Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gordon McComb - Has Passed Away — Parallax Forums

Gordon McComb - Has Passed Away

Comments

• Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2018-09-15 17:51
    RIP

I enjoyed his books and his input that he provided on the forum.
  • Oh, no....
    He was always kind in our email/forums exchanges and I had hoped to meet him in person. God bless him and his family.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-09-15 19:11
    Gordon was a pillar of this community and such a great contributor here, and to the robotics world.

His last post was the day he died:
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1445410/#Comment_1445410
  • Wow! What a last post!

I would SO totally buy that toy. Reminds me of the crazy toys sold in the 50's through 70's. Nuclear explorer kits, sonic boom (150db) rifles, lawn darts... yeah, sign me up!

• Always enjoyed his posts, he will be missed.
  • Wow, sad to see that he passed, he will be greatly missed. He was definitely a true maker. In regards to his last post, it's good to see that he was doing his passion until the day he died.
  • This is deeply saddening. Gordon was a great guy. I have and will always celebrate his work.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2018-09-15 21:18
    So sorry and sad to hear this! One of the first books I ever read about Robotics was Gordon’s. His latest is coming out right before Christmas. https://www.amazon.com/Robot-Builders-Bonanza-Gordon-McComb/dp/1260135012/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537046193&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gordon+mccomb&dpPl=1&dpID=518tqHwpUAL&ref=plSrch
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Oh no. That is such sad news. Gordon will be missed around here.
  • I am shocked.
  • So sad to hear about Gordon's passing. Gordon did a lot of work with Parallax - Microcontroller KickStarts, projects, tutorials, etc.

He came to see us a few times and got along very well with out team. We will miss him and his contributions. In person he had a very pleasant, calming and inquisitive demeanor. If I recall correctly, he started his home robotics business so he and his son had a small project to do together. He demonstrated how to get into robotics for a very low cost, with all kinds of creative ideas and projects that most people could achieve.

RIP, Gordon.

Ken Gracey
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Gordon, your forum posts will surely be missed.
    RIP Gordon
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    OMG, this is positively dreadful news. I'm out camping with the twins and now I'm sorry I turned my phone on. Gordon was a true legend. In one of his recent posts he mentioned getting together again soon to visit my new office. Man how I wish we did that. I'm devastated. This happened Sept 10? Any funeral info, Jon? This will take me a while to process. RIP Gordon our friend.
  • The worst news. Sorry, Erco.
  • Oh no. Such an inspiration in his books.
  • Such a good man and a great mind. His passing leaves us all with a great loss.
  • I'll update my post in a new one.

He was a great influence to us all.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2018-09-17 03:43
    Ken's post below has the mailing address.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-09-17 08:42

Is the family taking donations for worthy causes?
  • I don't know. If you send it I'll deliver it. Nothing will be left in a mailbox or on a doorstep.
  • RIP Gordon, an inspiration and personal hero. F*** coronary artery disease.
  • I exchanged a few messages with Jennifer, Gordon's wife.

She has requested that any cards go to this address:

Jennifer Meredith
    PO Box 5821
    Oceanside, CA 92052

I also asked about where to make remembrances for Gordon (a charity, church, scholarship fund, GoFundMe account) and left it wide open for her to reply. She asked if there's a group that funds science education for kids. When they come up with an idea I'm sure it'll be shared back to me, and to all of us.

I envision Parallax taking an active role this week in supporting such a remembrance, either as a dollar-for-dollar, by facilitating an effort, or just supporting the effort on our own. I will give Jennifer a couple of days and inquire again to see if the family has any specific requests. If they don't, perhaps we'll come up with our own ideas here on the forum.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • Wow. -_- RIP Gordon...
  • RIP, Gordon.
  • How sad I am to hear this. Heart attacks are so sudden, devastating for family and friends. I knew Gordon mainly through the his public personality and contributions to these forums, and met him all too briefly in person at the Prop Expo. Nevertheless, Gordon was so giving and full of life and insight that I feel the loss keenly.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2018-09-17 23:46
    How bout The Gordon McComb memorial fund? Or The Gordon McComb STEM trust. Or something like that. Parallax could be the overseer of such a fund. What better way honor some one that has given so much.
    A lot of knowledge has been lost and his input will be missed.
    -dan
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-09-17 23:59
    Gordie, you were in good humor posting right up to the end. Well done mate!

Shouldn't we erect a virtual plaque? I mean, Makezine has done something and it wouldn't be a bad idea for a Parallax "Hall of Fame" with a bit of a story too. Although I didn't have any contact with Gordon there have been so many that we have known over the years that have been big contributors to this forum and Parallax. They have left behind a legacy which lends what we are here and now definition and context and meaning.