that, but what a great video!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Sounds like a really bad idea.

If you make a hole in the tip you have broken through the plating that protects it from corrosion under the heat of soldering and action of the flux.

You will now have a very short lived tip.
  • Anything that removes the tip metalic-linnings and exposes its copper metal core is abusive and will lead to tips destruction.

But it is his tip, and his money, then, I think it's fair.

If he only does solder joints for funny, perhaps soldering himself makes him save some money, for the extra tips! :smile:
    What people do with their tips in the privacy of their own homes is fair.

But when they go to the trouble of making videos spouting such nonsense it does everyone a disservice.

Besides one does not need a tip with a well in it, whatever they are called, to do surface mount soldering.

Check out Louis Rossman for example: https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

Lois seems to be able to solder just about anything with any tip.
  • I don't use an iron for SMDs other than cleanup of bridges etc. I solder SMDs with an old Radio Shack desoldering tool that uses a fish tank pump for air, and Zeph paste. Works well, and a very fine point takes care of bridges. A few years ago there was a couple of youtubes for this.
  • I'm one of the fools who pays silly money for brands like Knipex and I really take care of my tools. BUT if I need to sacrifice a $7 tip to get me a better result in a shorter time, it's a no-brainer.

I still cringed when he did it, mind :o
  • Watching the livestream where Chip is having solder bridging issues...got a drill anyone? :lol:
    I was thinking just the opposite, that maybe a solder-filled cavity/hole would capillary the solder inside, keeping air/oxygen out and thus saving the tip and solder from oxidizing.

This is America. A guy can dream, right? :)

I can't be the only one here who was captivated by the guy harvesting components from the field!
  • erco wrote: »
    I can't be the only one here who was captivated by the guy harvesting components from the field!

Yeah almost wet myself when he did that. He brings humor in to his other reviews... watched a few of them

:lol:
  • There's one where he's testing some testing instrument and he superimposes explosions over it :lol:
    edited 2018-09-27 21:09
    OK, I finally got time to watch the vid. That is Marco Reps. He is very good.

Did anyone notice that he says "sacrifice to science" and "varying degrees of destruction" and "this will have a disadvantage at some point"?

He is joking around. As you should have guessed after the brilliant part about capacitor harvesting. Or do you think electronic components grow on trees?

He spells it out that this is a bad idea.

• Glad it's not serious as my first thought was "no, no, no and did I mention no?"
    Is it really so that people don't understand this kind of humor? Even when the joke is explained as it goes along?

OK. No, don't answer that.

• I think the reservoir tip is brilliant. After all, that's the way dip pens work. Now, if only someone could make a soldering iron that works like a fountain pen, we'd be set. (IOW, I wouldn't have to hold the solder in my mouth as I hold the iron and the wire that I'm trying to tin in my hands.)

-Phil
  • I think the reservoir tip is brilliant. After all, that's the way dip pens work. Now, if only someone could make a soldering iron that works like a fountain pen, we'd be set. (IOW, I wouldn't have to hold the solder in my mouth as I hold the iron and the wire that I'm trying to tin in my hands.)

-Phil

https://www.leisto.com/soldering-station/auto-feed-soldering-station-w-foot-pedal-design/
    http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_958_959.html

A few options out there. The Hakko 958 isn't sold in North America, but you can get them other ways. You can also make your own:

Heater. wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that he says "sacrifice to science" and "varying degrees of destruction" and "this will have a disadvantage at some point"?