Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Badge WX, can you program it with serial instead of WiFi ? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Parallax Badge WX, can you program it with serial instead of WiFi ?

2»

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2018-09-13 00:52
    I just got one of these and after a few failed attempts at entering my wifi password I got it working. I then tried loading some compiled C code using proploader and it seemed to work fine. I also tried using telnet to talk to it from a Linux box and that mostly worked although I had some startup issues. I think telnet must do some sort of handshake at the start that the WX firmware doesn't understand. I'll have to check into that. I'm assuming it's possible to update the firmware over the air although I haven't looked up how to do it yet.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    David Betz wrote: »
    Yes, you can load Spin code wirelessly. No matter what language you start with (Blockly, C, Spin, PropBasic, FastSpin, etc) you end up with a .binary file that proploader can send wirelessly to the WX Badge.

Okay, I can load blocky programs to the Badge WX, but I don't see how to load a .binary file ?
    Is PropLoader something different ? If so where do I get PropLoader.

Bean
  • Bean wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Yes, you can load Spin code wirelessly. No matter what language you start with (Blockly, C, Spin, PropBasic, FastSpin, etc) you end up with a .binary file that proploader can send wirelessly to the WX Badge.

Okay, I can load blocky programs to the Badge WX, but I don't see how to load a .binary file ?
    Is PropLoader something different ? If so where do I get PropLoader.

Bean
    Excellent question. I guess it's like openspin and any number of other things that Parallax doesn't have an official way of distributing. I should be included with SimpleIDE but I'm not sure if it is. Parallax really needs an installer for its command line tools. You can get it from the proploader GitHub repository under the Parallax account but that's probably not what you were hoping for.
    It would be nice if the BlockyProp Client would just have a button to transfer a .binary file.

I must admit I am lost about how to use this thing...

I have uploaded a blocky program, but how do I run it again after I power down without having to reload it ?

Bean
    It would be nice if the BlockyProp Client would just have a button to transfer a .binary file.

I must admit I am lost about how to use this thing...

I have uploaded a blocky program, but how do I run it again after I power down without having to reload it ?

Bean
    Sorry, I can't help. I've never used Blockly.
    Okay, I got it working. I had to upgrade my simpleIDE program.

Bean

Bean

Upload to eeprom (instead of ram). When rebooting the badge it will countdown and run code found in eeprom, without any user interaction.