Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ken's "Clean Bench Challenge" — Parallax Forums

Ken's "Clean Bench Challenge"

Now that I have an office and a real workspace, I can safely post some pics of my bench and parts that Ken requested long ago. I still have lots to move from my home office, but WOW is it nice to have space and to have all my goodies in one place and labeled, instead of digging through stacks of cardboard boxes in various closets and the garage. Second smartest thing I did all year, setting up this office!

Comments

• To me a clean bench is a foreign concept. If mine is clean it means I'm not working on anything.
  • I thought it was going to be an erco Fire Sale post, based on the title. Glad is was not.
  • What is that in the top right corner of your desk in the third picture? Huh? Why does it not say P8X32A?

(image rotated for your viewing convenience)
    680 x 376 - 304K
  • More important, what have you wired up that clapping monkey to do?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    To me a clean bench is a foreign concept. If mine is clean it means I'm not working on anything.

Agreed! I'm enjoying this relatively tidy new spot temporarily until it gets buried very soon in my next crisis build. :)
  • OMG! .... my work bench? what is that? I have a 1500 square foot barn and It's mostly standing room only because of projects !

I agree with Roy, and erco
    I'd kill for 1500 sq ft! My partner and I only have ~380 sq ft and are trying to keep it somewhat presentable. Two clutterbugs trying to keep each other honest. So far so good!

Funny story, I recently met up with some Silicon Valley startup guys. Big money. First meeting was at their hotel near LAX. Later, they flew down to meet with me at my tiny office. I was sure they would be disappointed, but just the opposite. We had stuff, and tools, and parts, and materials, and in a heartbeat, they told me "You're our guy!"... Apparently there's a lot of smoke & mirrors & good intentions with startups and it's the exception when they find someone who can actually deliver stuff that works. So keeping your bench too tidy might work against you sometimes!
  • Finally someone who agrees with me.

Erco I am almost jealous of your work area.

---
    And this message is being sponsored by the Yeti Mountain Rescue Yetis.
    I really love it here. Two miles from home, just perfect. I've put in a lot of 12-hour days and didn't even mind or notice it. It's a studio/office/workshop/clubhouse/mancave. We had an open house last week. Big fun, lots of new partnerships with toy designers, businesses & manufacturers.

2560 x 1440 - 908K
    2560 x 1440 - 897K
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • Right now, I'd kill for two square feet of uncovered horizontal space. My shop is a disaster. I could probably fill a dumpster in a week and still have stuff to cart off to Goodwill. I need to join Hoarders Anonymous. But wait! I might need to use that part in the next five years! :)

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2018-09-27 13:00
    Right now, I'd kill for two square feet of uncovered horizontal space. My shop is a disaster. I could probably fill a dumpster in a week and still have stuff to cart off to Goodwill. I need to join Hoarders Anonymous. But wait! I might need to use that part in the next five years! :)

-Phil
    More likely the week after you throw it out, whenever that occurs ;)
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Right now, I'd kill for two square feet of uncovered horizontal space. My shop is a disaster. I could probably fill a dumpster in a week and still have stuff to cart off to Goodwill. I need to join Hoarders Anonymous. But wait! I might need to use that part in the next five years! :)

-Phil
    More likely the week after you throw it out, whenever that occurs ;)

A universal law for sure.
  • Price for the gizmo varies inversely with the amount of time it has been gathering dust prior to discarding it and then exponentially with the level of need when you discover you really do need it.